Rubber Tee Pads

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Rubber Tee Pads

Postby pjohnmeyer on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:21 am

Over in the Bridgeton Bomber thread I proposed the idea of the club purchasing a set of portable rubber tee pads. I see several applications for them, so I wanted to bring it up as its own topic.

• Improving events at courses that do not currently (or will "never") have permanent tee pads
  • Encouraging female / novice / junior participation in events by setting up short tees on longer courses
  • Allowing for quality "back 9" alternate tees for events at 9-hole courses
  • Establishing "long tees" for more competitive events intended to draw a pro field
  • Providing a quality "temporary tee" experience at courses that are still being established, or are in the process of being redesigned.

I've heard tell that some players even prefer rubber tee pads for permanent installation, although I have never played on them so I cannot speak from experience. Some of the courses that are against things like concrete tee pads due to their "permanence" might be willing to allow rubber tee pads to be installed, since they are essentially just staked in the ground. Of course, for that same reason they are subject to the risk of theft -- but I *think* this risk is much lower than with things like baskets.

Fly18's pads cost about $100 each for a 10' x 5' tee pad (90' rolls are $900), including the installation hardware. This seems pretty reasonable to me, but of course there are other options -- including just "rolling our own". (Come to think of it, maybe I should just make some...)

Thoughts?
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Re: Rubber Tee Pads

Postby legendarydave on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am

I thought of it while playing a few courses... but I honestly didn't know they even had such things. Sounds like a good idea unless there is a history of theft in the area, I mean, why would people steal rubber tee pads?
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:00 am

legendarydave wrote:why would people steal rubber tee pads?

Because they are there.
Criminals have never been known for making logical decisions.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby krazykarl on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:31 pm

"Sweet! Free rubber free tee pads." *YOINK*
krazykarl
Bogey Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Thievery shouldn't be an issue, of course, at club events -- so that still leaves most of my applications as valid.

So far the best price I've found for 90' of rubber that is comparable in width, thickness, and composition for tee pads was more costly than the fly18 pads, which include staking hardware. I did however find some narrower rubber (4' wide instead of 5') for $7.25 a linear foot. 90 feet of that only comes out to about $650. I can't imagine spending more than $100 on staking hardware for 9-holes worth. Four feet sure doesn't seem wide enough, though...

I will continue to look for bargains because I'm interested in making one or two and trying them out. Anybody else have any interest in this, or is it just me? :D
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:04 pm

I don't personally care for rubber tee pads. Last year, while playing in New York, they had rubber tee pads at one of the courses and they were very slippery when wet (que Bon Jovi). The whole point of having tee pads is additional traction, and these provided none.

Since we are really only looking for a temporary solution until the City of Bridgeton will allow us to install legitimate concrete pads, I had the idea of trying to find a hook up for old, outdoor carpet. This will keep the erosion and "mud pits" on tee pads down to a minimum while also (hopefully) providing additional traction. They would also be less tempting to thieves. Additionally, I believe we can get old/outdoor carpet for a fraction of the price that rubber tee pads would cost.

Since there are multiple tee pads at Carrollton, we could try a couple different textures and see what works best. I'm also in favor of the chat or limestone tee pads that are in Collinsville.
Just a thought...
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 pm

irwinje wrote:I don't personally care for rubber tee pads. Last year, while playing in New York, they had rubber tee pads at one of the courses and they were very slippery when wet (que Bon Jovi). The whole point of having tee pads is additional traction, and these provided none.

Yeah, I've read that the specific type of rubber used plays a large role in its wet-traction -- and how likely it is to gather gunk and grime, too. I suppose the same probably goes for outdoor carpet; I know much of it can get really slick once it gets a little dirt and moisture on it, but there are probably some options that are better than others.

Note I'm not necessarily advocating any particular solution for Bridgeton, I'm more interested in the general idea of having some temporary tee pads available.

Personally, give me a nice smooth natural pad and I'm happy... but alas the wear and tear inevitably causes problems.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:42 pm

I do think that cheap carpet remnants would be a wonderful temp tee. I've tried it out in my yard with a piece of old carpet that was 5' X 9'. It had great, natural feeling traction and was thick and firm enough to disguise most of the uneven features of the ground underneath it. I can't say that I'd want to leave it out in the rain and snow... but it would be pretty easy to roll up and take away.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Anything that goes down would have to be semi-permanent. No one is going to roll up/store weathered pads every day. Though it is hot and dry now, fall and winter will be on us before we know it and those natural tee pads will be a mess.
Another solution would be 1/2" minus (fine gravel) that would help with traction and drainage. However, this would be a sizable investment to get 4' wide X 9' long X 2" depth for 36 tee pads. I also believe anything we do want to install will require the City of Bridgeton's approval
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 am

The original post is more about having portable pads for tournaments and other events, not about something permanent.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk