The Carrollton Concrete Conundrum: an Out of Bounds Discussion

Bridgeton, MO

Re: The Bridgeton Bomber - July 14th

Postby discdoh on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:31 pm

The answer is...

YES, you get relief from the OB boundary (concrete edge) at all times without penalty (as long as you are not actually OB to begin with). You get 1 meter of relief...or 3 footsteps (end-to-end). It is not legal to play with any part of your body out of bounds, so the relief should clear this up. When all else fails, your card should come up with the most logical choice and play it as such. It never hurts to play both scenarios and then ask questions later too...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Mike_R on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:56 pm

ok. given this definition, there is only one outlier condition I can think of.

If you are near the road, you could take relief, which would put you on the sidewalk, which gives you further relief, which ultimately ends up giving you about 3 meters of relief from your original spot.

Honestly can't remember how much space is between sidewalk and road, so maybe this would never really be an issue.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not trying to be a stickler. I'm an engineer, this is just how my addled brain works.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Mike_R wrote:If you are near the road, you could take relief, which would put you on the sidewalk, which gives you further relief, which ultimately ends up giving you about 3 meters of relief from your original spot.

Wouldn't relief, in this case, mean 'towards the basket' rather than away from it?
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Mike_R on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Stubborn Puppet wrote:
Mike_R wrote:If you are near the road, you could take relief, which would put you on the sidewalk, which gives you further relief, which ultimately ends up giving you about 3 meters of relief from your original spot.

Wouldn't relief, in this case, mean 'towards the basket' rather than away from it?

Well, I've never understood being able to get a relief drop or drop from out of bounds closer to the basket. In ball golf, you never drop closer to the hole.

But to clearify my statement above, I was thinking you could take relief from the road, only to hopscotch across the sidewalk, thus improving your line more than anything.

I'm was trying to find an official definiton for "water hazard" or "lateral hazard" or any other type of hazard in disc golf, but it sounds like they only define "out-of-bounds". Ball golf allows you to hit out of a water hazard, but I see no such provision for disc golf on the pdga. It looks like they use OB as an all-inclusive way of dealing with every type of hazard.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:12 pm

People can play it however they choose during casual rounds. It is up to the TD to determine ruling during the tournament. I usually play all concrete as OB.

Relief gives you room for an approach as long as relief is not granted in the direction of the basket, it must be a lateral movement away from both the point of OB and the basket.

That said OB will come into play on ALMOST EVERY HOLE so I'm sure it'll all be covered in the player's meeting. Once a final determination is made, we'll put notices on the tee posts to let people know how to play it.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:25 pm

Mike_R wrote:
Stubborn Puppet wrote:

Well, I've never understood being able to get a relief drop or drop from out of bounds closer to the basket. In ball golf, you never drop closer to the hole.

Oh crap, I misread you. That's why I was confused... thought you were saying closer by saying that, "If you're in the street, the relief drop gets you onto the sidewalk which gets you onto the lawns..." I get you now.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Seems like playing on or over sidewalks/roads. Will make things much less complicated. Also the rate of play may increase, since there would not be a discussion every time there is a possible OB shot, on where to drop. Unless you put in drop zones. The way it sounds right now is that there are now two OB lines on all the holes that have sidewalks/roads. And only one OB line on the holes that have only road. This is a first in my 25+yrs of playing. Either way its the TDs call on ground rules for any given tourny. Im sure whomever runs the next tourny at the same course will make changes to the ground rules to fit that particular set up. To keep everyone moving at a good pace, and safe.
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby schimmy on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:03 am

I read the earlier comments and had to chime in. It doesn't matter if the relief moves you closer to the basket. You take relief perpendicular from the OB line.

From the PDGA rulebook 803.09

B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the
lie closer to the hole; or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
schimmy
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:25 am

Now that this topic is totally derailed...
I am presuming, from inference, that there is some reason why the sidewalks have to be OB. What does the rulebook say about that? Something to do with concrete that isn't a designated teepad or something?
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Here is the rule: 803.09 Out-of-Bounds http://www.pdga.com/rules/80309-out-of-bounds
There is no delineation of what is out of bounds (besides water), but the "out-of-bounds area" is usually set by the TD.

Here is some more good reading on OB http://www.pdga.com/ob-one-can-know-thee

To read all the rules please go here: http://www.pdga.com/rules
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Carrollton Park