wisconsonnites planning March disc trip

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

wisconsonnites planning March disc trip

Postby tallpaul on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 pm

A friend of mine and I are planning to come your way and throw late March/early April. Hopefully, it will be warm and green (at least better than here, near Green Bay, Wisconsin). We are looking for players to join us in play as well as a floor to sleep on for an evening if possible. I plan on bringing home made wooden gifts to say thanks for the resting spot and will offer a future stay in my home, in Appleton WI (home of the 98 AM WORLDS). I've been playing since the late 1980s. Have played well over 100 links in Wis. and 38 states total. Would really like to meet and hang out/play with a few locals/LAKERS. The LAKER crew seems an awesome/fun group, judging by postings. Anyone interested in offering some St. Louis area hospitality?
Thanks,
Paul Anderson
tallpaul
Bogey Poster

Re: wisconsonnites planning March disc trip

Postby emptv on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Disc up Paul,

Great to hear that you are coming into town to share the fun from the great state of Wisconson with those of us that say "show me." And contrary to popular misbelieve " We do need those stinkin badgers",my apoligies to Mr. Mel Brooks for the poor pun. I would love to play some rounds and introduce you to some of our courses. We have around 1 1/2 dozen courses in the greater Saint Louis Area with 4 to 6 more within 11/2 hours drive out including Albert Oakland in Columbia, MO which has two 18 hole courses in 1 park.
If the boss, my lovely wife, agrees we might me able to put you up for a bit. I work days 8-4:30 but many of the fellow golfers that I know are free at other times and they could show you around as well. I would love to bring y'all out to THE TRAVELING LAKER LEAGUE comedy show. Usually this is a Sunday affair but we try to switch to a weekday schedule during the longer daylight hours.
Keep reading the post & keep me up abreast, (gidditty), of your situation on comng into town and I will talk it over with my "boss". You can contact me with the private messaging section, or you can get my phone #'s from the tab with phone #'s. Or of course you can post it here and we will go from there.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 am

Gateway is hosting a PDGA tournament the last weekend of March at the famous Ozark mountain courses. Two days of camping (or hotel lodging nearby) plus extreme elevation changes make for a memorable event.
http://www.pdga.com/event?TournID=8633
Hope you can include this in your travels.
Chris K
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Lazerface on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 am

ummm I love Cheese. It would be cool to play with some out-of-towners. Ignore anything posted by Chris K. He is a crazy old man, and he is probably communicating through a stolen computer. Home-made wooden gifts? Interesting. :mrgreen:
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby tallpaul on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Wonderful of you lads to respond to my announcement. I wasn't sure how much time I would be spending your side of the border, looks like at least a day. I hadn't added up your numbers....dozen and one half courses!!!! I've previously played Quail Ridge, White Birch, and the front nine, twice, at Sioux Passage. Have since learned through your site, that you must travel to find back nine :D Enjoyed all three. Don't think I'm gonna have the time for the tourney; and am thinking probably the week after anyway. Looking for that warm weather....Though I've gotten myself so fired up to come and play, that I would leave tonight were everything not snow covered and chilly. I did get out for 27 at our toughest course late this afternoon. Tees were even shoveled clear after recent snow fall. Managed to throw par, not bad for winter. The darn back nine (at O'Hauser Park, Menasha, WI) has been kickin' me this winter. ;) Think I'm gonna take Bruce up on his lodging offer if that works out. Look forward to seeing you guys on the links.
I'm planning on hitting the Illinois side courses on the way to you, i.e. Collinsville, Rock Springs, SIU Edwardsville (is this one worth the trip, and are parking tickets as ominous as some posts say?), and Roxanna. Anything I should know about these?

Thanks again, Paul
tallpaul
Bogey Poster

Postby emptv on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:38 am

Disc up,

Avoid SIU-Edwardsville. It is not really worth the time or effort. :oops: It has a disjointed layout at best, with some shots bordering on possibly being dangerous, ie., the one where you shoot blindly around 1 building and between 2 buildings is where the pin is. If you want to play it just to mark it as 1 played then it can be ok but it is not a serious course IMHO.
I am not knocking any course, but if you only have a limited amount of time then this would be on the bottom 1/2 of your course wishlist, allthough it is not to terribly far from Fast Eddies Bon Aire, a local watering hole of great delight mainly because of thier low food prices and great taste, but it is only blocks from the course at Alton. I wonder if anyone over there has hit them up for sponsership, just a idea.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby Lazerface on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm

If you guys come to st louis play Jefferson Barracks, Indicott Park, and Sioux Passage no matter what.
We recently installed a course in Alton Illinois, which is supposed to be big and challenging, a lot of fun from what i hear. Quail ridge is a nicely kept park, and great putter and mid-range practice. White birch was built for plastic frisbees and can be played completely with a putter, but what an atmosphere. The other 9-holers dont get much hype because they have poor designs or boring formats. There is several courses that I am leaving out, and somewhere there is a local guy saying it is the best course around, but they are stupid, and bad at disc golf. There is another new course in Unger Park which is cool for tournaments but very demanding for casual rounds. Almost everyone i've talked to has lost several discs in the muddy lake. They are not the type of water holes that you can simply "play it safe" on. It has some really cool holes, and if you play it, play it in the winter, because it will not be a summer course for years.

Columbia is an hour and a half west of St. Louis and has some courses that are really worth visiting. If you can skip the illinois trip and save room for Columbia you will not regret it. The Ozark courses are also worth a trip to experience the mind-boggling Dave Mac set ups. Its all about the shot selection baby.
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:24 pm

emptv wrote:Disc up,

Avoid SIU-Edwardsville. It is not really worth the time or effort. :oops: It has a disjointed layout at best, with some shots bordering on possibly being dangerous, ie., the one where you shoot blindly around 1 building and between 2 buildings is where the pin is. If you want to play it just to mark it as 1 played then it can be ok but it is not a serious course IMHO.
I am not knocking any course, but if you only have a limited amount of time then this would be on the bottom 1/2 of your course wishlist, allthough it is not to terribly far from Fast Eddies Bon Aire, a local watering hole of great delight mainly because of thier low food prices and great taste, but it is only blocks from the course at Alton. I wonder if anyone over there has hit them up for sponsership, just a idea.

8-)

i'd suggest avoiding roxana as well. no elevation change, a handful of trees, and an otherwise short and boring course (plus it's only 9 holes). if you're coming to the St.L area to play, woodland park (collinsville) and rockspring (alton) are the only two worth making the trip for in illinois. best bet is to start at woodland in the morning then hit up rockspring in the afternoon, then retire to fast eddie's in the evening. as another said, it's a great bar, and you can get there from rockspring inside of 5 minutes. plus the bridge to cross back over the river and get to missouri is less than 1/2 a mile away from the bar
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby emoney on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:13 am

I stay a couple blocks from quail ridge park, which is great! I've heard so many people that love the collinsville coarse. i really do suggest it. As far as the coarses i've played, Endicott would be the best. Its challenging(even to the pros at 08' STL Open) and it would teach any player the game 'cause of its diverse shots(elevation, narrow paths from the tee and most are pretty long shots, and HUGE trees everywhere). Lets put it this way. Par on Endicott is a great score! Let me know what u decide n maybe i can meet you. Good luck fellow frolfer!
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby dahig on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:41 pm

rockspring (alton) are the only two worth making the trip for in illinois.

awwwww.....mike, :cry:
you must not get out much. :D
you NEED to get a hold of me so i can show you at LEAST one course worth making the trip for.
FOUNDATION PARK,centralia.
ask around,pick a day soon,make a little drive,THEN tell me what you think!!
dahig
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk