The Carrollton Concrete Conundrum: an Out of Bounds Discussion

Bridgeton, MO

The Carrollton Concrete Conundrum: an Out of Bounds Discussion

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:20 am

JBA wrote:Not possitive yet on pin placements as of now, plans are to move baskets on Thursday and paint boxes again. Think we will use the RED tees for the first round, so everyone can get an idea of the layout and the CTP's. Second round will be from tihe BLUE tees, should make for a good mix of shots. It is the "Bridgeton Bomber" after all. If you do happen to throw into the bamboo on 5,6,&7 please step lightly. The bamboo takes a long time to mature, and this is the only course w/ any on it in the area. Oh yeah... any plastic on or over the sidewalks and/or roads is O.B.

Everyone I've talked to has been playing the sidewalks as in & only the roads & across as O.B. So.......are you sure the sidewalks are also O.B. ......... :?: :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Re: The Bridgeton Bomber - July 14th

Postby irwinje on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 am

If we're treating the concrete like water then the sidewalks would be out as well. The streets lead into what used to be driveways, which connect to the sidewalks. An easier way to put it is, if you are surrounded by concrete, then you are out of bounds, whether it be on the street or sidewalk.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 am

In my opinion; the best solution would be:
1. Treat the roads as ob; on or over, not touching any grass is out of bounds.
2. Treat the sidewalks and aprons as OB but more like a creek, you can be in bounds if you are in between the sidewalk and road and not surrounded by concrete.
3. any grass growing out of the cement but is surrounded by cement is OB.

The sidewalks as barriers would actually omit nearly 10-15 percent of the course, do we really want to do that?

However we do it; lets get it hammered out Soon.

Mark Kane
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 am

Once again Kane has made this way to complex. Its very simple, ON AND/OR OVER THE SIDEWALKS AND ROADS IS CONSIDERED O.B. if you land in the so called "landing strip" between the roads and sidewalks its O.B.
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby bean928 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Rules are rules as long as everyone is informed and plays by them then it doesn't matter. Just like the par everyone is playing the same course and same tees. The course is already tight. It doesn't need any extra help really. I have been playing grass as long as its not sticking out in the middle of the sidewalk it's in. Roads ob is a given as well as the sidewalks. However that landing strip on five is nice spot to hit sometimes but I'm up for the challenge. Hopefully I can make it!
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:21 am

Not trying to be an ass or anything but.........JBA, who exactly are you, anyway......just curious....... :?: :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 am

Honestly, guys, let's not turn this into a pissing match before we even get the first event at Carrollton DGC in the books. Since I am TDing The Bomber, I will tell you my thoughts, however...

- all concrete is played as a water hazard...take your stroke and relief. This includes the sidewalks. This does not include manholes or random spots of concrete in the fairways. Since there is an excessive amount of zoysia that has crept over the defined edges of the concrete, the connected grass will be considered in bounds. If it is green grass and is connected to actual dirt bound grass, you are in bounds. The strip of grass between the sidewalk and road is real grass and therefore is in bounds. I simply think there is too much room for varied interpretation if we treat the concrete as anything other than a traditional water hazard. As long as you aren't surrounded by concrete, you are good to go.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:45 am

discdoh wrote: The strip of grass between the sidewalk and road is real grass and therefore is in bounds. I simply think there is too much room for varied interpretation if we treat the concrete as anything other than a traditional water hazard. As long as you aren't surrounded by concrete, you are good to go.

X2 - I agree with this completely -- this is how the course should always be played
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I was talking general play when all is ob. In the case of a touny, well TD has call on all ground rules and should be announced during the players meeting. Reason being that all should be ob is that, the area between sidewalk and road has become parking all along holes 1,9,&10. Which means that 3 of the 18 holes will be played different ftom the rest.
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby Mike_R on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:23 pm

discdoh wrote:- all concrete is played as a water hazard...take your stroke and relief. This includes the sidewalks.

Not trying to be a stickler, but ...

if concrete is played as a water hazard, do you get relief if you are "in bounds," but the pavement interfers with your footing? I'm guessing no, regardless off whether you are close to street or sidewalk.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Next

Return to Carrollton Park