Silver Lake Park Highland, IL

Highland, IL

Re: Silver Lake Park Highland, IL

Postby jvonbokel on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:09 pm

I played this course with a friend on 8/16 and it was completely empty. We did encounter the wasps on hole 13, and my friend got bit on the shoulder. He also went back a few days later though, and said they were making improvements to the course (new tee pads).

Also, I found a course map on the City of Highland website:
http://www.ci.highland.il.us/Public_Documents/HighlandIL_ParkRec/DiscGolf
jvonbokel

Postby dehaas on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 am

yeah, the tee at hole 1 was moved back a bit, hole 6 was moved, hole 8 was moved, hole 12 was moved, hole 13 was moved, hole 15 was moved, and hole 16 was moved. all of the tees moved make the holes tougher, which i don't mind. some of the b pin placements are insane, i know 17 for sure is going to be crazy. i like the new placements for holes 12, 15, and 16 also.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:37 am

I played Highland on Friday and I like some of the new pin placements on the front 9. They add some challenge and bring the water into play more. The new placements I saw on the front were 1,2,4,5,6, 8 & 9

The back had some new placements too, but the big changes there were the new tee pads, which were absolutely retarded. Whoever moved the tee pads for 11, 13 & 15 should be shot because they actually made the holes worse. The new pin placements were mostly ok (other than 17) but the new tee pads were just dumb.

I think they could have been left alone or (if the really needed to be moved, like 13 & 15 w/ the additional placement for 14) there were far better places. Now, on both 13 & 15, you have to basically throw a lay up to get to the fairway, or throw a ridiculously low percentage shot and even then you likely won't see the pin on 15.

I'm all for including difficult shots in any course, but you should be able to score on that hole if you throw a great shot. These new arrangements are not for the betterment of the course, they actually take beautiful holes and give it an unorganized choppy feel. Also, if you're going to move tee pads, then 18 should be moved to incorporate another long, straight tunnel shot since I think that would be a great way to end a round.
Last edited by irwinje on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:40 am

Other than those 3 new tee pads on the back 9, I love this course!
Last edited by irwinje on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:54 pm

While I haven't seen the new pin placements yet, nor have I seen the new tees at hole # 13, etc., the tee change at hole # 11 is TERRIBLE!!! Just plain freaking stupid........& it sounds like a great hole like # 13 has now been ruined. WHY?? I have to totally agree with Jeff I. here, this is an awesome course that is being made WORSE instead of better by some of these changes! :roll: It's cool to hear of B placements now, I'm all for that, but, why change the tees on holes # 11, # 13, & # 15 when they were just fine where they were in the first place....... :?: :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Does anyone know who made the changes? The tee posts were broken out of the concrete and moved then re-concreted, so I assume its either the original designer, parks dept or the local DG club. Any ideas?

On the brighter side, the new bridges on hole 6 are nice, albeit unnecessary.
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 pm

i've never heard the official word on 11's pad as far as why it was moved. from my understanding the course is still a work in progress, so maybe some kinks get worked out. i agree with the lay up shot on 13, but don't mind 15's new tee so much. i'd say a lot of the holes out on the back 9 are a par 3.5...if it was a par 3 you wouldn't see any 2s, but if you make it a par 4 a lot of people will shoot 4 but a 3 isn't overly difficult.

on 15 i've been laying up into the fairway and then tossing a tomahawk over the pine trees for a look at 3. it's not a super difficult 3, it's just a matter of having a clean putt at it. somebody who doesn't throw an overhand shot might have a harder time with it. i do like the idea of making 18s tee a tunnel shot.
dehaas
Ace Poster

LAKERS @ Silver Lake Park Highland, IL

Postby emptv on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 am

Disc Up,
On Sunday December 4th, 2011 The Traveling LAKERS will be shooting a round at Silver Lakes DGC in Highland, IL. We will meet by tee pad #1 around 9 am. Come on out and experience the wonder and absurdity that is Traveling LAKER disc golf.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $199/$112
Sweeps= $5/$16
Fun= $378
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:32 pm

i made my way out to silver lake again yesterday, this time with five other guys for a fellow golfers' birthday celebration. regardless of whether or not i personally like all of the new-ish tee and pin placements (i don't particularly, although some of the new pin spots are definitely a good/fair challenge), the course is looking/playing great and those involved in getting and keeping the course in the shape it's in are to be commended.

some of the improvements:
* 2-4 inch, orange painted tee markers at the front corners of each tee
* all 18 tees spread with wood-chips
* good mix of the 'A' and 'B' placements currently in use
* orange capped PVC markers for the unused pin placements
* laminated Hole # signs stapled to each tee post (some have gotten water-logged/smeared, but still a welcome addition)
* very nice set of stairs from the green of #7 to #8's tee
* nice bridges/walkways installed over several elevation changes/water collection areas

again, kudos to those doing the work. anyone who hasn't yet made the trip is missing out- silver lake is definitely, in my opinion, one of the most picturesque and enjoyable courses in the area...and that's saying something considering its competition!

click here to get more details on the Silver Lake DG Course on our Courses Page.

ted spies
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Silver Lake Park Highland, IL

Postby emptv on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Disc up,
Sunday July 1, 2012 in Highland, IL around 9am on tee pad #1 at Silver Lakes DGC with the LAKERS.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $199/$112
Sweeps= $5/$16
Fun= $378
emptv
Ace Poster