Herever to be known as "Suburbia"

Bridgeton, MO

Herever to be known as "Suburbia"

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:01 am

Got to go play at "Carrollton Park" last night. Considering the landscape and being as that there aren't any signs indicating that it is a park... I am unofficially renaming this course "Suburbia"!

If you like surprises, this is a SPOILER!

How wonderful to see what was a result of the airport expansion become something great. The whole course is built across what was originally a neighborhood. The sewer system, the streets and all of the graded lots for at least 50 homes... but all the houses are gone. I can't decide if it makes me sad or makes me laugh as I send my discs travelling out across suburban lawns - imagining it travelling across birdbaths, swingsets, barbeque grills, swimming pools, minivans parked in driveways and possibly even in throught the neighbors window. However you look at it, it's damn entertaining.

Now, the navigation is a bit of a nightmare... you will need a map. Sometimes you will be walking right past two or three tees which look like they should be the next tee, but aren't. Many times the walk to the next tee is a couple of blocks down and across the street . I'm not complaining, I'm sure that there were many compromises that had to be made in order to fit 18 quality holes into this very unique space.

There is a good mix of variety and distance here. Never boring, just about the right challenge level in most spots and fun to play all around. The holes for all 3 pin positions at each are in the ground. Markings for 2-3 tee pads on every hole are present and looking good (no concrete has been poured yet, but the positions are good). Overall, this could easily become one of my favorite destinations.

There are a couple of places where I am thinking that a small tree(s) and low, dangling branches (usually crummy mimosa trees) will eventually be cut down or trimmed back (especially on 13) because it is almost impossible to get a disc along the fairway because of them. In fact, last night we saw many players who were forced to throw out of bounds because there was really no other way to get around.

ONE PROBLEM: Um, I don't know if anyone else notices this, but the Gateway Titan basket on hole 4 is defective. The ring that runs around the bottom of the basket to keep the discs from slipping out is missing on this one. Had a really great second throw that would have been a birdie... but it went right through the bottom of the bucket and onto the ground. I still chose to count that as a 2, but this basket absolutely needs to be replaced. I mean, how do you overlook something like that when manufacturing it?

HEADS UP! Do be very mindful of the fact that there is no parking lot and people will be parked all over the streets that run through the course. Sometimes the fairways are a little more narrow than we are used to and a disc could easily hit a tree or fly off it's intended course right towards a car or, even worse, an unsuspecting person getting in or out of a car. Just be observant and don't throw 'till you're totally clear.

WAG OF THE FINGER! I don't recognize you, but you know who you are. I did not appreciate being your personal janitor last night. I followed a group of 3 guys carrying a whole case of Coors and, even though I confronted you about it twice by the time we'd made it to hole 7, continued picking up your crushed, empty cans at almost every hole. I realize there are no trash cans here yet, but if I was able to enjoy my game and still carry 12 of your empty cans for you, I would expect that you could have managed to find the strength between the three of you. You sirs, are bad people.

So, go play Suburbia - it's pretty darn awesome.
Last edited by Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: Herever to be known as "Suburbia"

Postby legendarydave on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes... yes it is...
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:26 am

Man......everybody NEEDS to be cool & NOT leave any trash behind while playing Bridgeton! Hopefully some trash cans will happen eventually. And yeah, they know about the basket on hole #4, I would assume that it'll get replaced or fixed soon.

This place is just disc golf heaven.......just perfect for us! I played it Wed. in the heat & enjoyed it very much.......for the most part. There is quite a bit of walking from hole to next tee at times....I think more attention was spent on the holes themselves than to make it flow better. But that is a minor quibble!

There were a couple of possibly Bridgeton officials or something out there......they asked us if we had a tee time, jokingly.......this place is going to be so popular that we might have to do tee times in the future! And there is SOO much more land out there......I could easily see another 18 holes sometime in the future as well.....
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 am

From another post...

Carrollton Park DGC will remain natural tee pads for the first couple years per request of the City of Bridgeton. If everything goes well for the initial time frame, they will then consider allowing further construction. They will also do their part and build bathroom and parking facilities. This is only if we behave like responsible golfers however, so KEEP IT CLEAN!

Also, yes, the Hole 4 basket issue is going to be resolved ASAP. Gateway does not make the baskets themselves, so it is up to the fabricator that screwed it up to get it right. Let's hope it doesn't take too long. Until then, the retro-fit will have to do...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks Greg!
Glad to know someone is paying attention.

I sure hope they reconsider those concrete tees. It's already turning really dusty and soon to be a muddy dish where the tees are. I just can't figure out why so many think that a concrete tee is so hard to remove; I could literally remove a whole concrete tee by myself in under 30 minutes.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby legendarydave on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:43 am

Concrete tees would easily put this course at my #1 ranking (hey I've only been here since June 3 and have made it to 6 courses so I'm not doing too bad... If work hadn't called me in I coulda done 2 more with the lakers... but this weather is kinda killing my mid-day play)!
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Not to be a nay-sayer, but concrete tee pads cost around $150/each, at the least, and TONS of effort to coordinate and install. If this course is just going to be trashed, then the RCF has to be responsible and wait and see, as well. That is a rabbit hole that will have to be explored later...

Considering the full range of options, good natural tee pads are some of my favorites. That said, they do require a bit of constant maintenace to keep them from being a pit of despair. This will be a good learning experience on how to make it work as best we can. If anyone has any expertise/help/implementation to offer, please consider helping out.

As always, donations are always accepted.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm sorry Doh. I do not mean to detract from all the hard work and planning that have gone into this course. I have a habit of being too honest and pointing out the basket 4 issue and the pads without having been involved in the installation must sound a bit "bitchy". I hope you can trust that I was just speaking straight and not meaning it as nitpicking.

Count me in for one of the pads then - both paying and building. I haven't had too many experiences with natural tees that I could really say that I liked much... unless you count the ones at Woodland Chains as natural. I'll start researching what options there are and report to you what I've discovered and take the time to learn how to construct and maintain something reasonable while we work through the "probation" period with the city.

On a positive note, I did not see any new trash on the course today and the bags hanging at each tee post were being appropriately utilized. Thanks to whoever put them there. I also talked with a guy who I've seen playing out there the last two times that lives in the apartments next door to the course. I spoke to him about being the local eyes of the course and how he could really be a huge champion for this course by speaking politely and trying to convince people who are being inconsiderate about how important it is for all players to be on their best behavior and treat this course with utmost respect.

Thanks again.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby bean928 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:14 am

I hope people don't use it as their ashtray either. I've played a round and a half and itching to go back to crevecott
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:31 am

bean928 wrote:I hope people don't use it as their ashtray either. I've played a round and a half and itching to go back to crevecott

Crevecott????????? Huh? :?: :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Carrollton Park