DC Rodgers in Fayette

non-STL-area and Private DG Courses in Missouri

DC Rodgers in Fayette

Postby hoogiegirl on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Steve and I decided we were going to play this course this year.

You DEFINITELY need a local to take you through the course. The "tee signs" are located right next to the baskets. There are no maps. The tee signs tell you what basket it is next to and how far the hole is supposed to be. There are no indications as to which direction the next tee is supposed to be. There are no tee box markings whatsoever.

Steve and I wandered around for a bit and decided that our exhaustion (from staying up with friends), the heat and the poor signage was not going to make for happy Hoogs. We drove on home.

I hope this improves in the future. the Lake is very nice and it really is nice to have a course so close to the college.
hoogiegirl
Bogey Poster

Re: DC Rodgers in Fayette

Postby pjohnmeyer on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Wow. I've been curious about this course as that is my hometown -- my dad owns a farm in the area. I always point out with a little bit of (sarcastic) country boy pride that the baskets are "Home Made". I hope at least those met your approval.

I'll see if I can find out who is "in charge" of it and have a word.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby hoogiegirl on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:40 pm

LOL! It is where I went to college. I can pass the info on to someone involved in city government on facebook, no need. We were initially excited! We will have to see if we can find a map and figure it out.
hoogiegirl
Bogey Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 am

I keep running into more and more people with connections to Central ... odds are you drove past my dad's farm (right off route EE) on more than one occasion, then.

I've already passed the word on, but it never hurts to have the ears of multiple people. One comment is a nuisance; two turns into "people have been complaining." :)
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby hoogiegirl on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:36 pm

The nice thing about the homemade baskets, at least with these you don't get "frenched" like you do in Ste. Gen. It is nice that the basket angles up properly!
hoogiegirl
Bogey Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Here is the response I received from the City of Fayette:

We are in the process of moving the disc golf course to the City Park so it is easier to use and maintain. I am not certain that it will happen this summer but the plans are to have it completed by 2013. This project is being driven by Tony Cook and the Howard County Health and Wellness Council.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I will be glad take comments and suggestions for the move to the City Park and share with others for the best possible course we can design.

This is probably a good thing.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby ustenido on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Mr. Tony Cook & the Howard County County Health & Wellness Council (HCCHW) spearheaded an extremely positive disc golf campaign in Fayette, MO. Tony recognized the dire need of change for the course at DC Rogers Lake, and he appreciated the healthy benefits of playing our beloved sport. In turn, he created a 3 part program:

1. In 2012, promote the sport of disc golf to Fayette residents and encourage them to play the course at DC Rogers.
2. Relocate the [homeade] baskets at DC Rogers to the City Park in town ...Fayette has around 1100 residents, plus 1400ish at the school. If you can't find the city park, you have bigger problems :)
* the new course, has signs at the natural teeing area. 9 holes total. And has a decent flow. It is designed for rec players, and is par'd accordingly (low 30s).
3. 2013-2015 consult a member of the Disc Golf Course Designers Group and install at least one 18 hole PDGA sanctioned championship course at DC Rogers Lake.
* Tony and the HCCHW have permission to install the aforementioned course as soon as they can afford the equipment for sanctioned baskets, tee pads & tee sings AND if they have enough volunteers to maintain the portion of the park that contains the course. The reason for this is that the City of Fayette is so small that they employ two full time workers to maintain the city's landscape; and DC Rogers is enormous. So it gets mowed a handful of times a year. Tony is hopeful that over the next year or two, enough locals will grow into regular players, resulting in volunteers to keep the fairways mowed.

My $.02s:

What Tony has done for disc golf in Fayette over the last two years has taken me 5 years to accomplish in Columbia, MO - update signs at Albert-Oakland courses and Indian Hills, update the Oakland's 'Top' course Mach 1s to Mach 3s, relocate old baskets to parks throughout town, as well as get a PDGA Championship Course (construction at Strawn Park starts this summer - stay tuned!). It's very easy to criticize crappy courses, and rightfully so. But Tony Cook truly has taken up the mantle as an advocate for disc golf. And I sincerely hope all works out according to plan in Fayette, MO. Moreover, if it does work out then the CDGC and/or Boosters can host a big tourney between the STL and KC Opens. We'll be loaded up with 2 decent courses, a world class course, the Top course =) & hypothetically a championship course 25 miles north in Fayette, and two great courses 25 miles south in Jefferson City.

All in all, I apologize to those who had poor experiences with mid MO courses in the past. But I assure you that the tides have changed. If you would like additional info on any of these related topics, please contact me by phone or email.

Sincerely,

Skyler ML Babcock
573 881 7139
ustenido@gmail.com

Co-Founder, Columbia Disc Golf Boosters

Advocate for the President's Challenge

Mayor's Council for Health & Physical Fitness

Member, Disc Golf Course Designers

Assistant Officer, Columbia Disc Golf Club (CDGC)
ustenido

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 am

Albert Oakland's top course is actually, finally, going to get new baskets?? Talk about something long overdue..... :!:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Return to Other Missouri Courses