So whats the official stance on bag tags...?

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Re: So whats the official stance on bag tags...?

Postby gflap on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:11 am

Tags are always on the line. However, I have heard of people giving someone the opportunity to win back a decent tag the next time they play. Silly in my mind. Tags are a piece of plastic just like that thing you are throwing.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby Bison on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Easy flapper
Bison
Par Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:58 pm

The official, un-written RCF rule on this is that tags should always be in play. The only reason that you should not put your tag on the line is if you "forgot" it at home or you are playing doubles. This is the only way that you can weasle out of a tag battle if you are adhering to the spirit of the hole thing. Remember, it is only a piece of plastic that has a number on it. It is not an indication of your manliness, or lack thereof...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Some people take the tags way too serious...others could care less. Personally I don't care about them at all. What matters to me is those that do sign up for the different clubs are supporting disc golf for the respective club. That is what it should be about. I know for the SCCDGC the # 1 tag was won at the club champs and the person who won it won't play for it. I don't like the fact that the # 1 tag was taken out of play after the very first event, but it's not up to me to decide what someone should do with a tag they paid for. Just like I don't like people writing their names or logos on tags they have had in their possesion (yes, I'm calling you out Flapper!)...it's not up to me to decide. I've seen too many arguments and/or disagreements come up for a piece of plastic with a # on it that I could care less about them. I still like having a tag on my bag regardless of the # to show my support for the clubs that take care of the courses I play for free.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:47 pm

I always assume that in singles play tags are up for grabs, but not everybody thinks this way -- or stops to think about it. Honestly I forget about it more often than not. I think the entire conversation can be summed up in a few simple guidelines.

Before you play a round:

• If you think you are playing for tags, speak up. Make sure everybody else (that is a club member) agrees. (This is in keeping with the spirit of the rules of disc golf, which often fall on player agreement.)
  • Make sure everybody with a tag actually has his or her tag with them.

I see it as being just that simple. There is nothing mandating anybody to put his or her tag on the line at any point. You or I as an individual may not like it, but all we can do is be good sports about it. You can always choose to just walk away from the round before it starts if you feel that strongly.

But, then again, I'm probably never going to threaten for any kind of top spot. :)

Personally, I find the River City Ratings and PDGA player ratings far more intriguing than what tag # you have.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:35 am

The tags can be very frustrating at times.......I've learned over the years to care less & less about what # is hanging on my bag! I've heard that -- "I've already got a challenge" stuff a bunch of times. And then playing in tournaments, getting on a card with some top notch players.....& they've all got, ugly three digits tags while I've got the only decent one (and not for long).

And discdoh made a good point....tags should (obviously) be a singles thing.......I've been playing doubles (or even a 3-Man thing!) with someone wanting to play for tags, how the hell is that supposed to work?? I think in general Magic summed up the whole tag situation quite well.......

Oh and one more thing.......it is ridiculous (and it happens ALL the time), when a player doesn't have their tag with them! It's at home, it's wherever.....it's called a "bag tag" for a reason, why would you EVER have your tag anywhere other than on or in your bag....... :?: :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

So whats the official stance on bag tags...?

Postby emptv on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Disc Up,
The LAKERS generally view the "bag tags" as a receipt for greens fees for that clubs courses, and going from there, if I play for tags I will generally pick up the highest # tag out there :lol: when we are done. The numbers on the tags NEVER rate how much fun I have when I play anyway.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm

growing up as a kid my dad always said, if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best. i think tags are more bragging rights than anything, and it's super weak when somebody gets a low tag and then sits on it and won't defend it. to me all that says is that you shot out of your mind for a round and took a low tag from somebody better than you, and know you will cough it up next time you play. i've always been a firm believer of the law of averages, some days you're hot, others you may suck it up. it's not that the tags really mean anything, if you have the #3 tag that doesn't necessarily mean you are the third best player in the club... :roll:
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby f-b-i- on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 pm

In 2002 was the first bag tag challenge. It was always on the line. If you seen me out on the course i had too play for it, unless i was already in a match at the time. We could never use the excuse ive got a challenge with so and so in the morning,or sat of next week, or im only practicing. You played or you went home. We also had a thread that called out the player that would not play for their tag. (you did not want to be on that list) Back then it was run by gateway. Dave had the last word. Give out 2 tags so u can keep 1 and play the other.
f-b-i-
Bogey Poster

Postby MADDISC on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Roger you were the first person to leave your tag at home!
MADDISC
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General DG Talk