So whats the official stance on bag tags...?

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

So whats the official stance on bag tags...?

Postby ScottJB on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I would like to get a consensus opinion on something that happened to me today. I drove out to Engler Park in Farmington to see what was up with it. I arrived and saw a local practicing putts on 18, so I asked if he was going to play a round, as I could really use and appreciate a guide, as I had never played the course before. He said sure, and we started small talking, whereupon I revealed my St. Louis origin. He asked if I was in the club, and I responded "3 clubs actually, Flyers, St. Chuck and JCS." He said that he was also in the JCS. I was like, "perfect man, we can play for tags, as I rarely see other people with JCS tags, and I still have the same one that I bought at the St. Louis Open. Here is where it gets dicey. He reveals that he has the number 2 tag, but cannot play for it because "someone has already challenged me for it"...? In my head, I am screaming "ya, its me, the guy right in front of you with a JCS tag with whom you are about to play a round with!", but I didnt say anything.
"It is a fools prerogative to utter truths that noone else will speak..." ~ Dream
ScottJB
Bogey Poster

Re: So whats the official stance on bag tags...?

Postby ScottJB on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 pm

I want to make it very clear that he was a super nice dude, gave me great hole descriptions and shot advice, and he was good. There is a reason he has the 2 tag. He ultimately even beat me, +1 to my +3, but something bothers me about the rules of tags changing when you get a low one, and this insinuation that I have to reserve a slot to challenge someone for it. I mean, seriously, what does that even mean "someone challenged me for it", so, I get the number 1 tag, hang it on my wall untill Dec 31 when my buddy is going to play me for it, cuz, you know, he challenged me for it...So Im asking all of you, what should I think of the situation? Im quickly getting soured on the idea of buying other clubs tags, as I also have played 2 weeks in the Quail league, and noone ever trades tags, I still have the one I got when I bought it...
"It is a fools prerogative to utter truths that noone else will speak..." ~ Dream
ScottJB
Bogey Poster

Postby bean928 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:52 am

Maybe what he meant was he owed his buddy a chance to win it back from him. Sometimes people promise to let the person they win a tag from a chance to win it back.
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby ScottJB on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 am

Man, I know I run the risk of sounding pricky here, but my point is why can you invent your own rules..., so according to you, if you lose a tag your fond of, there is some weird grandfather clause where that victor must replay the loser once in order for him to potentially reclaim the tag? No matter if they play following rounds with other club members? I go to Harrahs to play Blackjack, Im dealt a 20, the dealer is dealt a 21, but I say..."hold on, I beat Ameristar earlier in the week, and they still have a chance to win the $5 back, so all of my actions untill that rematch mean nothing, as I have somehow reserved this confrontation, but I will continue to play within this organization." Im reminded of having cake and eating it too. The whole point of "defending" a tag is to "defend" it. If I'm wrong, someone explain it to me.
ScottJB
Bogey Poster

Postby bean928 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:52 am

I don't think you can compare it to blackjack. You give up your money once it's in the circle. I just think when people play one one one and someone loses what they think is a good tag they want first chance at winning it back. If it is a tag shuffle then then you don't see it. There is always tag battles up At jb. So if you want to shuffle your tag that's the place to be. Not gonna guarantee you won't run into someone holding a tag for a rematch. Hope to see ya up there sometime.
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby bean928 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:06 am

And it's not according to me. I'm just telling you my view of why he might of did that. I've never turned down a rematch bc that person gave me a chance to get a better tag. They could have chicken out and not challenged me. Some people don't play for tags every single round. Sometimes they have excuses and sometimes they don't have time for a competitive round. But if you're a good golfer and play lot the lower numbers will circle your way.
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby Mike_R on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Personally, I don't think anyone should be pressured to play for anything they don't want to, whether that be money or tags.

And if you want to put tags are on the line, make sure everyone knows about it up front. Don't announce after the round that someone owes you their tag if it wasn't discussed before the round started.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Postby Bison on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Agreed if tags are to be played for then it should be said before the round
Bison
Par Poster

Postby ScottJB on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:30 am

Christ almighty, the whole point of the tags are that they are always up for grabs, by defintion...they are surely not a piece of plastic that is a decoration. So ytou get a "good" tag, and then decide whether or not you will play for it. If this was always true, then how would anybody ever trade a tag? Accourding to this mentality, I have an 89, someone else has a 24, but they say well no, I am not comfortable playing this round, as I might not win, and therefore am not comfortable with the possibility of losing this piece of plastic that is supposed to pass through multiple hands before the end of the season...,and end up in the best players possession. Am I crazy?
ScottJB
Bogey Poster

Postby ScottJB on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 am

Noone is pressured into anything. They bought the tag. It is not a decoration. It is there to be haggled with every round. That is the whole point. That is why there is a number on it. This is not a debate. It is a fact.
ScottJB
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk