The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

Re: The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri May 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Game 8

Tonight was singles and there was a two-attempts CTP in play on both rounds (of the nine holes) on hole 8 . The prize was a players choice pick from the league prize box.

This week we had four new members join the league: Drew Thompson, Scott Schulte, Dawn Hoog and Patrick Johnmeyer (who is joining to support the league but not eligible for prizes). We were also joined by long-time player, Steve Hoog. Steve played along and gave all some good advice and instruction on technicalities and rules. Nice to see you all as the league grows to 20 members.

Here's the breakdown:

10 players (plus Steve)
The league balance was $92.22 going in
Fees paid of $50
$30 towards payouts
$10 towards prizes and expenses
$10 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $52.22 / Party = $60 Total = $112.22

8 players entered the pool

After the scores were totaled, the field broke down into five divisions: Non-Beginners, Advanced Beginners, Intermediate Beginners, Moderate Beginners and New Beginners.

Non-Beginners
Name, Score, Place, Payout
Patrick Johnmeyer, 54, 1st, $3 (offered to yield his payout into the Advanced tier).

Advanced
Mark Munter, 51, 1st, $9
Daniel Doss, 54, 2nd, -
Wendell Ferger, 57, 3rd, -

Intermediate
Drew Thompson, 62, 1st, $9
Scott Schulte, 62, 1st, Gave 1st place to Drew without shootout
Karl Schutte, 63, 3rd, -

Moderate
Don Rush, 68, 1st, $6
Cassidy Thomas, $70, 2nd, -

New
Dawn Hoog, 93, 1st $3

Other
Steve Hoog, 62, -, -

So, it was nice to see the league break the 10 player mark again tonight and there was a lot of close competition in the divisions. I don't think I've ever seen so many trees get hit from the tee and then be followed by the players making it up for par or birdie. If we can hold these numbers, I think we can start switching to random draw doubles from time to time...

No Aces were hit tonight.

The CTP on 8 tonight was a real clincher as it changed hands 3 times - all shots being within 4ft. of the basket and beating the others by just a foot or so at a time. Drew, being brand new to the league and almost as new to the sport, was sure surprising us all with some creative tomahawks and rollers (tip to Drew: "Don't tell people that you didn't mean to do it when you throw a 100ft. uphill roller and park it"). His CTP-winning shot on hole 8 was no different, going super high... looking like it might go over the maintenance fence... and then disappearing from sight... to be found right next to the basket. Crazy.

As a great testament to the challenge of this short, but technical, 9-holer (Watson Trail)... and as a lesson to new disc golfers: all 4 seasoned players that have joined us at the Beginners League have noted that they ended up with lower scores than should have been expected and noted how well the beginning players in this league are doing. The consensus is that Watson Trail really forces players to focus on accuracy and shot variety in a way that is making them a better disc golfer than they would become playing most parks.

In other news:
The league has recently acquired some more great new items for the CTP prize box. We've arrived at the point where I can start creating "prize bundles" for the CTP's instead of always just giving a "grab-bag" option. I'll be able to show them off and start awarding them as soon as I return from vacation.

Which brings me to the next thing you need to know: I'll be out of town all week next week and have appointed Mark Munter to organize and run the league. He'll be signing in players, collecting money and I expect all you kids to listen to what he tells you ;) "Mark, you pick the rules for the game, you decide which hole or holes will get CTP and how it will be awarded." It's all you buddy. I'll see you all the following game to award payouts from the previous week as usual.

Speaking of payouts, I broke from tradition this week and attempted to payout to everyone immediately following the game. Mark was paid (again), Drew was paid and Dawn was paid. Don, I am holding $6 for you until I return. I'm also still holding payouts for Tom Coleman and David Gipson.

Thanks for a good round tonight, hope to see you all in two weeks.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby hoogiegirl on Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 pm

You are very kind. I would have to call my category "Oh My God! How many trees is she gonna hit?!?" :lol:
hoogiegirl
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu May 31, 2012 8:30 am

GAME 9

Even though I was out of town last week, I've still been a little remiss in my duties about posting the information from last weeks game. Sorry, here it is:

First: Thanks to Mark for running it for me.
Second: Apparently it was hot as the blazes, so thanks to the four of you who still came out.

Last week, I paid the RCF club $40 to get some CTP merchandise (better value than shopping at a store for sure) and they were very generous. I won't spoil all the surprises, but we do have those SuperColor discs from the STLO.

Singles was the rule played. The CTP was on 9.

Here's the breakdown:

4 players

The league balance was $72.22 going in (paid $40 out to RCF for prizes)
Fees paid of $20
$12 towards payouts
$4 towards prizes and expenses
$4 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $16.22 / Party = $64 Total = $80.22

After the scores were totaled, the field broke down into three divisions: Advanced Beginners, Moderate Beginners and New Beginners.

Advanced
Mark Munter, 57, 1st (tie), $6
Karl Schute, 57, 1st (tie),

Moderate
Cassidy Thomas, 65, 1st, $3

New
Don Rush, 71, 1st $3

Due to the tie for first in the Adv division, Mark and Karl had a very close shootout on Hole 1 from the safari tee. As I understand, Karl had a great drive (easy up and down), while Mark threw a bad drive that missed the OB road by only a few feet. Mark then threw a big jump putt that hit center chains and stuck for the Birdie. Karl's second shot ran the chains hard, but missed by a few feet. So, Mark took the playoff for the payout.

No Aces were hit.

The jury is still out on who hit the CTP on hole 9, but we'll clear that up tonight. It was either Karl or Don and apparently both were very close. Which ever it was, they'll be getting a very nice SuperColor Buzz from the St. Louis Open.

I also have a "Remarkable Improvement" prize for Karl. He is brand new to disc golf (the first night of league was his 3rd ever game of disc golf) and has been stuck in a 67-68 stroke rutt every week at league... until Game 9. Karl went from 67 to 57, allowing him to move up two divisions and make a run for first place. That is awesome! Who drops 10 strokes in one week, especially on such a short course? :o

Game 10 kicks off tonight at 5:15, as usual. I'll be there... hope everyone else will be too. The weather is going to be amazingly cool for this time of year, so don't miss the opportunity.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu May 31, 2012 10:09 pm

GAME 10

Nice, cool weather for the game tonight and we had the park almost all to ourselves... too bad for those who missed it.

We played singles tonight and the CTP was on 2.

Here's the breakdown:

5 players

The league balance was $80.22
Fees paid of $25
$15 towards payouts
$5 towards prizes and expenses
$5 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $21.22 / Party = $69 Total = $95.22

After the scores were totaled, the field broke down into 2 divisions: Moderate Beginners and New Beginners.

Moderate
Mark Munter, 57, 1st, $9
Daniel Doss, 59, 2nd, -
Karl Schutte, 63, 3rd, -

New
Don Rush, 68, 1st, $6
Eric Holloway, 69, 2nd, -

No Aces were hit.

Mark got the CTP on hole 2, a hole which we all struggled on terribly today.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby legendarydave on Thu May 31, 2012 11:33 pm

This sounds pretty awesome. I'm moving to STL Monday, don't quite know how often I will be available Thursdays at 5:15, but I will try to make it. I am mos def in the "beginner" category, I've played eleven rounds in Cape Girardeau (I know it's a bad course but we don't know any better around here so shhhhhh!) but can't wait to see how the different courses in STL play.
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 am

Hope to see you there legendarydave! I've also heard good things about the course in Cape G, so don't worry about what others may have said. There's something good and something bad about every course I've ever played and I've learned that not all players judge by the same criteria or tastes.

Watson Trail is no different, some people hate it, some people love it. It could use some TLC and a teepad overhaul from the club, but the city won't let us touch it... so it stays as it is, for now.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:27 am

Tonight, we'll be rockin' the "tournament tees" as used in last weekends "9-hole Iron Man". Some of these will be familiar to league regulars from a previous league night, but there are some brand new positions we've never done before for 4,6,7 and 8. If things at the park are left as they are, with regards to the construction around tee 9, we'll have a tee for 9 that nobody has ever thrown before. We'll see...

PLEA: We are STILL waiting for some of the local pro and advanced level players to come throw a few rounds with us. I've had lots of offers and promises, but noone has actually shown yet... just saying.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby schimmy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:32 pm

What time do you guys usually tee off Stub? The earliest I could get there would be 5:15.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
schimmy
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:26 pm

schimmy wrote:What time do you guys usually tee off Stub? The earliest I could get there would be 5:15.

We tee off about 5:20 to 5:25. We aim for 5:15, but I always allow a few extra minutes for everyone to show. We'd appreciate your help.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 am

GAME 11

Another beautiful weather day for the league.
We welcomed in another new league member, David Meyr, as he has just moved into the area from beautiful Cape Girardeau and looking to learn the game he just started playing. Thanks for coming!

We played singles tonight, from the same tee locations used for the recent 9-Hole Iron Man tournament. This layout adds about an extra 375' to the original course and adds about an extra 50% difficulty to most of the holes. We all felt the pain as none of the group was playing especially well. Dave M. did land a couple of very impressive 120'-150' putts however, nice.

We put the CTP on hole 7... which may have been a mistake with the longer tees as 7 is already brutal as it is :lol:

Here's the breakdown:

5 players

The league balance was $95.22
I had to spend $15 to print a bunch more score cards and league flyers (I was gonna have to do it eventually), bringing the balance to $80.22
Fees paid of $25
$15 towards payouts
$5 towards prizes and expenses
$5 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $6.22 / Party = $69 Total = $90.22

After the scores were totaled, the field broke down into 3 divisions: Intermediate Beginners, Moderate Beginners and New Beginners. (Nobody made par, so no advanced division)

Intermediate
Daniel Doss, 60, 1st, $3

Moderate
Karl Schutte, 63, 1st, $9
Don Rush, 66, 2nd, -
Scott Schulte, 67, 3rd, -

New
David Meyr, 76, 1st, $3

No Aces were hit.

Don snatched his first ever CTP on hole 7 with a pretty good shot. He took home a St. Louis Open Mini, a STLO Cozy, STLO Sticker and a St. Louis Disc Golf Club patch as part of the CTP package.

Good times were had, but folks, we're really gonna need to spread the word and get some more members playing this league if we want to keep CTP's flowing and make the payouts worth while. We're building up towards a really nice end of league party and still having a good time, but if we could just hit an average of 20 players a week, we could really do great things and have enough players to make it safe to bring out the portable baskets and set up some special holes, play random-draw doubles and all the other cool stuff we've talked about.

As I've said, anything you can do to help grow this league would be awesome: tell friends, tell other new players you see on the courses, bring your girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands, bring your kids (under 13 gets their own division). Get some league flyers if you like and put those around town and in peoples hands. I do have plenty of flyers for anyone to take and hand out or post in their favorite public location or at other courses. You can get them from me or pull them from the box at the Watson Trail kiosk.

See you next week.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.