Just a simple question...

Alton, IL

Just a simple question...

Postby discdoh on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 am

OK, here is the dilemma...

Over the period of the last few years, I have put together several flyers for the club that included R.S. Problem is, I have never been 100% sure what the correct spelling is. Let's go through the list of variants -

1) On the park entrance sign, it is spelled "Rock Spring Park". This also holds true for the City of Alton website. This is the spelling that I have used in the past.

2) On our website, several ball golf websites, several christmas websites, and several other websites in general, it is spelled "Rock Springs Park". I think that most people call this park "Rock Springs", not "Rock Spring", as well.

3) On Disc Golf Course Review, it is spelled Rockspring Park. I know that this is wrong, but I thought I would point it out. It actually makes it difficult to find the course in their directory. Somebody should probably fix this. I am willing to contact the website moderators at dgcoursereview.com to get them to change it, but I would like to have the definitive answer first.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: Just a simple question...

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 am

Google Maps has it listed as Rock Springs Park. As a lifetime Altonian, I have always and have always heard people around here call it Rock Springs Park. Golfers usually call it The Rock for short. 8-)
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Re: Just a simple question...

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 am

The Alton city site calls it "Rock Spring Park".
The permanent, metal and stone sign at the entrance calls it "Rock Spring Park".

It's an old midwest tradition to put an "s" at the end of location names (like my grandmother always said things like, let's go to K-Mart's). I've seen the same thing with Watson Trail Park. There is no "s" on Trail, but people always say "Watson Trails".

So, it's usually and actually correct without the "s"... but not that big of a deal when just speaking the name.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to Rock Springs Park