The Crusade - SCCDGC - April 14

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

The Crusade - SCCDGC - April 14

Postby magic on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:53 pm

I'll post more info once the event gets closer.
Attachments
2012-04-14 The Crusade.jpg
magic
Ace Poster

Re: The Crusade - SCCDGC - April 14

Postby magic on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 am

Two weeks to go until this event, so thought I'd get this bumped up and start giving everyone some more details.

We will be waiving the non-member fee for this event due to having to pay the $3 per person course fee at El Shaddai (which is included in the entry fee).

Wallbanger will open up a division for women and/or juniors if there is a 3 person minimum. Plaques won't be avialable for those divisions, but your entry fee will be paid out within your division.

More details to follow...
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 am

We are going to be using alternate tee pads for both rounds. The first round will be from the orange...second round from the white. It will be a mix of short and long for both rounds. I believe the pads were marked with orange and white paint yesterday and a few of them could be hard to spot. We can't put flags on them though until shortly before the event after the owner of the ranch mows the course for us.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:39 am

We are starting to get some pre-registrations for this event. Below is the list and I'll continue to update as more come in. If you would like to pre-register either get in touch with Walls (his info is on the flyer) or post something here.

The River City Rating is listed next to each player for those of you who do have a rating. These ratings will in no way be used for this event, so this is for infomational purposes only.

Open
Josh Cole 9.32
Tim Sullivan 10.15
Chris Gore 9.67
Jeff Junte 9.44

Masters
Rick Maassen 8.82

Advanced
Andy Majesky 9.55

Intermediate
Tim Wiegard 8.49
Jim Nelms 8.98
Brian Strokotter 10.14
Steve Brown
Kenny Barklage

Recreational
Shane Chesher 8.04

Division Unknown
Michael Allison
Corey O’Brien
T.C. Brown
Ryan Brown 8.40
Joe Bryson 8.59
magic
Ace Poster

Postby wallbanger on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Here are some of the details for lunch...
lunch is included in entry fee
there will be plenty for all

bbq pork steaks
baked beans
pasta salad
coleslaw
corn
chips
cookies
soda and water
Last edited by wallbanger on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wallbanger
Bogey Poster

Postby wallbanger on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Ben Gilmiche is in
wallbanger
Bogey Poster

Postby magic on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 am

Here's a look at what the plaques will look like. They will be available for the top 3 in Advanced, Intermediate and Recreational. I'll try to get a pic posted of the actual plaques once they are completed.
Attachments
SCCDGC_Crusade_Advanced01.jpg
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:10 am

Below is an updated registration list:

Open
Josh Cole 9.32
Tim Sullivan 10.15
Chris Gore 9.67
Jeff Junte 9.44
Mark Kane 9.39

Masters
Rick Maassen 8.82

Advanced
Andy Majesky 9.55
Brian Strokotter 10.14

Intermediate
Tim Wiegard 8.49
Jim Nelms 8.98
Steve Brown
Kenny Barklage
T.C. Brown

Recreational
Shane Chesher 8.04
Corey O’Brien

Division Unknown
Michael Allison
Ryan Brown 8.40
Joe Bryson 8.59
Ben Galmiche 7.64
Mike Rosen
Victor Roark
Alex ?
Kelly Gersch
magic
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 pm

I realize that the ratings are not being used for splitting player divisions. But does anyone find it strange that the #14 ranked in the latest club ratings update 10.14 rated player, is playing in adv am and not open pro? The ratings make it real easy to decide if you want to play in a tourny knowing you will most likely be dominated in said division and not get a truly competitive tourny style round or two. Comments welcome and encouraged
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby magic on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:57 am

JBA wrote:I realize that the ratings are not being used for splitting player divisions. But does anyone find it strange that the #14 ranked in the latest club ratings update 10.14 rated player, is playing in adv am and not open pro? The ratings make it real easy to decide if you want to play in a tourny knowing you will most likely be dominated in said division and not get a truly competitive tourny style round or two. Comments welcome and encouraged

I realize that I probably made a mistake by putting the ratings next to people’s names if someone is worried about being “dominated” by Strokotter. The word’s dominate and Strokotter don’t belong in the same sentence!

Please keep in mind that these ratings are very new and many people don’t have a lot of rated rounds yet. Almost half of the players have no rating at all yet. Those players without a rating have a better chance of playing in the wrong division then someone that at least has a rating based on a few rounds.

Even though Strokotter is still rated 10.14 after the newest rankings he hasn’t had any more rated rounds since the previous rating update. In fact he only has 3 rated rounds which all came from the same event. That event had 17 participants and I do think the ratings may have been somewhat off due to that. I had asked for that event to be included in the ratings only to get more rated rounds for a few people.

If you look at the first post I had for registered players he was originally going to play in intermediate. After a bit of trash talk he did move up to Advanced (which in my opinion is exactly where he belongs). Although his rating is high right now I do think it will come down. He’s a good player, but isn’t to the point of being an open player.

And I don’t want to just single out one guy. My rating is 9.55 which is probably a little high for me, but it’s only based on one round. There are guys playing in the intermediate division who I know are as good as if not better then me, but my rating is still higher then them based on one round. My rating is also higher then some of the guys in the open division, but I do know for sure that I don’t belong in the open division.

I guess what we should all take from this is that there is a reason why we aren’t using these actual ratings for any events yet. It is still too new and we need to get more rated rounds before we implement it for a tournament. I do think the ratings are doing exactly what they are meant to though and give people a better idea of which division they should be playing in. And hopefully in the long run they will get people to play in exactly the right division they should be in.

For the time being though you do need to use these ratings for what they are…a new system that is going to take time to become more accurate. You simply can’t say exactly what division someone should be playing in based on 1-3 rounds. Once someone gets up to 10 rounds or so you should have a better idea, but until then you certainly shouldn’t be worried about being “dominated” by someone with a 10.14 rating!
magic
Ace Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments