The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 pm

UPDATE: This league ran in 2012. Sadly, nobody chose to pick it up and run it in 2013 (something I cannot do anymore).
If you are interested in starting a new league with this format, I encourage you to contact me about it - I will give you everything you need and everything you need to know to make it happen. I'll even get you a nice box of CTP prizes to get things started.

This league will be starting Thursday, March 29th, 2012

Be there and ready to play by 5:15pm

Format will be Singles for now. Once the size of the league permits, there will be rotating formats to help introduce the new players (which is who should be in this league) to alternate rules and other players.

$5 per person ($4 goes to payouts, $1 goes into building the league (prizes, CTP's (closest to pin awards) and a possible end of season cookout and glow tournament).

$1 optional ace pool (paying this additional dollar enters you into that weeks pool. The first person to hit an ace (and who has paid in to the pool on that day) wins the money in the pot... which will grow continuously until someone hits an ace during league play).

We will play two rounds of this 9 hole course and total it as 18 holes.

We also have some local pro and veteran players who have agreed to stop by the league from time to time to walk the course with us, giving advice on technique and discs to help us improve.

Please, this "Beginners' League" is a league ONLY for 1st and 2nd year players (or players who do indeed play at a normal 1st to 2nd year skill level), so we reserve the right to deny payout participation to players who are obviously too far ahead of the curve - you're still welcome to pay and play with the league, we just won't payout and you're not eligible for CTP's.

This will be a fun league where the focus is on learning more about the game and improving our skills on a beginner friendly course that is also a very technical course.

Spread the word, bring some friends who want to learn the game... See you there.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

I would like to get a new league started really soon at Watson Trail park DGC in Sunset Hills.
Based on what I've heard from many players at this park (and others), folks are looking for a League for newer players who are in their first year or two of disc golf. GOOD IDEA!

So, I'd like to go ahead and get that league started as soon as possible... but I need to get a few things in order.

I AM LOOKING FOR A FEW ADVANCE/LONG TERM PLAYERS TO COME IN FOR POINTERS AND TECHNIQUE ADVICE. One of the things most of the newer players are interested in is being able to learn how to improve their game from veterans. I know it's a lot to ask, but if I could find 3 or 4 long term players who would be willing to show up 1 or 2 times a month to tag along and help us newbies improve our game in a friendly but competetive environment.

HERE ARE MY CURRENT IDEAS:
I'd like for the format to include two tiers, 1st year players and 2nd year players (possibly even including 3rd year for those who haven't played very much but are looking to get more active).

I'm wondering whether folks would prefer a singles or doubles format? Would folks like any special rules (i.e. "Cali" - where every player get's one mulligan per hole)?

I think the league should have a $5 entry fee where $1 goes into an Ace Pool. I am open to other suggestions though...

Another thing I'm looking out for is to have potential players tell me when the best days would be to hold this league.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING THIS LEAGUE, PLEASE POST 2 DAYS AND TIMES WHEN IT WOULD BE BEST FOR YOU.
PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPINIONS ON THE FORMAT, RULES, ENTRY FEE AND PAYOUTS.

Thanks,
Daniel Doss
Watson Trail Course Captain
Last edited by Stubborn Puppet on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: The "Beginners League" at Watson Trail

Postby mmunter on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Mark from St Louis here. Daniel, I'm not sure if you remember me, but me and my brother ended up playing doubles with you and Scott a few weeks ago at the cave...thanks again for showing us around.

Anyway, I would definitely play in a spring/summer league at Watson Trails. Here are a few of my thoughts on topic:

-I think a league at Watson would be nice because it is such a quick play, even as part of a 4 man group during serious play. One of the main reasons I quit going to another local league was because of the 2 hour rounds (not to mention signing in, doling out cards, collecting cards, etc). A Watson league would offer a fun excuse to get out and play every week without killing your entire evening on league nights.
-I think that a "beginner friendly" league is a great idea, but would hate to see it be a "beginner only" league. I have been playing for about 4 years now, so I'm definitely not a complete noob. On the other hand, I'm by no means one of the "advanced/long term" players you mentioned. I would hate to see some folks (like guys at my level, for example) not attend because there wasn't a place for them.
-I'm all for a small entry fee like you suggested....$5 sounds good, heck maybe even 3. Since you are shooting for a beginner league, I would consider going with a generous payout schedule. If the point of the league is to learn and get involved with organized events and the club, I would payout deep to keep people coming back and keep them enthused. I would be turned off by a "beginner" league where one or two advanced level guys always cleaned up.
-A think having a league at Watson, advertising as beginner friendly, having a small buy in, and having lots of small payouts will naturally draw in new and less serious players. Some will like the idea, some will think it is stupid. I bet it would just naturally turn into a more casual, beginner friendly environment (which I would like).
-I like singles over doubles, but thats just personal preference. I also like rounds without mulligans and the like, but would play regardless. The only thing that would turn me off is a handicap league.
-I would play any day Mon-Thurs, and would probably rarely go if on Fri-Sun. A start time somewhere between 4 and 6 seems nice. The JB guys do 5 and that seems to work well.

Thats all I have. Nothing is make or break for me, and great job on taking ownership of the course and trying to get something going out there. Send me a PM or get my number from Scott if you need any help getting things going. Hopefully there is some more interest from other players.
mmunter
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks Mark. Of course I remember you, it was only 14 days ago.
Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for and I hope it's a starting point for others to get their opinions in so I can get this started sooner, rather than later. The weather is looking great NOW... let's go before it gets too hot.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Knee Deep on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:26 pm

I played my first round at Watson two weeks ago. My score was terrible but I had a great time.

Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays (after 5pm) and Sundays mornings work best for me.

Also if anyone is playing this weekend and doesn't mind showing a complete hack a few things let me know.
Knee Deep
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:21 pm

I'd really like to see some more momentum on this topic... but oh well.

I've ruled out Tuesday nights. There are many other leagues that do Tuesday - like the Schroeder Doubles League (which is pretty much the closest course to Watson). I've also completely eliminated Friday, Saturday and Sunday so we don't conflict with tournaments and special events.

So, that's Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.

I'm more inclined to go with Wednesday or Thursday, as Monday feels like a recooperation day after a long weekend. Anyone else with an opinion on that?

I'm going to go with a "Singles Format" for play at this point, but might evolve it into a rotating format to expose new players to a variety. I'm also pretty set on the $5 fee with an optional $1 ace pool. Breakdown = $4 towards payouts, $1 put into a fund that will be used to either pay for small course improvements or a big cookout at the end of the league. We will have to decide on a payout structure, but it will mostly depend on how many participants attend. I can't imagine paying more than 1st place if only 4 people show up and only 1st and 2nd if we have less than 11 players.

This league will simply have to start on or before the first week of April. Any later and we are just wasting away the year during daylight savings time.

I think we have 1 volunteer veteran player who says they will come out when possible. We will still need more than that. This is a plea

I'll make and put up posters at the park this week asking people to contact me if they are interested.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby mmunter on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Wednesdays or Thursdays sound good to me.

Price and payout seems reasonable as well...I might go a little bit deeper than just two places for that number of players, but thats just my opinion. I would keep coming back if I lost money every time, but I wonder if the random casual from the neighborhood would?

As far as start dates, the sooner the better! Daylight savings is this weekend, so we won't have any problems getting rounds in from here on out. I would play next week, just tell us when!
mmunter
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks man.

I'll try to move on this as fast as I can, but I'm in up to my eyeballs on some graphics projects for the RCF and SCCDGC right now. I'll try to push myself and get us out there by the 21st or 22nd.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jimi g. on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm

i'd love to b involved as long as 'beginning players' has no minimum age--after doing schroeder on tuesdays only way i can play thursdays too is to bring my boys--6 & 7. they can play but just a bit slow. love to play with beginners and show off the basics.
thursdays is my only option and wouldnt be available every week. are you talking $5 per week or for a length of time?
great idea!!!!!
jimi g.
Bogey Poster

Postby Lazerface on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm glad to see someone getting the ball rolling on another St. Louis league. My name is Jim Misuraca and I would like to come out and give some tips and instruction to some beginners who want to learn. I'm no superstar, but I'm pretty solid, and have a good understanding of the game. I was Mr. Questions to the local pros when I was coming up and have watched every disc golf instructional video the web has to offer. I try not to coach out on the course because it can get annoying for a guy who doesn't want the tips, but I would enjoy teaching those looking to learn. Teaching noobs can be very rewarding. Disc golf is one of those sports where you hit milestones every time you hit up an open field with a new throwing perspective. Once you get the format and dates finalized I'll pick some days to come out. I hope some other local pros step it up and do the same. I can think of a few to call out: Jerry Barkladge (Mr. Coach), Bryan Johnson (forehand/putting) superstar, Mark Kane (I learned a ton from this guy as a noob), Roger Reyes, Greg Doh, Neil Brown, Bickell, Kinsella, and a lot more that know who they are. These guys have been around a while, and taught me everything I know, whether they know it or not.
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:01 am

This will have to start on the 28th or 29th at this point. I wanted to go next week, but some additional "unique" requirements from the Sunset Hills Parks dept. are going to require more time to accomodate. It was enough that I was considering moving the league elsewhere... but the response from potential players has been overwhelmingly for keeping it at Watson Trail and getting started soon. Here we go.

Jim M (Lazerface), THANK YOU. You are being humble about your skills... and your RCF rankings prove it. We will all look very forward to having you along when you can make it.

JimiG, if anyone has a problem with kids being in the beginners league, they have a problem with me :) That is where we all start most sports. Yes, I want to go with $5 fee, paid on a weekly basis (so you're not paying if you're not playing). We will need a decent turnout, which will come after a little more time, to get to the point that we can split this into two or maybe three divisions: 1st year players, 2nd year players and maybe (hopefully) under 12 years old.

Stay tuned!
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.