Beginner

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Re: Beginner

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:34 pm

I play a lot a Rock Springs and Collinsville, don't know where you are from but if you show up at a tournament (or either one of those awesome courses ;) ) look for red pants with two white stripes goin down the sides! 8-) I'll be more than happy to let you throw my cyclone or any other disc that I have!

Johnny Lynn
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby Taylor Johnson on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:08 pm

So i was looking online for help with maximizing my distance when driving, and i came upon this concept that i believe is the key to maximum distance drives. Has anyone ever heard of a kinetic chain? According to Arthur Steindler, in Kinesiology of the HUMAN BODY UNDER NORMAL AND PATHOLOGYICAL CONDITIONS.

"We designate an open kinetic chain a combination in which the terminal joint is free. The waving of the hand is an open kinetic chain in which the action of the shoulder joint, the elbow joint, and the wrist joint are successively involved.

A closed kinetic chain, on the other hand, is one in which the terminal joint meets with some considerable external resistance which prohibits or restrains it free motion. Eventually, the external resistance may be overcome and the peripheral portion of the joint may move against this resistance, for instance, in pushing a cart or lifting a load; or the external resistance is absolute, in which case the proximal part moves against the peripheral, as for instance, in chinning oneself on a horizontal bar; or the limitations of the muscular effort may assert itself both peripherally and proximally and may be unsurmountable, in which case no visible motion is produced. Only in the latter instance is the kinetic chain strictly and absolutely closed.

However in common use we apply the term to all situations in which the peripheral joint of the chain meets with overwhelming external resistance."

point being, the game is obviously all about how hard can you throw something, and i think the kinetic chain is the key to getting the most power behind your throw
Taylor Johnson
Bogey Poster

Postby Taylor Johnson on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 pm

So it looks like boxers use this as well....according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf)

"[Backhand] throw is performed by pulling the disc from back to front with either the right or left hand. Because of the potential snap one can put on a disc throwing backhand, this will generally produce more distance than throwing forehand. The secret to this technique is kinetic chaining. Kinetic chaining is used by boxers to give their blows much more force. The momentum starts in the feet and travels up the body and all the energy transfers to the disc, making it fly further. This makes form and follow-through extremely important."
Taylor Johnson
Bogey Poster

Postby rondisc on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:12 am

TJ, on the backhand your power starts at your plant foot always.
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Previous

Return to General DG Talk