2012 Website and Forum Changes

ask questions, get answers, & find info about the RCF website/forums

2012 Website and Forum Changes

Postby fairweather_fan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 am

hi - this is ted spies. i've been asked to help the club make some changes to both their main website and the discussion board...and for some reason i agreed! ;)

a lot of updating and reworking has already gone in to the home page website-although the job isn't 'finished'- and i'd encourage anyone who's interested to check it out, and give me and the club's board members their feedback...here's the link:

http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/

the hope is to keep the site updated with fresh content and timely updates about what's happening disc golf-wise in st. louis and the surrounding area, and if anyone has any content, pictures, videos, event details, etc. that they'd like to see on the website, please get in touch with me. you can PM me through the message board, or email me @ one of the addresses listed on the 'contacts' page.

i'm also going to be making some needed changes to the forums to clean them up, make it easier to find and share important event and club information, and generally just re-organize them a bit. you may have already noticed some shuffling around of threads and forums, etc. and there will be more changes coming in short order. hopefully, the changes i make will be for the better. i'd like to hear input from long time or frequent board users about their ideas on organizing the forums and presenting all this great info in the most efficient manner, so please post up in this thread if you have any feedback to give about forum organization or structure. hopefully, i won't step on any toes or ruffle any feathers while i'm shuffling threads and forums around, and if i'm going to be affecting one of your open/active threads, i will try to get in touch with the original poster before moving it.

one improvement/fix that i've already been able to get to is to make the 'view active topics' link functional again. on the main board page, above the forum list, you'll see the link and it'll now bring up every thread that has been created or commented on in the last week (that's a default setting that you can change).

anyway- let me/us know what you think of the changes going down, and don't hesitate tell me exactly how i'm screwing up!

thanks
ted spies
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Website and Forum Changes

Postby fairweather_fan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 am

update: i've been moving a lot of threads around into what seem to be their appropriate forum or subforum. if anyone thinks i'm moving a thread in error or to the wrong section let me know, or if you can no longer find your favorite thread, PM me or post here and i'll help you get to it.

the STLDGC/RCF logo in the banner now links you to the frontpage/main website...click it and take a look!

thanks
ted spies
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby fairweather_fan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:13 pm

i've updated the message board settings to allow active links in your posts and signatures.

to link to a site or page, you can:

1)copy/paste the url into your post/signature, select the url text (highlight it), and click the "url" button above the post/text input area. for example, if you were linking to the STLDGC main website, it would look like this in your post area, without the hashtags (#) inserted:

[#url#]http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/[#/url#]

and it would look like this in your submitted post:
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/

2)if you want your link to say something other than just the url/address of the site, put it in this form (again, without the hashtags inserted and again using our main website as the example):

[#url#=http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/]St. Louis Disc Golf Club Website[#/url#]

and it will look like this in your post/sig:
St. Louis Disc Golf Club Website

hopefully this helps and doesn't cause any issues. if it does, we may have to disable links again at some point down the road but let's see how it goes for now.

thanks
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby fairweather_fan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:36 pm

if anyone is needing help with how to do something with their message board profile, or is needing a "how-to" guide to using the type of form software we use, check out this phpbb FAQ. if you don't find an answer there, let me know and i'll see if i can help.

thanks
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:29 pm

While I appreciate your efforts to work on the message board here......some of this is hard to figure?? I mean, why are posts that are two, three years old, suddenly appearing in the red as if something new was posted on the particular subject? :?: That doesn't seem to make much sense........
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:57 pm

hi, and thanks for the question. i should have posted on that when i heard a similar comment from someone else. i believe we're seeing that only on threads that i've moved from one forum to another- is that the case for you? i'm going to look into remedying this soon, but perhaps a temporary workaround would be to use the "view new posts" (which should show active threads since your last login) or "view active posts" (which should default to threads and posts made in the last 7 days) links right above the main forum listing to find fresh posts and content. sorry about the confusion/issue, let me know if those workarounds aren't 'working around', and i'll let you know if i can resolve the issue from this end shortly.

thanks
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby mkane on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Ted,
Thanks you for bringing this website up to speed, it is wonderful to be able to see the first page used as a website should be.
I think you should be able to archive any posts that are over 5-6 months old.
I absolutely love the schedule tab, and the sponsor tabs.

Great Work, You Rock!
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:06 pm

howdy mark, thanks for the kudos...we'll probably archive at least some of the old tourney threads, and maybe a few other things. i'm going to try to tread as carefully as i can!

the main site is still a work in progress to be sure, but i think as long as it helps get folks timely and accurate information it's at least a small improvement.

take it easy, and don't hesitate to let me know how you feel about the site or the forum!
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm

It's a glitch in the phpBB that is making topics that he moves around show red sometimes... what can you do.

If you get tired of "seeing red", you can also click the "Mark Forums Read" thing on the upper right of the forum screen and it'll change them all black ;)
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:55 pm

and there's StubbornPuppet with the tip of the day...jeff, hopefully that will help you and others out as well.

thanks daniel, i honestly don't know how i hadn't seen link that before...and they put me "in charge" of this place! :lol:
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Website/Message Board Info and Q & A