The JB Nooner Hits the Road "The Maui Challenge" 12-4-2011

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

Re: The JB Nooner Hits the Road "The Maui Challenge" 12-4-20

Postby StephenBurdick on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 pm

This was a nice change of pace I'd have to say.
StephenBurdick
Bogey Poster

Postby Chris K on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:04 am

This event was a lot of fun for me. Our card; Curtis Simmons, Dan Brown & Melonie, and doubles partner John Hogue, picked up trash while we played. We did our best to pick the course clean and filled many large grocery bags. Those golfers that played 8 thru 7 after us had a much cleaner golf course to play on. Thank you guys for helping clean up Rock Spring Park.
The job of picking up trash while you play benefits everyone that uses the park. It is the most noticeable 'course improvement' that we can make without a 'work day'. Put a few grocery bags in your bag so you don't have to stuff trash in your DG bag. Thanks again
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 am

Wasn't Rock Spring a bit hard to play with Christmas Decorations on the course?
Last edited by mkane on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:33 pm

I can't agree with stroking, Mark, but I do agree that trash shouldn't be the focus during a money round, not to the detriment of speed of play. Cleanup should be a priority any time, but there are degrees of priority.
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby Chris K on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Mark, your comment seems harsh for something that does not qualify as a ‘courtesy violation’. Maybe there is something else you are trying to say. Do you ever pick up trash when you play with the Lakers? Do you threaten to ‘stroke’ them when they pick up trash?
My position (obviously not yours) is to improve the courses I play when I am there whether in a money round or casual round. I have a better experience when I am not looking at trash tumbling in front of me while I am putting or teeing off. I find trash more distracting than having a fellow golfer yell profanities and kick his bag.
I don’t feel it is necessary to schedule a work day to clean up the course when the only available time I have is to play the course. I get peace when I leave the course better than when I arrived and I like improving the disc golf experience for the ones that play behind me. I also pick up fallen branches to make it easier for the mowers.
Getting back to picking up trash during a round of golf, money round or otherwise; you are not the boss of me. (I am sticking my tongue at you.) Maybe you can look in the Pdga book for courtesy violations and let me know if picking up trash qualifies.
In a perfect world the TD would ask a few local golfers to play the course before the event and pick up trash as they played. May I call you as a volunteer?
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:56 pm

hey chris and mark- maybe you'd like me to split this discussion off into a separate thread where we can all have a civil and informative conversation about the appropriate use of courtesy fouls/violations, course maintenance issues, and the expected etiquette when playing for big time frisbee money?

just make another post on the topic in this thread, and i'll take that as a sign that that's what you'd prefer.
:D
thanks!
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.