SLIK/STAMPS/COOL PRODUCT

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

SLIK/STAMPS/COOL PRODUCT

Postby Lazerface on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 pm

So, has any one else seen the "cricut" product on t.v. It's a machine about the size of a computer printer that cuts intricut patterns out of paper, vinal, fabric and other stuff. The commercial is vague, but it looks like it would be the perfect tool to eliminate the hours you guys spend with an exacto knife cutting patterns for stamps. I have never stamped disc, so I could be wrong, but it's worth checking out. The commercial doesn't mention a price. They have a website, but I don't recall. CRICUT
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Re: SLIK/STAMPS/COOL PRODUCT

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Probably not that particular brand (Cricut), but the folks who dye discs alot use similar cutting machines. You basically take any Illustrator (or other vector art) file and it will cut it out of sticky-back vinyl for you.

I don't think the "hot-stamping" process works the same way, using vinyl cutouts... but I'm not sure.

You can certainly get a whole lot of expert info in the disc dyeing topic at the dgcoursereview.com forum. That's where I learned how to dye discs.

The big downer in disc dyeing right now is that RIT changed the formula on their dye. The new RIT dye does not work on polycarbonate plastic any more and that has left the do-it-yourself disc dyeing and RC car dyeing community in the toilet for ideas on what to use.

I've reverted to using SpikeIt fish lure dye, but it only comes in a few colors and is pretty expensive by contrast... but if you're just looking to make a disc really visible (hot pink or neon orange), it does a great job.

Thanks for the info Lazer. :)
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to General DG Talk