This affects all of us

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

This affects all of us

Postby Chris K on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Our parks and our park employees need our support.
Sioux Passage and Unger are among 23 others on the closure list for 2012. There may be more for 2013. Let your voices be heard and ask for a better solution than cutting services and closing parks.
Sioux Passage Park is a manicured park with rolling hills, lush green space and access to the Missouri River. It has a premier Disc Golf Course and the top Cross Country Course in the area. The St Louis Disc Golf Club hosts many tournaments at SP including the St Louis Open and our Club Championships. As one of four, 18 hole Disc Golf Courses serving St Louis County our community is underserved now. St Louis County is the main green space supporter of the growth of outdoor sports like Disc Golf. Without our parks to offer a place to play outside, picnic and go exploring, video games should see a boost in sales.
An online petition has begun to make it easier to add your name to the list of supporters who value our parks.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/save-stl-county-parks/
Please do more than read and passively think someone else will do it. Add your name to the list. Thanks in advance
Chris K
Ace Poster

Re: This affects all of us

Postby Chris K on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Our club members should show up in force to put a face to the public that is directly affected from this action. The Budget Meeting is Nov 15th but I am told we should also be at the Council Meeting on the 8th. The more we can make our voices heard, the better outcome is in store. Please make an effort to attend these meetings.

St Louis County Council Chamber

Administration Building

41 S Central Ave

Clayton, MO 63105

6:00 p

Nov 8th & Nov 15th

http://www.stlouisco.com/YourGovernment/CountyCouncil
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:09 am

I've signed the petition without a single reservation and will be at both meetings in Clayton.

I understand, that if at the meeting, any St. Louis County Resident is allowed 2 minutes to speak at the mic. I urge all of you to think about what St. Louis County parks mean to you, your friends and your family and take your turn to have your voice heard. The way I see it, if there are even 50 of us who take a turn to talk, that is at least an extra hour and a half that we can keep these coucil members at our disposal. They like to leave work and get home as much as the rest of us and are not likely to want to pass something that causes them so much trouble.

Aside from our major concern, disc golf, I can barely understand how they can even consider putting Lone Elk Park on this list. For crying out loud, "It's a wildlife sanctuary!" The park is enclosed and the animals who live there rely on humans to maintain their environment and food supply. What the hell are they thinking?

I had heard that Endicott might also be on the list... maybe I'm misinformed, but if it is, that could be 2 of our 4 18 hole courses GONE.

We MUST show!
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

This affects all of us

Postby emptv on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:18 am

Disc up,
Thanks for the info. Petition is signed.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby jamidanger on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:20 am

i signed the petition, and stated that i travel the 300 miles to play and compete.
jamidanger
Bogey Poster

Postby Tom-Krieger on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Don't forget to sign the petition here also

http://www.change.org/petitions/st-louis-county-executive-stop-closing-our-st-louis-parks-with-your-budget-cuts

I saw this petition featured on fox 2 news, and I will do my best to be at the meeting.
Tom-Krieger

Postby Chris K on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Reminder to come to the Council Meeting this Tuesday as well as next Tuesday.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:14 am

TONIGHT!!!

Tonight is the first of the County Council meetings about the future or our parks.

St Louis County Council Chamber

Administration Building

41 S Central Ave

Clayton, MO 63105

6:00 p

Please plan to be there and have our voices heard. Too much is at stake to leave this up to fate and the personal agendas of a few politicians.

If you need a ride, just PM me and I will figure out a ride for you or pick you up myself.

PLEASE. Let everyone you know (that lives in St. Louis County of course) about this meeting and ask them to attend.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 pm

Six of us made it to the meeting and four of us signed up to speak. There were plenty of empty chairs in case some of you supposed otherwise. Next Tuesday is the day to show up in force and show the Parks Dept that we care enough to stand up for them. Thank you Mark Dudenhoeffer, Greg Van Horn, Daniel and Becca Doss, and Greg Dohogne for attending. It means so much more to the Council for a citizen to speak up than a park employee. Many of the park employees came up to us afterwards and thanked us. I think we made stronger ties of loyalty to help each other in the future as well as showing them that we appreciate the work they do for us.
I was a bit surprised that so few people showed up from other walks of life to express their concern for the future of our parks. I imagine the Council was too.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Bump
This is a reminder to come to the park meeting this Tuesday to voice our concerns with the budget and the closing of 23 parks. The council represents you the voter. Let them know how you feel. Stand with us; numbers make a difference.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion