Candidacy Announcement

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Candidacy Announcement

Postby eupher61 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:28 pm

OK, I'll start it.

My name's Steve Hoog, and I'm running for Club Secretary. I have the legs for it.

No, wait.

I want to help improve communication with the Club membership overall, by starting a monthly (bi-monthly? quarterly?) newsletter with submissions from all the area courses and tournaments. And, part of the whole idea is to keep the membership in touch with what is happening with the Board.
We need more involvement, we need more commentary from everyone--positive AND negative, but hopefully we can get some positive feedback now and then. Being involved is what it will take to get this Club to where it could be, and do bigger and better things for disc golf in St Louis and everywhere. But, it takes everyone's help. By joining, you've made a committment, and it's greatly appreciated. But, if you have any other way of helping, the Club needs you. It doesn't have to be every week, even every month.
I think I can help bring out more involvement among the more casual members of the club, by keeping everyone informed and by doing my little part to help with the physical things too.

Besides, if you vote me in, you'll almost all be able to say you can regularly outdrive an officer.

steve
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Re: Candidacy Announcement

Postby dtwest57 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks Steve, for starting the candidacy announcements.

Hello - I am Dave West (# 752) – I will run for President of RCF.

Disc Golf Resume
• Treasurer of RCF for the past year. Setup a 2011budget and measured progress against the budget every month. Detailed treasurer reports and accounting of our funds. Regular attendance at the board meetings. A desire to help our sport and our club.
• Have played in the Hazelwood Disc Golf League since 1981
• Have kept stats for the Hazelwood league for most of the 30+ years
• Designed the Effingham Disc Golf Course - 2002
• Have been a tournament TD for the Annual Effingham Disc Tournament since 2002 (come play there on Sept 24th!)
• Co-TD of Creve Coeur for STL Open – 2011

My Viewpoints and Style
• I am a definite 'delegator'. If someone has a job, I stay out of it and expect they will do the job - and I am grateful they are doing the role.
• Course Captains are critical. They should help identify TD’s for events at their course
• Named TD’s should have control of the tournament they are running; We need volunteer TD’s!
• The board members should be very involved in the STL Open and the Club Championships
• If no TD steps forward 6 weeks prior to a tournament, we cancel the event
• We are fortunate to have Gateway in St. Louis; Let’s work well together

What Can I Bring to the Role?
• Disc Golf Experience for 30+ years
• Past experience as Committee Chair of a 60 person Scout Troop
• Past experience on a neighborhood association board
• My ability to converse with authorities (e.g., city and park officials)
• My ability to present topics and ideas
• My ability to lead and collaborate (my work has given me many leadership experiences over the past 30 years; I presently lead a 100+ person team at Monsanto)

My Short Term Goals for the Club (next 6 months)
• Get the volunteers back; get the TD’s back running their own styles of tournaments
• Understand what the membership wants – everyone – ams and pros
• Revisit Bridgeton – timing is getting better as tornado cleanup is winding down
• Work with STL County to revise our agreements; have them give us some credit for volunteer course labor; See if we can get Creve Coeur mowed more often and more thoroughly

My Long Term Goals for the Club (1-5 years)
• See if we can measure-up and host a major PDGA event – like a World’s
• Find opportunities for positive press for the club and the sport
• Find more sponsors for our events (e.g., added cash for the winners)

What I Need from You
• Volunteers. Board members (VP and Treasurer). TD’s. Open minds. Collaboration. :)

I look forward to working with you and for you in the future - thanks,
Dave
dtwest57
Bogey Poster

Postby STLSoldier on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:18 am

Hello all my name is Brad Stone. I would love to help out. Ive been talking to Chris K. and Mark D. and the best fit would seem to be merchandising.

I have the time and willingness to help. I'm responsible, dependable and easy to find (Stationed at Jefferson Barracks :)) I maintain, am accountable for and am personally hand receipted for over 10 million dollars worth of military equipment. I have the space to store the discs either in St. Charles (My house) or South County (Miriams House).

Miriam (My GF and Kick ass DG'r) said she will help me, especially should my military career get in the way due to traveling and such.

Oh Yeah and I LOVE DISC GOLF!!!

Thanks for your consideration,

Bradley Stone
STLSoldier
Bogey Poster

Postby Chris K on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:21 am

This is a reminder asking our members to step up and help the St Louis Disc Golf Club this coming year. Our fiscal calendar begins October 9th at the Club Championships. The first board meeting will be within a week or so after the ballots are tallied. The deadline for declaring your candidacy for a position is next Friday. This will give us time to prepare and print the ballots. There will be space on the ballots for 'write in' votes however, last minute suggestions rarely carry the position. It also doesn't speak too highly of your commitment to the board or the members.
The positions and (as of yet, uncontested) candidates are as follows;
President - Dave West (currently Treasurer)
Vice President - Tim Wiegard (currently QR CC)
Treasurer -
Secretary - Steve Hoog (currently interim Secretary)
Merchandise - Bradley Stone (currently enthusiastic discgolfer)
Promotions - Greg Dohogne (currently Promotions)
Membership -
Website Moderator/Administrator - filled by Secretary unless someone steps up -
Head Tournament Director - filled by VP unless someone steps up -
Consultant - Chris Kinsella (currently President)
Course Captains - (currently - Mark Dudenhoeffer - JB; Ben Hart - CC; Tim Finan - EN; Francis Albanese - SP;) these positions are typically appointed but if you have an interest in becoming a Course Captain, please let us know

Absentee ballots may be sent to rcfdiscgolf@gmail.com and will be tallied Monday Oct 10th.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:39 pm

I was unaware that Course Captain positions were anything but appointed... but OK.

My name is Daniel Doss and I have been nominated as a CC for Watson Trail recently and have been serving, in a limited capacity, as that role by being in contact with the Sunset Hills Parks and Rec dept. about improving the park and accepting a more active role from the STLDGC in helping them improve and maintain the park in the future.

Watson Trail is my home course, being just 3 minutes from my house, and I play there almost daily. Over the last several years, this course has fallen into ill repair and has been plagued by vandalism, nuisances, DGer's who don't feel they need to keep illegal substance use out of public view and a general lack of TLC. I became aware that the city has been on the verge of tearing this course completely out for over seven years and we cannot let that happen. So I have, with Chris K's much appreciated help, presented a list of upgrades, changes and new features (along with a proposed new layout for the course that will reduce walking distance between holes by 50% and add about 35% more length to it) to the city and the Sunset Hills parks admin is totally on board with the plan. We still don't have the full approval of the city officials, but that is red-tape that takes time.

I have been cleaning up trash, stickers, graffiti and whatever else every time I play. I've been keeping a log of any times I find problems, notes on any troublemakers or suspicious persons (whom I suspect of vandalism or any other activity that will jeopardize the future of this course by diminishing the reputation of the St. Louis DG community) and reporting them when needed.

When the time comes, I hope to rally as many responsible local disc golfers as possible to come and help Sunset Hills and the RCF bring this little gem of a course back into tip-top shape and prove that we care about our sport and our courses.

If you think I'm up to the task, please support me.
Thanks,
Daniel Doss
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 pm

These are who we have for candidates for the 2012 RCF board;

President - Dave West (currently Treasurer)
Vice President - Tim Wiegard (currently QR CC)
Treasurer - Steve Kleiber (formerly Treasurer)
Secretary - Steve Hoog (currently interim Secretary)
Merchandise - Bradley Stone (currently enthusiastic discgolfer)
Promotions - Greg Dohogne (currently Promotions)
Membership - Not filled
Website Moderator - Mark Kane (currently VP)
Website Administrator - Not Filled (specific website skills needed for this position)
Head Tournament Director - filled by VP unless someone steps up - Not filled
Consultant - Bob Waidmann (currently Consultant)
Consultant - Dave McCormack (currently Consultant)
Course Captains - (currently - Mark Dudenhoeffer - JB; Ben Hart - CC; Tim Finan - EN; Francis Albanese - SP)
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 pm

I will remain active and help the board as the need arises. There will be space for write in votes for each position. As you can see however, all positions are uncontested.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:18 pm

Chris, you will be perfect for membership, seriously.

peace,
RR
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm

I understand you did, and layed down your best work.. good job, Chris. Club memberships is one of your best points.., good stuff.

Peace,
RR
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion