Disturbing

Florissant, MO

Disturbing

Postby ilmcgee on Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Went to SP friday for a morning round. Really enjoying myself in the cool weather. A couple others were taking advantage of the weather too. They didn't have any discs that I saw, and certainly hadn't played while I was there. I met them on the fairway of 16 searching the pairie grass. Asked them if they needed help, nope, just looking. Now, I've got lucky and found a disc while searching for my own, but I attempt to get the disc back to the owner if possible. These two kids looked like they were skipping school, probably to make money selling found plastic. Which judging by the looks of them, this is probably the best scheme they could come up with. Anyway, I'll end my rant with, hope you didn't lose any plastic at SP lately, if so check ebay.
ilmcgee
Bogey Poster

Re: Disturbing

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 pm

I've seen that too. I asked them if they planned on calling the numbers when they found them and they asked, "Why would we do that?" I reminded them that they were actually trespassing if they were walking in the prairie grass... they had no response. If you take a look in the prairie restoration areas at Sioux, you will see that these pricks have actually trampled it horribly. I'm surprised that the club hasn't heard from the Parks Dept. telling us if we can't keep people out of the prairie areas that they will close that part of the course.

As for the discs they steal, you're more likely to find them at Play It Again Sports on Manchester Rd.

PIA Sports on Manchester (in Kirkwood) completely ignores the St. Louis County ordinance that requires them to follow the same rules as a pawn shop. Any merchant who buys anything with the intent of reselling must ask the seller to show a Missouri state I.D., give a thumb-print and sign an affidavit.

PIA Sports on Manchester doesn't do any of it. The store in Chesterfield always does... but they don't have any "used" disc golf discs for sale. The Manchester store always has about 40 "used" discs to choose from... and 80% of them have peoples names and phones blacked out with fresh ink.

I am officially boycotting PIA on Manchester. Who's with me?
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby zakski on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:40 pm

You guys are funny. Your trying to tell me that if kids are lookng for discs and find them than they are stealing. Thats hilarious. If you lose a disc and stop looking than guess what, you forfeited your right to that disc. Congratulations for putting your name on the disc but by no means does this obligate anyone to return it. Amongst the dg community good karma is calling people and returnng the disc, but by no means are you legally obligated to. And by the way if you go to a creek on a golf course and find a bunch of golfballs, can u not trade these in. People may not be stealng discs but simply finding them and trading them in, no harm no foul. When they find them, property switches hands, you got impatient and gave up looking for your disc and someone else fond it, you cant blame someone else for having more patience than you, you just need to learn to control your throws better. Bottom line if you dont wanna worry about seeing your lost discs at pia sports, than either learn to play or look a little longer chief.
zakski
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

You are legally correct. I think you're missing the point and your outlook is certainly a tragedy that is indicative of the state of moral decline in our society.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you lost your wallet with your drivers licence, credit cards, family photos and money in it. You looked and looked, but the sun went down before you could find it and you have to get going because you have a family who is depending on you and a job to be to in the morning. One would hope that we could all count on people to do the right thing and try to get it back to us if they found it... right? Not according to your rules. I should find your wallet and declare it and it's contents as mine. As long as I don't use your credit cards, that stuff is all mine and I should never bother to let you know. I don't care that it takes you 6 hours on the phone to get your credit cards cancelled or that you have to stand in line for 2 hours at the DMV to get a new license... you should learn to be more careful with your possessions.

Your whole post makes me wonder, "What's in your bag... Chief?"

Do you mind sharing with the rest of us what name you write on your discs... so we can safely assume that you don't want to have them returned?
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby zakski on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:46 pm

And your outlook sir is certainly a tragedy that is indicative of the state of entitlement that more and more people like your self believe you should  have.  While I would be upset I lost my wallet, I would certainly not feel as if I was obligated to have it returned to me.  Furthermore I definitely wouldnt accuse anyone of theft because they found my wallet and didnt return it.  Theft begins when they use the credit cards, that is where the moral dcline comes in.  And by the way guy, not sure if your trying to get your cards cancelled via smoke signals, and going to the dmv on a horse and buggy, but it dosnt take that long.  Also you will have too keep wondering whats in my bag because unlike you I  dont go out of my way to post whats in my bag, as if anybody actually cares.  Mayb u should take a little more time learning to play, instead of posting messages, maybe you wont lose so many discs, just a thought chief.  Also im not posting my name cause when I lose a disc its just that lost. If it finds it way back to me than great, if not than so be it, but im definitely not gonna waste my time crying on a post board, trying to get a PIA sports shut down, and trying to waste the police's valuable time over 15$.
zakski
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:34 pm

I am just assuming, zakski, that if I ever lose a disc and you find it that I should not keep my fingers crossed on getting it back. You tell StubbornPuppet that his view on this subject is indicative of modern society and its sense of undue entitlement. I am fairly certain that your view of "finders keepers" is a hell of a lot more indicative of this than Stubborn's. Just saying. You come off sounding like an unscrupulous, selfish DGer that could care less about helping a fellow human being out. Shame on you...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby zakski on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Not really at all what I said but you allowed to draw your conclusions. For the record if i find a disc i return it, however i dont accuse those who do find them and choose not to return of stealing. You just cant or choose not to differentiate between the two, what a shame
zakski
Bogey Poster

Postby ilmcgee on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:14 pm

Sense of entitlement? You are correct sir. That's exactly what I feel for anything that I purchased with the intent of personal belonging. You are right, if I give up looking for a disc or any other personal belonging I don't expect to get it back. There is no way that you can honestly say that knowing another person found said personal object, that you wouldn't be upset if they didn't return it. I think you are nuts to come here and virtually attack people with a fair sense of values. I agree with Puppet, just knowing that weaklings like you have the nerve to voice your pathetic values publicly means our society is in danger. You however are in no danger of losing any discs, I don't think any decent person would want to dirty themselves by touching your belongings. I hope you and your friends I saw the other day find some other activity to partake in.
ilmcgee
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Well, I guess I've been served.
Zakski is right. I've developed a misplaced sense of entitlement over the personal belongings that I worked hard and paid for, used daily for a long time and grew attached to. If I wanted to keep it so bad, I shouldn't have thrown it so far away in the first place (or at least should have spent more time learning to be a perfect shot every time). I should learn to be more tolerant of people that feel that same sense of entitlement for "finders keepers" - since we all learned that phrase in kindergarten... why shouldn't we believe in it's inherent truth and hold fast to it into adulthood.

My problem is that I want to live in an ideal world where people can count on each other. It's a pipe dream. People can't be trusted, so we should all behave accordingly and do our utmost best to be like people are - not like we wish they were.

I didn't wish to ask what was in your bag for the purpose of bragging, I was obviously implying something that wasn't fair to assume. Sorry man, I shouldn't have asked. As for wasting my time posting on a board... I guess we're both guilty of that. I just came back from getting some much needed practice however - thanks for the pointer, it helped.

For the record, I don't want PIA shut down, I just want them to obey the ordinances. A boycott is a very effective way to change practices and policies. I still feel reporting all theft to the police is the best practice. I gave the report over the phone to the police and to the park rangers in person and tried very hard not to waste any more time than needed. I can see how that upsets you, but I think the points I made about that in the other topic are tested and true.

Curious, did anyone get your evolution proline spirit from basket 18 at Creve Couer back to you?
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to Sioux Passage Park