Help with throw

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Re: Help with throw

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Good to hear Jason!
Heck, I still throw too high half of the time... too low others. I guess it comes with time.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jason h on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm

I think my grip is partlay to blame for my high throws. I use all four fingers under the disc and thumb to pointing to the center of the disc. I am going to try to point my thumb foward like giving a thumbs up. Any one think this will help?
Jason Hill
JCS #91
jason h
Bogey Poster

Postby eupher61 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Think about tilting your wrist forward. Think of it this way, if you're holding the disc normally, it's going to go up. Your hand and wrist are built that way. You may need to alter your grip a bit to get it level, but thinking about your wrist forward could help a lot. And, just plain throw it lower. Actually, whatever it takes to do that, there's your answer.

Thumb position could help with that, although you'll find that moving your thumb can make altering the flight a bit easier for some types of throw. Don't worry about that for now, concentrate on getting flat, straight flight. Distance will come, worry about consistent straight throws.
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby ilmcgee on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Some great advice has been given. The best thing would be to meet up with some of these guys and play. There is another online resource too, dgcoursereview.com, check out the technique forum there.
ilmcgee
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Another good resource is YouTube. Look up "Discraft Clinic". There are a ton of helpful videos that are actually produced quite well. Even though I have been playing for close to 20 years, I still go back and re-watch some of the videos from time to time. It never hurts to remind yourself...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Good advice discdoh.........there are also some decent Innova instructional vids on YouTube as well.

One of the best things you can do is get out & throw with some decent golfers & watch how they throw, you can pick up something here & there by doing so!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:31 am

So Jason, it is time to come out, looks like the best opportunities are right around the corner.
This Saturday it the Creve Couer Ace Dump:
Though Ace Pool is not so big as Ben dumped it a few weeks back, You will be subjected to a bunch of good golfers that will be forced to take golf shots, "Ace Runs". This would be a great opportunity to learn and have fun.

Ace pool is at 34.00

On Saturday we will be dumping the ace pool at noon.

The format will be 10 holes.

2 shots on each hole. Closest to the basket gets one tenth of the money.

Its still 5 bucks to play.

It only takes about 2 hours.

Secondly - The Club Champs, of course, Saturday and Sunday Oct 8-9 - RCF Club Championships - Be There!
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby jason h on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks for the tips guyd one day I sm going to get to a big event. Not any time soon though wife just had our baby boy things are going to be diffrent for a bit.
Jason Hill
JCS #91
jason h
Bogey Poster

Postby mkane on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:03 am

All the more reason for you to start to block out a few hours a weekend to keep the balance. You don't get to 24 years of marraige and three kids without Disc Golf!

The Club Champs will the the best 30 bucks you ever spent!

The Players Tour every other Saturday is the best Bargain at 10 bucks.

The club events held by our clubs are the best way to meet players of your skill level.

Good luck Jason!
mkane
Ace Poster

Help with throw

Postby emptv on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Disc Up Jason,
Good choice, alway family and friends first! Disc golf will still be there.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $180/$97
Sweeps= $4/$11
Fun= $378
emptv
Ace Poster