Help with throw

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Help with throw

Postby jason h on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:34 am

I am not shure if this is the place to ask this but here gos. I have only been playing a for a few months about 1 time a week. I am wanting to take a video of my drive what would be the best angle to do it from?
could this even help if some one saw the video could they point out what I need to do differently?

Has any one ever tried to throw in a batting cage would that help?

Thanks
Jason
Jason Hill
JCS #91
jason h
Bogey Poster

Re: Help with throw

Postby eupher61 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 am

IMO, front and to the same side as the drive---meaning, if you throw righthand backhand, camera at about 11 o'clock of the pad. If you throw righthand forehand, about one o'clock of the pad. And, be sure you can see any follow through also.
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:17 pm

I haven't been playing a very long time either, but one thing that has really helped me when getting advice about my drives was to tell folks what my throws were doing. Specifically, what was going wrong with the throws once they left my hand.

See if you can talk one of the guys here who have lots of experience to meet up with you on a local course some day to work on the little things you can't see in a video.

Good luck.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby DISC N TWEEK on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 am

Disc up Jason if u can make it up to Jefferson barracks on Thursday for singles league its just $1 for beginners. I would be more than happy to get on a card and give u some pointers. Help is always better in person. Oh singles starts around 5.

Jeff mccluskey
DISC N TWEEK
Par Poster

Postby jason h on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 pm

I think I just need to play more my drive seems to rise up as soon as I throw it and then hysers hard left. I wish I could make week nights but I work two jobs and can only play sat and sun. I hope to meet a lot of you guys some time.
Jason Hill
JCS #91
jason h
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:25 am

Again, not an expert by any stretch, but another helpful thing for me has been just going to an open field with as many discs as I have and just letting them fly over and over. Just be careful not to over-do it, you can hurt your shoulder and elbow faster than you think.

I think all new players go through the always a hard left hyzer issue. What helped me was always trying to throw with the outside edge of the disc up, like for an anhyzer - but throw it as straight as possible and try to keep the leading edge down a bit. They'll start off turning right but will straighten out and won't fade left until they slow down.

You might also look at some discs that are more stable or even a little understable. Ideas might be a Innova SL around 163-167G for a super stable disc (they are a little hard to find right now) or a Discraft Avenger in the same weight range for an understable driver. The SL flies really straight and flat and the Avenger has a tendency to turn to the right.

I made the big mistake when I started of wanting to throw big distance drivers and didn't pay any attention to the weight.

I eventually got it through my head to "disc down" as they say. It means start throwing mostly midrange and putters and reduce to fairway drivers (like a TeeBird) off the tee box even when you know you need to go a long way. I found that the experts were right and that I can throw a midrange (I'm currently using a Buzzz) almost just as far as a distance driver, but with much more accuracy and it's teaching me a lot about my form.

You have to throw a distance driver really fast for it to fly like it's supposed to. Any slower and it will start it's fade almost immediately (thus an instant left turn hyzer). The heavier discs (170 and up) also have to be thrown faster to fly normally.

Hope that helps a little friend. I plan on starting a "Beginners League" next spring with two tiers: first year players and second year players. Watch out for that and I hope to see you out there.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:46 pm

The best advice I was ever given was simple:

Throw Rocs and Aviars for 6 months. Once you can make them go straight, then try throwing hyzers and annys. Then, start throwing other things.

I didn't follow that, really, but I did it for a month. It made all the difference in the world. NOTHING but Rocs and Aviars.

Play catch with a friend with a putter (Aviar, they are the straightest around). Work toward having your throws hit your friend in the chest, straight at them, no turns or bends or whatever. That's your putt. The rest will follow.

steve
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby jason h on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks for the invites but I can only play on the weekends. I went out to a ball field last weekend and threw everything I had in the bag for about an hour. My best disc were my shark and valk. My nuke went the longest but that thing will roll forever. I had some luck with the slayer as well but had to aim way to the right of target. I picked up a new valk and a used champion beast the guy at play it again said they were both similar disc. The champion plastic feels nice in my hands feels more durable to me. I hope to get to the park tomorrow and play with the guys at west city.
Jason Hill
JCS #91
jason h
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:45 am

The Slayer is the most overstable disc I have ever thrown. It is really only for when you need a shot that cranks a hard turn at high speed and is just not suitable for beginners. The Champion (clear) plastics are indeed as tough as nails and have a good feel. Don't be afraid of getting the discs a little nicked and beat up. I realize it doesn't make much common sense, but it's really true that a "beat-in" disc will fly better.

Euphers advice is pretty good: Get a good straight flying putter and a good straight flying midrange and stick with it. If you have to throw a driver, I still recommend that everyone get a TeeBird. Also, watch and try to get weights below the 170's. You may not be able to tell the difference in your hand, but you'll really be able to tell when they fly.

Good luck.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jason h on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:22 pm

I love west city park that course is way long. I got tons of throws in some were good I think I have gotten my disc to fly flat now I need to throw lower. This game rocks. I only threw my beast once today it is nothing like a valk like the guy in the store said. My new Valk was ok but my beat to heck one is still my go to.
Jason Hill
JCS #91
jason h
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk