Unger is Closed until further notice

(Unger Park DGC is permanently closed)

Postby Chris K on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:26 pm

Unger is Closed until further notice.
We are still keeping Unger on back burner. The vandalism and theft at this park requires a stronger RCF presence on a daily basis. It also needs an 18 hole design. The 9 hole course is not much of an attraction compared to 18. So all it really takes is a dedicated Course Captain (and 3 friends) willing to commit to take care of Unger Park on a weekly basis to reopen it. Help reinstall 18 baskets including redesign with Dave McCormack; trim fairways, remove stumps, clean up trash, post fliers, and represent the RCF in a positive light to St Louis County Parks Dept and Rangers. As a club the RCF is committed to improve our parks and we can only do as much as the members are willing to do. We need more members to give of their time and talent to improve our parks. If you see something that needs to be done, please be willing to take on the project and the RCF will fund it once it's presented and passes the board. We have a limited amount of resources and therefore will prioritize the projects. We seek the volunteers who are willing to help us get ready for World's. There is a lot to do including getting more courses installed. I would love to get Unger redesigned as an 18 hole year round course. I just don't have time to be there every week and work.
Chris K
PS. Pick up trash every time you play a round of golf. It's the most noticeable (and appreciated) course improvement and it doesn't require a 'work day'. Put a few grocery bags in your bag.
Thanks in advance
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby emptv on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am

Disc Up,
Chris K. wrote,
We seek the volunteers who are willing to help us get ready for World's.

What year are we hosting worlds? :shock:
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
LAKERSwhere? = custom embroidery

The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $132/$19
Sweeps= $10/$0
Fun= $149
emptv
Ace Poster

Re: Unger is Closed until further notice

Postby Working Stiff on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:36 pm

emptv wrote:Disc Up,
Chris K. wrote,
We seek the volunteers who are willing to help us get ready for World's.

What year are we hosting worlds? :shock:
I heard somebody talking about 2016, so it sounded more like an idea than a plan.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby DiscGolfFreak on Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 pm

that would be awesome if the 18 hole course gets designed! itd be the closet 18 hole course near me(JB is the closest right now)

found another forum and it has a map of what the course would look like if you are interested:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... .php?t=359
PDGA #59749
DiscGolfFreak
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue May 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Being as this is a very old topic getting reopened, I'll chime in.

There are currently no plans or discussions about redesigning or ever reopening this course in the works. Aside from the rampant problems with theft and vandalism, the course is underwater far too frequently to be of any serious consideration.

There is an 18 hole course coming to Willmore Park (Gravois and River Des Peres) in St. Louis City later this summer, so that'll be a little closer than JB.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to Unger Park