Schroeder Park 2011 Summer League

Manchester, MO

Schroeder Park 2011 Summer League

Postby pjohnmeyer on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Last night was week one for the shiny new Schroeder Park summer league, co-sponsored by the club and the City of Manchester. We will be playing 18 every Tuesday through the summer and into fall; tee-off is at 5:30pm. The league organizer is Jim Gleason.

Week One Results
  • Low Score: Jim Gleason -- 24/27 -- 51
  • Closest to the Pin #1: Grant Goodrich
  • Closest to the Pin #10: Patrick Johnmeyer

If you missed week one, don't be shy, come on out next week and join in. More on league format will be posted before next Tuesday.

Edited: Updated league duration and tee-off time
Last edited by pjohnmeyer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Re: Schroeder Park 2011 Summer League

Postby Chris K on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Grab your cocktail and throw some Frisbees.
The league is changing the format to give it a chance to grow. There were a number of people who said they wanted to play week one but couldn't for various reasons and a group of people who wanted to play but could not commit to 8 weeks.
The new format is a weekly random draw doubles format of 2 rounds of 9 holes; $5 per week plus $1 for the Ace Pool (carries over from week to week and pays out at 75% so there is always something in it). You could pair up with pros, like Jim Gleason or Mike Fritz, or with another local.
The money will be divided; to payout - $3/man per week; and $2/man per week to fund the league ($1 for the finals' party, $1 for park improvements). The top one, two or three teams will cash depending on the number of teams. For those that want a little more, there will also be a $2 buy in, cash 50/50; $1 goes to payout and $1 goes for park improvements.
The RCF is giving a tube of Zanfel each Tuesday as a CTP (a $40 value) and more CTPs will be offered as the league grows. If you bring discs from your stock of discs as CTPs, we will give you a receipt for the donation. Thank you in advance for helping to improve Schroeder Park.
This is an instructional league where you will learn the rules of Disc Golf and proper techniques for drives and shot making. You might even make a new friend or two or at the least, find someone else to beat.
Week 1 we had 5 people and week 2 we tied with 5 people. Come on out and enjoy this great weather. The heat of the day has passed and the cicadas are back in the ground. Jump in the pool with a ‘pool pass’ CTP after the round. A lot of golfers play this short course and one described it as a longer White Birch with grass. Come and have some fun with us. We won’t laugh at you …. promise.
Tee off is 5:30 ish so call Jim Gleason if you are running past 5p arrival.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Scooter on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:01 am

i am gonna try to get a few JCS Sharpshooters together to come out and play on tues. Still play on tues right?
JCS# 42
RCF# 221
Cuvvy# 28
Chain Gang# 63
Centralia# 14
Scooter
Bogey Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Scooter wrote:i am gonna try to get a few JCS Sharpshooters together to come out and play on tues. Still play on tues right?

Yes, still playing on Tuesday -- we usually start gathering a little after 5:00 and tee off at or shortly after 5:30. We look forward to seeing some fresh faces!
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Week 3 saw its share of rain, but we had a solid turnout. In the end, it took five extra holes of sudden death to crown this week's champions.

1. Russ/Kevin -- 25-23 [48] (won playoff)
  2. Grant/Alan -- 21-27 [48]
  3. Karl/Joe -- 24-25 [49]
  4. Patrick/PJ -- 24-27 [51]
  5. Josh (Cali) -- 29-28 [57]

Grant and PJ won CTP on hole #7 / 16, respectively.
No aces were hit, so the Ace Pool grows to $19.

(If anybody sees any mistakes above PM me and I'll tweak it -- I'll try to do a better job gathering names next week.)
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:26 pm

It was a hot one for week 4 ... and based on some of the alternate tee locations that we picked on the back nine, I'd say the heat got to some of us.

1. Jim/PJ -- 23-23 [46]
  2. Grant/Rob -- 22-26 [48]
  3. Fritz (Cali) -- 27-23 [50]
  4. Patrick/Kyle -- 22-29 [51]

Jim won CTP on both #2 and #11.
No aces were hit, so the Ace Pool grows to $26.

Come on out and join us next week!
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 am

This is about the closest league that I could possibly make it to after work, so I'm wondering, are you actually getting started at 5 - 5:30? I don't get off work until 5 and it takes me about 25 minutes to drive straight from work to Schroeder park. So, the league sounds like a great time and I like the course... but I wouldn't want to commit to it and end up not being able to play or holding folks up if I'm running 5-10 mins behind.

Please let me know!

P.S. I noticed that all of the league games seem to want to start at 5pm. Wouldn't there be far more people likely to join if they didn't have to work until 5... or if the league started at 6.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 am

StubbornPuppet wrote:This is about the closest league that I could possibly make it to after work, so I'm wondering, are you actually getting started at 5 - 5:30? I don't get off work until 5 and it takes me about 25 minutes to drive straight from work to Schroeder park. So, the league sounds like a great time and I like the course... but I wouldn't want to commit to it and end up not being able to play or holding folks up if I'm running 5-10 mins behind.

Please let me know!

P.S. I noticed that all of the league games seem to want to start at 5pm. Wouldn't there be far more people likely to join if they didn't have to work until 5... or if the league started at 6.

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything........Schroeder is cool & I wish their league success......but the White Birch League in Hazelwood ALWAYS starts at 6:00 P.M. ! :mrgreen:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

StubbornPuppet wrote:This is about the closest league that I could possibly make it to after work, so I'm wondering, are you actually getting started at 5 - 5:30?

We start getting ready to tee off no earlier than 5:30. We will often wait a few minutes if we're expecting somebody that hasn't shown yet.

StubbornPuppet wrote:P.S. I noticed that all of the league games seem to want to start at 5pm. Wouldn't there be far more people likely to join if they didn't have to work until 5... or if the league started at 6.

Perhaps. On the other hand, the later you start, the harder it is to fit 18 holes into the available daylight. This is not so much a problem in the dead of summer, but as the year progresses it could become one. The best suggestion I have for you is to show up and raise that question with the league organizer.

Is there anybody else out there that has the same problem -- you could (and would) participate if the league teed off at 6:00?
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm

I'll do my best and try to make it on time this coming Tuesday.
I'll also do my best to not drag my partner down with my lousy throwing :lol:

I was hoping to get a friend of mine to join this league too, but I'm not confident in his ability to make anything on time. :P
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Paul A. Schroeder