Say it ain't so

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Say it ain't so

Postby HITMAN on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 pm

I heard last night that the board for going to vote to reimburse people for milage, and what's even worse a certain board member has already been doing this. That sounds like stealing to me. Can someone please clear this up for me. I hope none of this is true.
HITMAN
Par Poster

Re: Say it ain't so

Postby Chris K on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 pm

The RCF Club has grown from a small group of Discgolfers improving the St Louis scene to an organization more like a business with operating costs and overhead. It is unrealistic to assume the Club should operate from the pockets of its volunteers forever. At some point in time, the pocket becomes empty. Case in point, our inventory has grown from $2000 on hand to $6000 on hand. A single car cannot carry it anymore. We are looking for someone to store and manage and transport the merchandise to all our events. Preferably this person has a cargo van and is centrally located to all the courses. The Club will pay for fuel to transport the merchandise. I am currently transporting the merchandise to all the tournaments and I have a van to do it. This is not something I signed up for as I have more on my plate than I can keep up with.
Morgan, would you be willing to take on this task?
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Chris K wrote:It is unrealistic to assume the Club should operate from the pockets of its volunteers forever. At some point in time, the pocket becomes empty.

can you say slippery slope?
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby tallpaul on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 am

I am an out of towner; with ties to the LAKER crew. I am also the director of the FVRA, Inc. which is a not for profit, formed primarily to support sports other than disc golf (though, I had planned to, and it appears that it will be happening sooner rather than later; for disc golf to be a portion of our endeavors). I, personally, have spent 20+ years giving to the sport of disc golf; without ever expecting any return. Most contributors to our sport have done the same. However, as I'm sure many of you have noticed, this dynamic is changing somewhat; largely out of necessity. You have elected board members. It then becomes their responsibility to behave in your best interests. They should also be providing detailed financial reports. If this is being done correctly, then you have to believe they are acting in your interests as a club. If not, then election time is the time to make changes. In the meantime, they must be allowed to perform the duties they were elected to perform. Fuel costs are a portion of the cost of business. Everyone simply needs to be accurate and above board as regards documentation.
tallpaul
Bogey Poster

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion