Forest Park DGC

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Forest Park DGC

Postby Matteo on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:56 am

As many of you know I have been meeting with city parks officials on installing a course in the city. The meeting last week was very promising. This was the first time they where receptive to the idea, and they have given us permission to design a course and present it to them. As I mentioned in the Carondelet thread please use me as the contact person on this matter, do not try to contact them yourself. I think it's very important for this to be presented professionally from one source.

The space that has been approved is Stienburg rink area, along Grand and Jefferson Dr. round lake up to the north edge of central fields. That portion of the park has been rehabbed and should not see any major changes in design. When you go look, keep in mind of the walking trail and prairie area. I know the Lakers have set up here in the past and I would like to see that layout or anyone that has a design for that space.

I think this is the most promising lead for a course in Forest Park has looked in a long time, if ever. So keep checking back for updates.

Designers please call me or email me @ matt.augustin@sbcglobal.net as I am bad about getting on the thread on a regular basis.

The time line on this project could be completed this year! I am going to wait for the snow to melt to get a better idea of the space. I plan on presenting the layout in early March. That should give us just enough time to work out some kinks and give them a solid design.
AM FOR LIFE! If I could only putt.......
Matt Augustin
PDGA 12619
Matteo
Bogey Poster

Re: Forest Park DGC

Postby REDARMY on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 pm

matt/bruce/john/francis/mark, someone give me a heads up when this plan starts to come together. i want to be there to test out the preliminary layout!
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Forest Park DGC

Postby emptv on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:22 am

Disc Up Matt,
Francis, Bob B., and myself have just discussed this and will be working diligently to find/tweak the "LAKERS Forest Park DGC" :lol: design that we used. Obviously there will be changes, but it is at least had a run through before. We will be working to get this to you ASAP.
Mike, I will give you a call when we are going to be going down to virtually recreate the course and make the adjustments.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm

woot!
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby Golfer X on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:06 am

Whuuuu?
Golfer X
Par Poster

Postby discdoh on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:13 am

We have cracked the shell. Mid-Feb let's do an organized temp setup and get some hardcore topo plans mapped out. Here is an opportunity that MUST be taken to the next level.

I'm thinking 275' holes will be a good number to average...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby eric on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:53 am

that'll probably be a good hole length average greg, any more than that and it'll get dangerous.
eric
Bogey Poster

Postby jalbanese on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:43 pm

I recently look at the forest park and "forest park forever" websites and I have visited the park several times lately. The "forest park forever" website mentions the "wheels and heels" multi-use path project that was started last year (it may be be already completed) which coveres the entire park. One thing I did notice was a sign at the top of the driveway for the Steinberg ice rink. The sign shows the proposed layout for a multi-use path that covers most of the area mentioned as being the "space" available for a disc golf course. I'll drive by tomorrow afternoon and see if I can make better sence out of the information on the sign. Realistically, out of the entire "available" area, there may only be room for a 9 pin "mini-golf" course. There could possibly be a really stretched out 18 pin course with long walks between the pins and the pads and no easy way to make the front 9 and the back 9 flow from start to finish. The "mini" course would be pins of 125 to 275 ft. On the full 18 pin layout, most of the pins would be 175 to 250 ft and a maybe a couple at just over 300 ft. It would help to know how much of the "space" will be lost to the "wheels and heels" paths. I hope that I can somehow contribute to the efforts to get a permanent course installed in forest park. Please let me know how I can be of any help.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Postby emptv on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Disc Up Redarmy,
I am working on a google earth file for Forest Golf DGC. I will also be needing to go there and check it out. Do you have google earth on your computer? If so, I can send you the file and you can see what we had used in the past and add changes/comments for improvements. A lot of changes in the park since we last played, mainly a lot of bird houses in what was our old fairways, so we will have to make alternate fairways. We can talk this Sunday before the Bridgeton nooner, if you are there.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:39 am

i do have google earth, so yeah, ill take a look at whatcha got.

as for bridgeton, i'll have to dig around for info on this nooner thing, but i'll be there way before 12 so i can help don/mark/tim/whomever with baskets and maybe make a run through with trashbags if enough snow is melted.
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion