Willmore Park General Discussion

The City of St. Louis, MO

Willmore Park General Discussion

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:45 am

It's official! Willmore Park DGC is a GO!
Throw your hands in the air and... well, do whatever it is you personally like to do with your hands once they're up there :D

The St. Louis Disc Golf Club plans to officially open this course on Saturday, August 17th with our first Annual Willmore Open. The details of this inaugural event are posting here: http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2252

After that, the course will be open to the general public. We certainly hope you will all do your best to help prove that disc golf courses, like this one, are a true benefit to the city of St. Louis and to make the St. Louis Disc Golf Club proud.

This course represents the hard work of many people and, even more so, the importance of membership in the St. Louis DIsc Golf Club, as this course is being 100% paid for by the money raised from membership fees and member events. That doesn't mean that the job is done now that the course is being built, it means we need your membership more than ever - to help us recover our funds from this significant expense. If you haven't renewed yet this year, please do. If you know friends who play disc golf but who are not club members, please take a moment to remind them of how important it is. Great courses like this, which are free to play, only happen when we all do our part.

With that said, Willmore is going to be a great course. Tons of variety in challenge, shot shaping and length to be found here and that will only continue to improve as the club is able to refill it's coffers and buy more pin placements and, if all goes well for the first year or so, concrete tee pads.

A couple of things to take note of:

The disc golf course is installed in this park as part of an agreement of cooperation between the St. Louis Disc Golf Club and the City of St. Louis. The City of St. Louis has retained the right to have us remove the course at any time.

Willmore is a well established city park that has a very large base of regular park users. It will take a good long while for the general public to get used to disc golf being played in this park - and that means it's up to all of US to set the example for how they will see us in the future. If other park visitors are utilizing the space within the disc golf course, be kind and courteous; they don't know and they aren't there to annoy you. If you must ask them to step aside, do so with politeness and respect - or just skip that hole and go around. Nothing good can be gained from any sort of confrontation, so treat other park visitors like they were there first, because they were. In time, everyone will figure out how to share the space with us.

Also, the City of St. Louis does not allow alcoholic beverages in their parks, it's against the law. Also, no glass containers of any kind are allowed. This should be an easy one, just don't do it. Again, it's about setting a good example for disc golf in St. Louis and ensuring that this course is a shining example for other possible courses in the future.

Finally, a huge, huge round of thanks and congratulations to everyone who has worked so hard to make this course a possibility. That includes everyone who was directly involved, everyone who played in any of the four trial events and everyone who joined the St. Louis Disc Golf Club in 2013. THANK YOU!
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: Willmore Park General Discussion

Postby scottscar on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Woo hoo!
scottscar
Bogey Poster

Postby clane on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:45 am

Since the tournament is now 3 weeks away, what do we need to get done? Who do I talk to to help? When are work days?
People want this course to go in, but if we don't know what needs to be done we can't do much.
I've been to Sioux and helped Francis, maybe not as much as I should, but I don't live very close. I DO live close to Willmore.

Let's get this thing going!
Tag #204
clane
Par Poster

Postby Mattress on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:11 pm

What up yo's
I created a twater page for all things related to Willmore DGC. the feed is @WillmoreDGC.
https://twitter.com/willmoredgc
Twitter is going to be an easy way for me to post happenings. So sign up and follow us. I know everyone is excited about this and wanting to get it going. Im fairly certain we have it under control.
Here is what's happen:
All the tee markers will be done by Tuesday aug 30th. 5 more tees to go as of now. Tuesday eve the remanding 5 will go in. We do have a small work day going this Sunday the 4th to drill holes and drop the sleeves. We have a handful of peeps already. We don't want to take away from the Souix install though. It's been an issue as far as getting peeps up there to help. So head north my friends. Francis and the gang need some help more than we need it at willmore. The baskets prob won't go in until just before the 17th.

Tee signs will go in after the 17th
Mattress
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 pm

WORKDAY

This coming Sunday, August 4th, there will be a work day at Willmore. We'll be out there digging the holes for tee posts and basket sleeves and could use a few hands for moving the dirt, carrying bags of concrete, pushing wheelbarrows and other supporting roles. If you wanna show your love and support for the first ever course in St. Louis City, come on out on Sunday and we'll put a big dent in getting this ready to open on the 17th for the Inaugural St. Louis City - Willmore Open. Sandwiches and plenty of water will be provided.

Please plan to arrive at 8am and be ready to work starting at 8:30. We could use wheelbarrows, shovels and, if anyone has one, a regular or gas powered auger for hole digging. Please call me at 314-302-8204 if you have questions or to let me know you will be attending. Thanks everyone!
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:34 pm

BAM! Great workday!!!

With 13 of us rocking the job at Willmore today we really made all the progress we'd hoped for. Our amazing team got 61 holes dug in the ground to install 18 tee posts, 24 sleeves for baskets, 16 navigation markers, a glorious kiosk frame and a general sign post, then got all of the items that go in those holes concreted in to place.

Those responsible today, and to be highly praised:

Rob Nahlik
Matt Augustin
Chris Lane
Greg Dohogne
Roger Reyes
Dave Rose
Vince Weber
Mike Stephens
Jake Harrison
Jeff McClusky
Josh Henson
and The 4-Man Auger (couldn't have done it without you buddy)

Man, what a great feeling to see good people working together for a common interest - knowing that the goal is the best reward.

I hope this goes down in history as one of the great testaments for how teamwork can get a course installed with style. Then, I hope that the success we saw today becomes triple that at the Sioux Passage Work and Play day on Sunday, Aug. 18th. http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2152&start=40
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:32 am

It was sweet to see it all take place! No complainers, just hard workers!

BTW, Francis asked me to move the Sioux 2 Work & Play Day to August 18th...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Mattress on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 am

WOW!
Words will not even come close to the performance the above mentioned guys pulled off on Sunday.
For the most part a ONE DAY INSTALL!

Many many thank you's to anyone who has had a part in this.
RCF members and board- none of this would be posable without all of us.

Dave Mac- electric concrete mixer! Whoa nelly. Not to mention your tips and tricks for putting this sucka in the ground. The years of commitment and help you provide to this sport is untouchable.

STL city parks dept. -a political head banger but none the less couldn't do it with out there help.

The handful of guys that did this- we are Awesome and a dying breed of hard workers.

All you pansy a..... should thank all of us and the guys and gals doing the work at S.P. and other course volunteers over the years.

Looking forward to getting the baskets in and running an awesome tournament on the 17th. See 90 of you there.
Mattress
Bogey Poster

Postby MADDISC on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:11 pm

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby Lazerface on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Is there baskets in the ground?
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED