Willmore Teepads Going In!!!

The City of St. Louis, MO

Willmore Teepads Going In!!!

Postby discdoh on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:15 pm

I guess when it happens with the city it happens quick! The teepads should be poured and ready to go by this weekend!

4' in front 8' in back 15' long
NICE!!!

WE WILL HAVE TEEPADS FOR THE CITY OF ST LOUIS OPEN ON AUGUST 16TH
Attachments
1406754837377.jpg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: Willmore Teepads Going In!!!

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Well, the tee pads are 12' long, 8' in back, 5' in front... and they have a 4' red concrete foul box in front of them.

The course has also undergone a few minor design adjustments to address some safety concerns.

The pad for 5 has been moved about 80' forward and over towards the path to help avoid hits on people who cross the field from the shelter.

The pad for hole 6 has moved over about 40' to the left of it's original position to add a little more length and keep shots moving away from the path.

Hole 8 has been reversed. We all loved the downhill shot... but perhaps we loved it a bit too much. Throws were carrying a bit too far and ending up hitting fishers by the pond. It's an uphill now.

The tee for 10 has been moved about 50' forward and a little to the left. Hopefully this will really reduce the number of throws going into the street.

The tee for 12 has moved a bit to the left and forward...

To make way for moving tee 13 a bit to the right - because some players kept trying to throw crazy shots over the path to the left where the hole was never designed to go. Again, people were getting hit.

But YEAH! Willmore will now have the best tees in the whole area!
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 am

Well MOST of that sounds good......especially the tee pads! But changing hole # 8 just sucks.....you already had # 9 as an uphill shot, now your saying there will be two uphill shots in a row.... :evil:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:41 pm

jeffthrow6892 wrote:Well MOST of that sounds good......especially the tee pads! But changing hole # 8 just sucks.....you already had # 9 as an uphill shot, now your saying there will be two uphill shots in a row.... :evil:

I don't think anyone "likes" it. The downhill shot was really cool. But with so many occasions of discs carrying further than intended and bonking people fishing or walking on the path... it was really the right choice.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Stubborn Puppet wrote:
jeffthrow6892 wrote:Well MOST of that sounds good......especially the tee pads! But changing hole # 8 just sucks.....you already had # 9 as an uphill shot, now your saying there will be two uphill shots in a row.... :evil:

I don't think anyone "likes" it. The downhill shot was really cool. But with so many occasions of discs carrying further than intended and bonking people fishing or walking on the path... it was really the right choice.

You know, it is what it is I suppose......but, for the sake of arguement, I've got to disagree that it was necessary to change hole # 8. Yes, there was a walking path behind & past the pin, but jeez, there was a LOT of room, someone would really have to overdrive the hole big time to reach that path. I always felt the hole played longer than it looked and often came up short off the tee. And the pond & people fishing was a non-factor on that particular hole. I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys throwing shots downhill & doesn't really enjoy throwing uphill. ANYWAY.....I'll have to get down there sometime soon & check out all the changes....
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:21 pm

Jeff, you are completely right. It wasn't too close to the path or the pond at all. It was just right. And there was plenty of room.

However, let's just say that some people lack restraint and control. It happened too many times for the course captains to ignore it. I don't like the decision, but I appreciate that these guys took safety seriously.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Lazerface on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 am

I have to say I was dissapointed to see the hole 8 redesign, but have to admit that the new hole 8 is great and has way more potential for multiple pins and to be stretched out. When it comes to saftey - I agree with the better safe than sorry approach.

It is hard to argue that the walking path was really "in play" but the more seasoned golfer really does not consider how arrant a novice players shots can be. Willmore has introduced a lot of people to disc golf and there are a lot of newbs out there.

The old hole 8 will be missed, but the new one is a great hole.

On another note, those tee pads are top notch and it is refreshing to see such support from the City of St. Louis. The "penalty zone" that will be dyed a different color is brilliant and should be on every course. Not every casual player will abide, but it will have a huge impact on the long term erosion that is inevitable in front of all tee pads.
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby Robertnahlik on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Alright here's some info:
Teepads will NOT be ready to play this weekend. They are all still under construction or not poured at all. Please repect the caution tape and be patient a few more days. It's pretty easy to find other spots to tee from. Have some fun with it!
These are going to be the safest and most comfortable teepads around!
Look for other improvements going on as well. Practice basket is in, New pin positions on the way, more "next tee" arrows, etc.
As far as old hole 8 , I appreciate your sentiments on all that and I don't disagree for the most part. It was a fun shot. I'll probably still throw it sometimes. The hole was clearly limited and with issues though. Gone!
New Hole 8 is going to be awesome, if it isnt already. Patience.
Robertnahlik
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:42 pm

I'm told the pads are finished and ready for play!
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:11 am

Well it took me too damn long to get down to Willmore.....but anyway the new tee pads are simply awesome!! Probably the best tee pads of any course in the STL area I'm thinking. It was good to see some new pin placements on some holes as well.....
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Return to Willmore Park