The Carrollton Concrete Conundrum: an Out of Bounds Discussion

Bridgeton, MO

Re: The Bridgeton Bomber - July 14th

Postby Mike_R on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Stubborn Puppet wrote:Now that this topic is totally derailed...

I was thinking the same thing. Sorry Greg D!

On the plus side, I am learning lots about OB. Most importantly, throw away anything you know about OB from ball golf.

Thanks Greg W for the links. Good info there.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Re: The Carrollton Concrete Conundrum: an Out of Bounds Disc

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 am

Great name for the topic Ted, sounds like we think alike :D

I too have read all the links and that was indeed enlightening. Mostly I was surprised to learn that I've been following most of the rules without thinking about it.

All makes me personally think that the sidewalks should still be IB. It's not like people are using them as sidewalks anymore and, with all the OB on this course anyhow, it would really simplify the confusion.

One thing that totally does need to be addressed, because I've already seen it several times, is folks feeling at liberty to throw over the road to the grass on the other side in order to get a better run at the basket. The biggest "violation" has been on hole 13 - where folks throw over onto the fairway for 16 to get around that wall of trees right in the middle of the 13 fairway. I do have a hard time blaming them for it, as that wall of trees is a bit too dense to be considered a valid obstacle in my opinion. But what I'm trying to say is that it should be made crystal clear that players may not throw over the road to the grass and that "over the road" is always OB.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby MADDISC on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:49 pm

The problem with the sidewalks being ob is that they are not in very good shape in some spots.
The grass is growing up in the middle of the sidewalks in some spots. and in other spots they are crumbling away. Also what about the driveways that are left they are not street or sidewalk? I would say if it was me that the road is ob only.
Just my opinion.
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

I agree 100% with the last two previous posts.........there is simply no real reason WHY the sidewalks have to be played as O.B. ! The road & across as O.B. would be plain & simple, & still leaves LOTS of O.B. to avoid on this course. I haven't seen anyone throwing across the road on # 13 for a better shot to the basket, that obviously should not be allowed, no matter how silly the hole is......... :roll:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:54 pm

So the on or over the roads is ob, and the rest; sidewalks, driveway aprons and such are in?

That would definitely simplify things; no worries about relief on sidewalks just the roads.

I can live with that.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby mmunter on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 am

I have not got a chance to play this awesome-sounding course yet (way too busy this last month), but here is my take, for what its worth. I would say one of these two things: "On or over sidewalks is OB", or "On or over roads is OB".

If the strip of grass between the sidewalk and road is IB and the sidewalk is OB, random shots could get rewarded/punished. For example: You shank your drive way right and land on the OB sidewalk...OB, too bad for you. I throw next, and shank my drive even worse, so I land 5 ft further right than you, but land on the strip of grass between the road and the sidewalk...I'm IB. This is not fair at all.

Again, I've never seen the land, but I would guess that the road is more clearly defined than the sidewalk (maybe true :?: ). So I would end up saying "On or over the roads is OB". I know the course is young, but it might also be a good idea to eventually put this on a sign or the scorecard....that way everyone plays by the same rules (obviously lots of people will ignore the rules and do whatever they feel like, but at least there will be a clear intent).

Thanks to all of those who put in lots of hard work...I can't wait to check it out!
mmunter
Bogey Poster

Previous

Return to Carrollton Park