New Players League?

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

New Players League?

Postby eupher61 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 pm

Has a league for newbies ever been run around here? I'd be willing to do it, maybe on a Tuesday, since those are doubles nights.

Question then comes, what course? White Birch, except it's crowded enough, and I'd prefer not having the new players pay at all, except 51.

Would the club be willing to sponsor, which really wouldn't involve anything but the name being used? I know, I'm not yet a RCF member, but that's coming soon. I doubt many would come routinely, but if 2 or 3 play every week it would be worth it.

My proposal, I guess:

A league for new players, defined as those with either little disc golf experience, or no organized play experience, regardless of skill level. Each round would start with a brief Q &A about rules, etiquette, etc, and then after the round another Q&A. At least one experienced player would be present, ideally at least 2, to play with cards and offer advice and information to the newbies.

New Players League would have no charge, Aces would be handled as a 51 situation if all agree. New Players would be encouraged, but not required, to join the RCF, and encouraged to participate in league play and help with or play in tournaments.

Statistics would be kept for each player for the season.
==========

What say the powers?

steve hoog
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Re: New Players League?

Postby jmckee1147 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:16 am

What area are you from? Arnold has a great short course that would be great for a beginner league. In fact we are trying to get a league going on Fridays. We meet start between 4 and 5 and play 2 rounds of 9. There is no fee for the league and we play for tags, and a couple of buck (optional). When you say if 2 or 3 regularly show, we have 4 that make it. At least for the first 2 weeks. I am figuring that Arnold is a great location and it won't take long to build a singles league there.

Questions or comments, post a reply, or call me Joe 314-276-5112
Make common sense common again
jmckee1147
Par Poster

Postby eupher61 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 am

Joe,
playing for tags implies you are already into the sport.
I'm talking people who really know next to nothing about it, at least about organized play at all, such as rules, etiquette.
The intention of a newbie league is to attract people to the sport AND to the club. Having a couple of experienced club members (again, I will be soon...) who know rules and etiquette and don't mind playing with hackers is important to the process.
I'm thinking Endicott, since it's a reasonable length, has lots of challenges in terms of woods and hills, but isn't really intimidating. White Birch is just too busy, and paying a buck seems wrong in this context. (I have no problem with it otherwise, don't get me wrong.) Something more centrally located would be better, but there's really no better option.
That said, I'm planning to get out there one of these Fridays soon...

steve
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby f-b-i- on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:09 pm

wow endicott not intemidating. step up to blair witch es tee pad and throw a good shot after you watched bryan j nut it down the fair way for an easy three . endicott bites real hard.
f-b-i-
Bogey Poster

Postby eupher61 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:38 pm

Well...at face value, Endicott IS less intimidating, compared to the length of Creve Coeur or SP. Is there a better suggestion for a course? I live in West County, so Sunset or JB are really out of consideration.
I guess Schroeder...but last time I was there I couldn't navigate. I understand it's been reworked, but the signs don't seem to have been adjusted yet? Not a complaint, just an observation.
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:33 am

shroeder wouldn't be a bad idea actually.

nevermind how easy the course is, with so many of the pars over-estimated, newbies will feel like superstars after playing there.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 am

I think most people would agree that out of the main 4, endicott is the most difficult to well at consistently. It's not as long as some of the others, but poor shots get severly punished out there. I know a lot of people would veto creve coeur because it's long, but that gives new players a lot more opportunities to get their throws down. I don't play out there enough to know, but did the blocks ever get put down marking the short tees like were talked about a while ago?
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:08 am

Short pads at CC? Not that I've seen anywhere. That would make it a lot more practical for beginners.

Agreed about Endicott's difficulty totally, ask anyone who played the league this week about my game there that night.
Perception to a beginner though, as I've talked to several there over the last couple of weeks, is that it's a nice park excluding the mud, lots of people to help you navigate, and they feel comfortable playing there because it is relatively busy. IMO, if short tees could be established there, at least on the tunnel shots, it would be great for beginners. A variety of looks and shots needed. That's where an experienced player can help out, by assuring that it's OK to throw short and straight. That's part of the NPL thing too---a few minutes before the round talking about the most common throws.

It really makes me no difference.

I'm willing to do it, I'm limited by drive time at this point, given the sun right now. Endicott is by far closest, CC next, then WB (not really in my consideration though), then Schroeder. It'll take me at least 25 minutes to get to Manchester, though, so we're talking no earlier than a 530 start at any time.

Of course, there may be no one at all show up to play.
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:04 pm

yeah, no shorts at CC when i was there last (a couple weeks ago).

endicott may not be ideal because of the steep learning curve, but given a few runs at it, you can't do much better to develop a well-rounded game.

uphill/downhill/fast greens/slow greens/open/wooded/hyzer/anhyzer... it's all pretty well covered there.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:06 am

I put a sign on the board at Endicott tonight, and hung around and talked to a few people about the Newbie League.
It may not get much action, but I'll be there every Tuesday, through the end of May for now, and then we'll see what happens.

What I'll plan to do:
Have people there about 530, talk about general rules, maybe a few sample throws if the ballfield isn't in use.
Start playing by 545. Talk about possible shots, stances, disc selection, etc as we go. Rules and etiquette as we go.
Emphasis on FUN.
Club membership encouraged, not required. But, the RCF will get plenty of shout outs, believe me.

I'm not a great player, but I've learned a lot about teaching and coaching through the years. Do as I say not as I do, and all that.

If you know anyone who could benefit from this, PLEASE, send 'em to Endicott Tuesdays, by 530. No charge, unless the group decides to play 51 rules. Side bets discouraged.
And, anyone who wants to be a mentor in this, feel free to join me too. There were a couple of guys already on the course who seemed interested, so maybe we'll have a couple of cards.

thanks.

steve
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.