Willmore Wednesdays - GLOW Edition - Starts 11/6/13

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

Willmore Wednesdays - GLOW Edition - Starts 11/6/13

Postby discdoh on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Willmore Park DGC is getting its glow league on!

Here is the info...

The ACE POOL is currently at $400! :shock: If it holds on for one more week of daytime Willmore Wednesday action, it will most defintiely transfer over to the glow league. How cool would that be to win a massive ACE POOL in the dark?! ;) Come and get it!

discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: Willmore Wednesdays - GLOW Edition - Starts 11/6/13

Postby bean928 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Ive never played glow before but wilmore seems like a nice place to try it out. Do you light up the baskets or just go by just knowing where the pin is?
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I am worKing on procuring the cLubs set of LED umbrella lights. If a few people help out each week we will be able to light up the baskets like a Christmas tree! I am slightly concerned about theft issues, but we will just have to see how it goes. I will start off with a little faith in humanity...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby DISC N TWEEK on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:39 pm

That sounds good greg. I can get there by 4:50 EACH WEDNESDAY TO HELP SET UP. LET ME KNOW.
JEFF MCCLUSKEY
DISC N TWEEK
Par Poster

Postby bean928 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 pm

I can help to on days I play. Which I hope I can but work is first :-(
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:09 am

Daytime Willmore Wednesdays is now over for the season...time to get your GLOW on!!

See you next Wednesday (11/6)!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 am

Just a couple of updates for the league:

- I will have plenty of LED lights for sale. I ordered 250 x 2-Packs. Of those, the majority are the 3-mode red color. I am a firm believer that these show up the best and don't bother your eyes as much on the teebox (they don't affect your night vision like the other colors do). That said, I did get a smaller percentage of green ones as well. That way you can at least have a little variety. I also ordered some 3-Color 7-Mode ones as well. These cost a tiny bit more, but you can choose between red, green, or blue for the solid colors, AND you can choose to have them "mood swing" between the colors or "disco" with all 3 colors. I didn't order a ton of them, as there is always the possibility that they are junk compared to the simpler models...we will just have to wait and see. Those will be available on a first come first served basis. The pricing will go as follows:

3-mode single color - $3 for 2 LEDs or $5 for 4 LEDs (you can mix-n-match between the red and green)

7-mode 3-color - $1.50/each (if you buy $5 worth of single color LEDs, you will be allowed to get 1 of these as part of the deal)

HotHands Handwarmers - $1 per 2-Pack

- I will have some tape on hand, but it is highly recommended that you bring your own as well. After switching the lights back and forth between discs a few times, the tape gets worn out and a fresh application is necessary. I would recommend buying some high-quality packing tape (Walgreens has some convenient compact sized Duck brand dispensers - 2 for $5). You can also use plain old electricians tape as well (2 strips applied to either end of the LED). It works great, but it just isn't as waterproof as the packing tape.

- We are going to stick to the 6:00PM START time for the first week. After that, the people that show up will help me determine if 5:30PM is a better option for the future. I noticed yesterday that it was pretty dark at 5:30PM, so it definitely is an option. Realize that when I say 6:00PM START time, this means everyone will be at their assigned hole and ready to play at 6:00PM. I will be done taking sign-ins around 5:45PM. I may have to cut a little slack for the first week until everyone understands the concept. ;)

- It sounds like I will probably have some people willing to help put the umbrella lights on all of the baskets beforehand. The ideal amount of volunteers would be 4 - 1 takes care of 1, 11, 12, 13 - 1 takes care of 14-18 - 1 takes care of 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 - 1 takes care of 6, 7, 8, 9. If I get 4 solid volunteers every week, this should be pretty quick and painless. If you can make it out a little early to help out, that would be much appreciated!

- I will also need help bringing in the basket lights and CTPs as well. Hopefully I will be able to let every group know ahead of time what they need to bring in when they are finished. I will have an LED attached to the CTP flags as well, so everyone should have no problem figuring out where everything is...

And here is the big update...

- I am HEAVILY considering making this league a mixed format league. I am considering making the league a random draw doubles format for 1 week of every month (probably the second Wednesday of every month). Weigh in on what you think and I will plan accordingly...

I am getting pretty excited about this glow league! I hope to see you all out there!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Genn on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm

While I think I understand the mini-games, I'm going to go ahead and ask the n00b question(s) for clarity..

How do Skins and 50/50 work in this format?
Genn
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:14 pm

The 50/50s are CASH CTPs (Closest to the Pin). There will be 1 on the Front 9 and 1 on the Back 9. Previously at Willmore Wednesdays, the 50/50s were in actuality 100/100s (100% of money collected paid to the winner). For the GLOW league, they will returm to being true 50/50s (50% of the money collected paid to the winner). The extra money that is collected will go to pay for batteries for the basket lights, LEDs for the CTPs and replacement basket lights when one quits working due to normal wear and tear. If there is any money leftover at the end of the GLOW league (Spring DST), the remaining funds will go towards Willmore course improvements (tee signs, concrete teepads, etc.).

SKINS are a bit trickier to explain, but here it goes...
Everyone that participates in the SKINS puts $2 towards the SKINS POT. If there are 30 people that participate, there is $60 in the SKINS POT. To win a SKIN, you must shoot the lowest score on a hole compared to everyone else that plays the hole on that day/night. For example, let's say you get a deuce on Hole 3 and everybody else gets a 3 or worse...you get 1 SKIN on Hole 3. If that is the only hole where there is a decisive winner, then you would win 100% of the SKINS POT. If there are other holes where somebody wins a SKIN, then the SKINS POT gets divided up equally between the various winners (you can win more than 1 SKIN to increase your percentage of the take). There can be 1 SKINS winner or there could be 18 winners...it all just depends on how things play out that day.

There will also be 3 FREE CTPs provided every week by Gateway Disc Sports. You do not need to pay any extra money to take part in these! They will always be really nice ($20-30 in value each)...Thank you Dave MCCormack!

BTW, the LEDs were purchased by the club. Any profits from the sales of LEDs will go towards course improvements (Willmore or otherwise). I just want that to be clear. I was going to purchase them myself and pocket the profit, but it made more sense for the club to receive the profits and put the money to good use...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Genn on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! Provided the weather isn't too terrible, I plan to be there.
Genn
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.