The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

Re: The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Postby legendarydave on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 pm

I may be able to stop by early and get one... gotta help my bro move AND go to Loufest tomorrow.
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Sorry for the long delay in posting the results... I've been very backlogged with other stuff.

GAME 21

Here's the breakdown:

4 players

The league balance was $188.22
Fees paid of $20
$12 towards payouts
$4 towards prizes and expenses
$4 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $69.22 / Party = $127 Total = $196.22

The game ended leaving three divisions: Advanced, Moderate and New Players

Advanced
Name, Score, Place, Payout
Matt Grogan, 55, 1st, $6
Daniel Doss, 58, 2nd, -

Moderate
Don Rush, 64, 1st, ($3)

New
Travis Williams, 73, 1st, $3

No Aces were hit, but the scent is definitely in the air... I know that many of us can sense that it's right around the corner, maybe next week. Holes 3, 4 and 6 have been especially hot.

CTP was on hole 5 and Travis had a very nice run on the first round that held up through the second round. He got a nice bag towel from Paragon.

This thursday, be ready for a brand new hole we've never played before. It's going to be epic fun and I intend to put the CTP on it and offer a premium prize.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:46 am

Just a reminder about tonights league game!

I am expecting a decent turnout tonight and it'll be worth it.
Look forward to a brand new, never before played, hole on the course - complete with a CTP prize with a value of $40.This will allow for us to again skip the lousy tee 9 location and throw from tee 8 to basket 9.

The sun is starting to get a little short with us as we move ever closer to the end of this leagues first season... please show up and be ready to play by 5:15 (call if you're running late and I'll make sure you're on a card - 314-302-8204)
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 am

GAME 22

For last nights league game, we finally got an even number and were able to play random draw doubles. I think that was fun and it seemed that everyone agrees... let me know.

We also had that special new hole. This was located between the standard hole 6 and 7 in the woods by the drainage. It's a tight tunnel shot with a smooth "S" shaped fairway, about 275' long. I think it's a great location and a fun shot, I don't think it's too difficult... but we all seemed to struggle with it. I'm going to chalk that up to a combination of a bunch of very bad throws and it being unfamiliar territory until someone tells me otherwise. I was still super happy to play it and thought it was a fun addition.

Here's the breakdown:

6 players - 3 doubles teams (random by disc flip)

The league balance was $196.22
Fees paid of $30
$18 towards payouts
$6 towards prizes and expenses
$6 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $75.22 / Party = $133 Total = $208.22

We decided that the payout would go to the winning team to be split 50-50

Here's the team scores

Daniel and Mark: 52
Don and John: 56
Karl and Travis: 58

No Aces were hit, but man were there a couple of close calls on 3 and 5.

The CTP was placed on the temporary hole 7 and was a $40 tube of Zanfel Poison Ivy/Oak curative wash. Daniel managed a pretty smooth shot on the second round (in a strong contrast to the really lousy shot on the first round :oops: ) and scooped it up.

Anyhow, super good time, as usual, and I look forward to seeing everyone next week.

Remember to reserve November 1st! This is the final night of league and will be our League Party and a glow game. We'll have the shelter reserved for a cookout and all the baskets will be lit. Plan on bringing a little extra money so you can put some blinking LED's on your discs, I'll have them for sale cheap.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:51 am

GAME 23

Again, I tell everyone that the weather always favors the Beginners' League... but few listen. All of the silly clouds and wind seem to have kept the majority away, but it only rained at Watson Trail for 5 minutes, 15 minutes before tee time. Just enough to tamp out all the dust and leave us with ideal conditions. You may now kick yourselves for missing it.

We again used that special new hole and again enjoyed the challenge and style it presents.

Here's the breakdown:

3 players - singles stroke play

The league balance was $208.22
I purchased 3 new discs for CTP's at a total of $49.54. (1 Lat64 Flow, 1 Lat64 Core and 1 Discraft Nuke)
Fees paid of $15
$9 towards payouts
$3 towards prizes and expenses
$3 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $28.68 / Party = $136 Total = $164.68

Here's the breakdown

Advanced
Matt Grogan, 54, 1st, $6
Daniel Doss, 57, 2nd, -

New
Travis Williams, 77, 1st, ($3)

No Aces were hit, but there were some very exciting runs on 4,5 and 6.

The CTP was placed on hole 3. Matt took it and kept it on round 1. He went home with that Nuke.

So, the moral of the story is, "Always show up, don't worry about the weather... it's not a problem."

Remember to reserve November 1st! This is the final night of league and will be our League Party and a glow game. We'll have the shelter reserved for a cookout and all the baskets will be lit. Plan on bringing a little extra money so you can put some blinking LED's on your discs, I'll have them for sale cheap.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 am

Just a proactive reminder that tomorrow is Thursday and another round for the Beginners' League. We have some new product in the CTP box and we'll continue the use of the special hole location for league.
Remember, the weather leaves the Beginners' League alone and we've never been rained out - even when the rest of the county is drenched. :lol:

See you there at 5ish.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:05 pm

GAME 24

Another night of great weather and fun disc golf. We got another chance, by popular request, to run random doubles.

Here's the breakdown:

7 players - random draw doubles (odd man plays "cali")

The league balance was $164.68
I purchased a roll of "Caution Tape" to provide some safety in areas where we have trouble with other park visitors wandering into our line of fire. Cost = $5.91
Fees paid of $35
$21 towards payouts
$7 towards prizes and expenses
$7 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $29.77 / Party = $143 Total = $172.77

Here's the breakdown

Team, Place, Payout
Matt Grogan and Travis Williams, 53, 1st, $21
David Meyr and Don Rush, 64, 4th, -
Cassidy Thomas and John Renteria, 59, 3rd, -
Daniel Doss and... aww, Daniel was all alone and had to play Cali, 57, 2nd, -

No Aces were hit, but Don (I believe) had a bounce off the rim on 3. Better luck next time.

The CTP was placed on hole 9. Matt had it on round 1 but Daniel came and scooped it up on the last hole of the night.

Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Ahoy land-lubbers!
Shiver me timmmberrrs, if it isn't time for another night of league.
I be wantin' to get the message out earrrly again this week, especially fer the chance to post befer International Talk Like a Piiirrrate Day is overrr.

LED's arrrr nowww in stock ye scurvy dogs! You're definitely gonna want ta gets yer grrrubby mits on these.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby legendarydave on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Well poop in my beer! My gf is not feeling well so we BOTH won't be making it out for beginner's league... I'll drag her out there one of these weeks so I can suffer the embarrassment of her out-driving me!
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 am

GAME 25

Beautiful night last night. Temperatures so mild you'd really have to work hard to break a sweat, yet t-shirts and shorts felt right at home. Even the wind was barely existent.

A special thanks to Matt G. for donating yet another disc to the prize box, a Supercolor "Red, White and Blue" event stamped Buzzz (172g). That should be a great disc as it's a little domier and has a lower parting line height than any Buzzz I've ever seen. Thanks Matt.

Here's the breakdown:

3 players - singles

The league balance was $172.77
One disc was purchased for the CTP box at $16
Fees paid of $15
$9 towards payouts
$3 towards prizes and expenses
$3 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $16.77 / Party = $146 Total = $162.77

Here's the breakdown:

We ended up with only 1 division amongst these three players, who have been playing 7mo's, 1yr 7mo's and just under 3 yr's. Not bad, proof that there's hope for us all.

Daniel Doss, 56, 1st, $9
Matt Grogan, 58, 2nd, -
Karl Schute, 61, 3rd, -

No Aces were hit, Matt had a scary close run on a couple of them... but close doesn't count.

The CTP was placed on hole 6 (after changing our minds about putting it on 7). Daniel ended up taking it... but Karl would have had it on 7 if he'd not been so willing to change it to 6. Sorry.

The LED's are in stock now. Here's how I'm going to handle them. I'm paying for them out of the Party fund (which I'll recalculate next week after I pay the invoice for them) and that means If you've played 6 or more league games, you can have 4 of them for free. If you've played between 3 and 5 games, you can have 2 for free. Beyond that, they're selling 2 for $3 to league players (when paying your $5 fee and playing the league).

Remember to reserve November 1st! This is the final night of league and will be our League Party and a glow game. We'll have the shelter reserved for a cookout and all the baskets will be lit.[/quote]
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.