New Look for Mobile Users

ask questions, get answers, & find info about the RCF website/forums

If you use a Phone/Mobile to use the Forums, do you like the new "Mobile View"?

yes: keep it as the default
100%
sort-of: i switch to the "full version" for some browsing, but also use the "mobile version"
No votes
no: i'd rather it was uninstalled/deactivated
No votes

Total votes : 1

New Look for Mobile Users

Postby fairweather_fan on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:39 pm

if you use a mobile device to check out or post in our forums, you've probably noticed the change in the look and layout of the forums. i've installed a "style" that auto-detects whether a mobile device is being used and should make it easier and quicker to read, post, access and load our forums on mobile devices. thanks go to forum user pjohnmeyer for pointing me in the right direction.

for those who don't like the mobile look, you can always click the "full version" link at the bottom of any forum page to automatically load the full/normal version of the forums. if anyone using a mobile doesn't get auto-detected (ie- you still see the "normal" forum view from your phone or other mobile), please let me know what device you use.

i'll be testing it out a little bit this afternoon on an iPad, but i'd appreciate any phone users letting me know what you think of the look and usability of the new forum style!

thanks
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Re: New Look for Mobile Users

Postby Tuesday Terry on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I use a Sprint Evo Shift and it looks good to me. Loads pretty quickly and easy to manuver around. Great job, Ted!
You don't quit playing games because you get old.

You get old because you quit playing games.
RCF Tag #337
Tuesday Terry
Bogey Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:08 pm

That's awesome to hear, Terry- thanks for the quick feedback. I'm hoping it keeps working smoothly...if anything gets funky or doesn't seem to work as it should or you'd want, post it up here and we'll take a look at it.

thanks for posting!
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby Tuesday Terry on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:14 pm

No problem at all, Ted. I will do whatever I can to help on here.
You don't quit playing games because you get old.

You get old because you quit playing games.
RCF Tag #337
Tuesday Terry
Bogey Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm posting now from an iPad. things seem to look and work fine for the most part. I'll put up a longer post tonight or tomorrow pointing out some issues that have been found and try to give some tips for usage.

Again, if you don't like the mobile view, just click "full version" at the bottom of any screen or page.

Thanks!
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby fairweather_fan on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:55 am

yo. after poking around the "mobile view" with an iPad and hearing from a few phone users, i thought i'd put together a little post to point out some 'bugs' and give some tips for navigation.

bugs:
1) in mobile view when you are viewing the list of threads in a forum and want to go to a specific page of a multi-page thread, clicking/pushing the 'page number' buttons seems to take you to the first page of the thread, no matter which number you click. eg- you're looking at this forum and want to go to the 3rd page of the "2012 website & forum changes" thread. pushing the "3" next to the thread title takes you to the 1st page of the thread.
WORKAROUND: to get around this, just open the thread and use the hashtag/pound sign button (#) in the upper or lower right to navigate to a specific page of a thread

2) the up-arrow button in the upper left, which should give a drop-down list of forums to help navigate, seems a bit buggy and only works intermittently.
WORKAROUND: use the "board index" link at the bottom of any screen to return to the main forum listing and you can navigate from there.

tips:
1) again, if you don't like the mobile view, simply click the "full version" link @ the bottom of any page/screen. to return to the mobile view from the normal view, click the "mobile version" link
2) use the 'magnifying glass' button for a drop down menu of search options
3) click the cog wheel in the upper right corner to log in/out, go to your user control panel, check PMs, etc.
4) use the hashtag/pound sign buttons in the upper and lower right to navigate multi-page threads and forums

that's all i've got right now...if others find bugs/issues or have tips for getting around and posting in the mobile view, please post them here!

thanks
ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:30 pm

I'm pretty pleased with how this looks on my iPhone. Does everything I want to do on mobile, and more cleanly.

Thanks!
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 pm

glad to hear it's looking good, pj! don't hesitate to post if you find anything on the mobile view that isn't working how it should, or any tips or tricks you have for our other mobile/phone users.

ted
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Return to Website/Message Board Info and Q & A