Course ideas

Maintenance, Improvements, Design, and Other Misc. Course Topics

Re: Course ideas

Postby Robbins on Mon May 25, 2009 10:24 am

Working Stiff wrote:This is the same idea, just less dramatic.

This picture is from Tyler State Park in PA, and they put that fixture on a downward slope. Even when you get some basket you can still be punished.
Sometimes I wonder why the Frisbee is getting bigger...and then it hits me.
Robbins
Bogey Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon May 25, 2009 10:21 pm

forehand wrote:
STARFIRE wrote:The course at Arnold Park is almost completely flat so I want to incorporate at least one elevated basket.

Any ideas on artificial elevation?

I seen a basket one time that was built up on railroad ties, you had to take two or three steps up to get your disc out.

I just need to know how to construct something like this...

Bowling Green,KY Phil Moore Park Hole #9

I think the example provided by forehand here, for anyone who has played Phil Moore Park in B.G., is a perfect example of an elevated basket that adding NOTHING to the course, it just made a boring hole even MORE boring!! The hole in question was around 350 ft., slightly uphill, & because of the elevated basket, NO ONE even thought of running a long putt at it, everyone on our card simply layed up to the base & dropped their par putt in, or should a say tossed their par putt up & in! Elevated baskets might seem like a cool idea, but a lot of times they don't really add much!! I guess in the end I'm more in favor of the target being a STANDARDIZED height rather than being played around with, but I guess that's just ME!! :roll:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Tue May 26, 2009 12:39 pm

I can't say that I'm a big fan of the elevated baskets or hanging baskets either. They may look cool, but I agree that having one would cause almost everybody to just lay up for their putt instead of running at it. Personally I like the natural look, and am not a huge fan of manmade obstacles on holes. I understand the land available may not be ideal for some exciting holes, but if you play with things too much it turns into a big gimmick. Next think you know we'll all be throwing putts through a giant windmill.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Tue May 26, 2009 1:32 pm

It's kind-of either-or. Whenever you start talking about man-made obstacles the "putt-putt disc golf" analogy comes around. I'm against using "tricks" when the natural landscape is already there. However, I would be in favor of some man-made obstacles at Creve Coeur. Right now the only reaction that course design has made to the flat, mostly open layout is to make the holes longer. It makes that layout pretty repetitive, especially on the front 9. Some man-made structures would at least provide some variety.

So far as making the holes boring, the same could be said in some ways about Unger. On some of the Unger holes the water OB factor was far too high and all of us were just trying to play it safe. I guess the difference with Unger was that I still threw a few in the lake even with trying to play it safe. :oops: When you raise the difficulty level of a hole, you are going to force some of us to play more conservatively. I'm not sure that is a legitimate reason not to try to make a hole more challenging.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby clanger on Tue May 26, 2009 3:25 pm

I agree with the basket staying at the same height off the ground. There has to be some sort of standard for a pro course. A hanging basket is OK as long as its the standard height off the ground. It just doesnt have a base.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby emoney on Tue May 26, 2009 5:39 pm

i also agree bout the hanging baskets. also it gives a little more challenge as well because of wind factor. the elevated shot maybe on one hole to give it diversity, and of coarse not too high.
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Tue May 26, 2009 7:04 pm

I didn't intend on building these structures for all 9 holes. It was just an "escape" from the flatness. I don't want people to think disc golf is just throwing a frisbee in a straight line to the target with no obstacles or elevation. If Creve Coeur was the first course you played, you probably wouldn't be interested after throwing over and over, into flat, wide open ground. There is challenge at Creve but if you can't throw far it's not fun.

I never want to see disc golf become like miniature golf with stupid obstacles to go through or bounce off of. That just seems ridiculous. I do want to see new courses with new ideas, though.

The sport, and the course design aspect of the sport, are always evolving and you will see more ideas similar to these.

When you have just a small amount of land, how do you make the course more challenging?
There's no water, barely any woods and it's very flat.

Create OB's, mandos and artificial elevation! That's how....

Every course has to have that one hole that keeps you coming back for more.
Even though a lot of people seem to dislike the idea, I'm confident after they play it, it will be their new "favorite" hole.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby Calvin on Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am

Seriously, I don't think the elevation change is a valid argument for not having a hanging basket or an elevated basket. This game, just like every other, is based on risk and reward. There are plenty of holes already in use on our championship courses that bring elevation into play. If your approach on hole 11B at JB goes long, you've got a really tough uphill putt. While the basket itself may be a standard height off the ground, the point is basically moot because you are so far below the post to begin with. By the way, people simply lay up on that hole ALL THE TIME, regardless of whether they're below or above the hole. The reason they do that is because they believe the risk doesn't justify the reward. There are other players who disagree, and will run a putt at it. I agree with STARFIRE that the point of an elevated or hanging basket is to show something new. Besides, who ever said that this course would replace one of the four courses currently used for the top tournaments?

Some of the most exciting, and frightening, holes I've ever played are the ones where the basket was on a peninsula, or down a steep ravine, or whatever. Force yourself to get better.
Everybody just cool out.

Tag #45
Calvin
Bogey Poster

Postby emoney on Wed May 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Some of the most exciting, and frightening, holes I've ever played are the ones where the basket was on a peninsula, or down a steep ravine, or whatever. Force yourself to get better.

Couldn't have said it better. We also don't have one obstacle like that in or around St. Louis. I don't travel much out of town to ever get to see much else thats out there. This would be a good chance to see what other coarses are offering.

And just think about Blue bird. If you go for it you roll down the freakin hill if no chains etc. If you miss with these suggested obstacles or different shots you just have another putt instead of another up hill shot that you will probably play safe cuz yopu don't want to go down again.

Disc up STARFIRE
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Previous

Return to General Course Chat