Unger Fundraiser RESCHEDULED

Topics for tracking our St. Louis area course maintenance projects as well as individual course hours.

Unger Fundraiser RESCHEDULED

Postby irwinje on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Unger is flooded again, event will be RESCHEDULED!
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

UNGER DISSAPOINTMENT

Postby dischead on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:17 am

I just read yestereday the unger fundraiser was moved to j b, made plans with several people now it says rescheduled . Also several of us have been picking up junk at unger for the last two weeks and havent seen anyone else . It was resently posted if everyone picked up a little we would have it nice in no time. What a waste. At this point all it needs is the fairways cut and some players stomping down tne ruff. Go back and read the thoughts about unger after playing it. Outside of the lake eating disc its the bomb. Ron said it makes you a better player. We have been suggesting and looking for posted work days . sure its nice to go play instead of work but damn . Maybe bring a one of thoses kegs of beer down there for the workers, use the one we didnt have at the endi open that alot of poeple wished we would have had that day.Sorry about the negative attitude were just dissapointed. SOMEONE PLEASE POST A WORK DAY FOR UNGER LETS DO IT AFTER THE WATER GOES DOWN ANYWAY
dischead
Bogey Poster

Re: Unger Fundraiser RESCHEDULED

Postby clanger on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Doesn't this make about 5 weeks now so far this year that Unger has been closed? At this rate Unger could be closed up to 2 months of the year. Thats only when they close the gate. When they open the gate is it playable right away or do you still need to wait a couple of days for the water to go down more? Is it possible to do some tweaking to the course to allow for quicker play when they do open the gate?

Ron is correct. Playing Unger WILL make you a much better player. An extremely high risk/reward course. Although the accurate long arms still have a huge advantage, this course even makes them think twice about scaling down on the disc or backing off on the power. Not to mention all the little trick shots you will ultimately master getting out of the rough to get up and down to save par. UNGER MANAGEMENT.

Beer at the Endi Open. Not sure why we did not have a keg. It's something that has to be picked up and then the empty returned so it's quite possible that your volunteers just did not have time to deal with it. Personally I don't mind anyone drinking and having a good time playing golf with their buds. As a TD, and I've voiced my concern at the board meetings, I have a problem furnishing beer to people who are going to get in their cars and drive. If everyone drank only like 3 beers it would be OK but there is always a handful of people who will drink as much free beer as they can get before it runs out. So, potentially with my name down as the TD giving out free beer and someone crashes after they leave my tourny, I could be liable. I'm not a bartender nor do I want to spend the day monitoring a bunch of grown men and babysit a keg. I wouldn't have the time anyways. So I've come to the conclusion that if you see my name down as the TD there will NOT be free beer at the event.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:32 pm

In an abstract sort of way the design at Unger doesn't bother me. I've lost too much plastic there for me to be really happy with it, but it is a tough design with water so lost disc are just part of the deal.

What bothers me about Unger is you have a Championship design in a place that you can't use for your Championship event. Unless the Open date is moved back to the fall, there is no way you can depend on Unger being available. Even at that, there are no amenities there so you would have to pay for things like water and Johnny-On-The-Spots to use it. So you end up with a great course and no way to show it off.

Add to that the amount of time it is underwater and closed, and it starts to make you scratch your head. I'd love to have a course in town that would be regarded as one of the best in the nation like Sioux was when it opened, but Unger Park has so many down sides it makes me wonder if we are just setting ourselves up for constant frustration by having a Championship course there. It would seem to me that there is at least room to discuss moving the course away from the water so it will not flood as easily. Doing this will hurt the challenge of the course I'm sure, but in a "big picture" sort of way it makes some sense. Cleaning up after a flood twice a year for, well, forever doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Plus, who put all the fish on the basket? That was gross!

I know it's going to be the worst received opinion I've had (and I've had a lot of poorly received opinions over the years) but I think the course needs to be moved away from the water. It has nothing with wanting the course to be easier, becasue I really wish the current design would work out. I just don't think it will, and the course will be an ongoing problem until it is redesigned.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby clanger on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 am

This will be a topic at the next club meeting.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby listen4chains on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:43 pm

I have to agree with STIFF, that course is not worth the hassle as it is now, end of story. Nothing will change that, either, unless we suffer severe drought for the next eon, and we don't want that! So, if the course won't work as designed now, REDESIGN IT, and avoid the waterfront. That is just logical.
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby mkane on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 am

I think it would be easier to put that course in during the winter months and take out the baskets and move them to a better location in the summer months. Perpetual cleanup of a flood magnitude is going to ruin those baskets.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 am

I have a suggestion although I'm sure it won't liked by many except those in my neck of the woods. Move the baskets to a different park. There is a park located out west that is begging for a set of 18 baskets. It is the largest park in the county system at 603 acres. Below is a link to the website.

http://parks.sccmo.org/parks/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=22

I think it is obvious that something needs to be done with Unger. I have never played the course, so I don't know what options are available. My main problem with this park is that when it is flooded the park is completely closed. It's not like one or two holes are flooded, but you could still play the others. When it floods you can't play any holes. And there isn't even a bathroom or shelter? We can do better then that...
magic
Ace Poster

Postby tyler23 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 pm

I was there last week they had a Johnny on the spot and there is a pretty big shelter well when the water level goes up it only impacts 5 holes but at one point it was half the course. It is my favorite course and it is close to my house. I wouldnt mind a redesign though.
Tag #2
tyler23
Par Poster

Postby HITMAN on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:23 pm

magic wrote:I have a suggestion although I'm sure it won't liked by many except those in my neck of the woods. Move the baskets to a different park. There is a park located out west that is begging for a set of 18 baskets. It is the largest park in the county system at 603 acres. Below is a link to the website.

http://parks.sccmo.org/parks/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=22

I think it is obvious that something needs to be done with Unger. I have never played the course, so I don't know what options are available. My main problem with this park is that when it is flooded the park is completely closed. It's not like one or two holes are flooded, but you could still play the others. When it floods you can't play any holes. And there isn't even a bathroom or shelter? We can do better then that...

Andy, your not missing anything by not playing Unger exept half your discs.Ron,its true Unger will make you a better player but no more than any other course. practice makes you better not thowing a disc two feet from the pin and being OB. Im still trying to figure out why baskets were set right on the water when every one involed in the design new it was in a flood zone. I think its time to cut our losses i'd hate to see any more time or money wasted on this course. a redesign is no good if the course is closed every time it rains.
HITMAN
Par Poster

Next

Return to Maintenance of our St. Louis Area Courses