2nd Annual City of St. Louis Open - August 16 (Sat), 2014

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

2nd Annual City of St. Louis Open - August 16 (Sat), 2014

Postby discdoh on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Here is the flyer for the next club event...

Please realize that there are 2 events at Willmore Park DGC in the next month. There is the non-PDGA sanctioned Gateway Disc Sports sponsored "City of Saint Louis Championships" this coming weekend (7/26) and the St. Louis Disc Golf Club sponsored "PDGA C-Tier 2nd Annual City of Saint Louis Open" on this date (8/16). Sorry for the confusion!

With any luck, the city concrete contractor will have taken care of the new concrete teepads and we will get to break them in! Willmore Park DGC has quickly become one of the most popular courses in the area and this is only going to make it better! UPDATE - THE CONCRETE TEEPADS ARE IN!

In the coming weeks Matt and I will be canvassing some of the local businesses to hopefully drum up some extra CTP donations to add to the normal gamut of STLDGC, ZANFEL, GATEWAY DISC SPORTS, and SCHLAFLY CTPs! The course should be loaded up with plenty of chances to win some killer goodies! UPDATE - Quincy Street Bistro, Pint Size Bakery, and Civil Life Brewing Company have joined the ranks! Thank you Matt! More to come!!

If you would like to officially pre-register and guarantee your spot, please visit The Disc Golf Scene to pay ahead of time - http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/2nd_Annual_City_of_St_Louis_Open_2014

Any spots that are not reserved ahead of time will be filled on a first come first served basis the morning of the tournament, so make sure you get there early enough to reserve one of the vacant spots (if there are any). We will NOT be reserving any spots via verbal commitments, etc...the only way to 100% guarantee your spot is to pay ahead of time.

discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: 2nd Annual City of St. Louis Open - August 16 (Sat), 201

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:33 am

Let me add more confusion.....this tournament is unfortunately the same day as the White Birch Classic..... :roll:.....which I will post all the info on real soon.
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 am

jeffthrow6892 wrote:Let me add more confusion.....this tournament is unfortunately the same day as the White Birch Classic..... :roll:.....which I will post all the info on real soon.

And I know that the STL Club board isn't exactly tickled about - we always try to avoid booking on top of another event. When the schedule for this stuff was being written, we didn't have anything else showing up on that date. By the time we did know about the White Birch Classic, we already had the permits from St. Louis City (part of our agreement with them for free shelter rental requires any reservation for the same calendar year to be made by Jan 2.) When we noticed the conflict, there were no other acceptable dates available for shelters at Willmore. We even discussed it at the meeting last Monday and, even though everyone felt bad, realized there wasn't anything else we could do about it this year.

This kind of thing is bound to happen and bound to become more frequent as Disc Golf continues to grow in popularity and as more courses are installed. :(
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 am

After a little confusion was cleared up between the State Coordinator and the PDGA, I finally got the approval from the State Coordinator for the PDGA sanctioning. I should have all of the proper passwords from the PDGA for setting up the online registration later today and it should go live shortly after I get home from work. Thank you for your patience!

UPDATE

Here is the link to the online registration at The Disc Golf Scene - http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/2nd_Annual_City_of_St_Louis_Open_2014
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 am

Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am

Thought I would mention that all STLDGC board members and course captains will accept cash payment for this tournament as well. If you see one of them while you are out playing, hit them up and get registered.

Pint Size Bakery and Quincy Street Bistro are on the CTP sponsor list! More to come...

There will be a custom stamped round winner disc for the second round as well! If more than one division is represented on a card, all divisions will compete for their own round winner disc!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 pm

From an earlier post:

With any luck, the city concrete contractor will have taken care of the new concrete teepads and we will get to break them in! Willmore Park DGC has quickly become one of the most popular courses in the area and this is only going to make it better! UPDATE - THE CONCRETE TEEPADS ARE IN!

In the coming weeks Matt and I will be canvassing some of the local businesses to hopefully drum up some extra CTP donations to add to the normal gamut of STLDGC, ZANFEL, GATEWAY DISC SPORTS, and SCHLAFLY CTPs! The course should be loaded up with plenty of chances to win some killer goodies! UPDATE - Quincy Street Bistro, Pint Size Bakery, and Civil Life Brewing Company have joined the ranks! Thank you Matt! More to come!!

+ 2nd round card winner discs - custom stamped
+ Practice Basket Madness - hmmm...what?
+ more to come!

If you would like to officially pre-register and guarantee your spot, please visit The Disc Golf Scene to pay ahead of time - http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/2nd_Annual_City_of_St_Louis_Open_2014
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:26 pm

UPDATE

Just a couple of additional tidbits for the tournament coming up next weekend:

- Matt Augustin has been hitting the streets hard! He is fairly confident that there will be a CTP flag on every hole! You heard that right...there will be 18+ CTP flags to be had! Obviously every hole is not ideal for a 1st shot CTP, so I will be mixing in some 2nd shot CTPs and possibly some divisional CTPs and longest putt flags as well. Also, don't forget that there will be 2 CASH CTPs each round on the shortest holes. If the field fills and 75% of the field buys in to the CASH CTPs, they will be worth over $75/each!

- all juniors that enter will receive a complimentary custom stamped disc as part of their players pack!

- there is a good possibility that there will be an extremely affordable lunch option on site (I will know for sure by Wednesday morning). There is also a plethora of delicious food options just outside the park, so you should be able to take your pick of how you want to fuel up for the second round.

- there will be brand new temporary tee signs (permanent coming soon) on every hole to accompany the brand new teepads, brand new pin positions and brand new scorecards! I even heard some rumors that there will be umbrella holders (like JB) and brooms at every teepad. Willmore Park DGC is really starting to look more and more like a world class disc golf facility located inside the city limits!

- I am going to maximize the payouts as best I can. As it stands right now, there are very few deductions that need to be calculated into the entry fees (PDGA and STLDGC fees are less than $5), so we are looking good!

Don't miss out! Sign up ASAP to ensure your spot!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:27 pm

Here is a picture of what the Player's Pack stash mini set (everyone gets one) and the round winner discs (2nd round) look like...

All juniors get a disc no matter what! There will be an equal amount of brand new run Chiefs and Shamans to pick from...

discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Lazerface on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 am

NICE! Glad to see that original Willmore Stamp being used. It is timeless. Thank you Greg and Matt and all others working hard to make this a memorable event. As long as the babysitter holds up I will be there.

I'm just going to throw this out there. Willmore has so much potential on several holes to be stretched out. Some positions are not so good/safe for daily play but would be perfect for a PDGA tourney even is you don't have sleeves and have to throw out a temp basket or two. Some holes in particular would be 8 up close to where the sidewalks meet. 11 way back on the peninsula. 13 longer left to avoid the new easy righty hyzer. 4 can now be moved deeper and left with possible par 4 length. I know some of these are potentially dangerous for pedestrian traffic but in a controlled tournament setting it would not be a problem. Just something to think about for future tournaments if not this one.
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments