The Valentine Massacre - Saturday, 2/15/2014

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

The Valentine Massacre - Saturday, 2/15/2014

Postby discdoh on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:02 pm

One of my favorite events of the year is less than a month away!

This year we will be designing the course layout with the number of the beast in mind...666! There will be 6 double-mando holes, 6 special feature holes, and 6 standard holes for each round. The layout the last couple of years proved to be a little too challenging to get everything in, so more than likely the 6 special feature and 6 standard holes will feature shorter basket positions. The 6 double-mando holes, however, will probably give you everything that you can handle! I would expect some of the special feature holes to repeat some favorites from years past (i.e. hanging baskets, island holes, painted OB, etc.) and also incorporate some new ideas. It should prove to be a ton of fun as always!

A couple of old dogs will be TDing this event - Greg D'OHogne and Mark Dudenhoeffer - so you know that you can expect everything to run smooth as silk! ;)

I will post more details about the course layout and CTPs as the info become available...

Ace Poster

Re: The Valentine Massacre - Saturday, 2/15/2014

Postby MADDISC on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:22 pm

I will be out trying to set this course up sometime after work on tuesday wednesday and thursday.
Hopefully I have it all done by friday. If anyone would like to help set up some mandos and some Island greens let me know.
We will also have at least 1 hanging basket.
I will usually be there around 330 or 4 after work.

314-713-8640
Maddisc
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby brendoncraig on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Do I need to sign up before the event or do I sign up that day when I get there?
brendoncraig

Postby discdoh on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:52 pm

Just sign up when you get there. Unless it is 60+ degrees outside, we probably will not have a completely full field. I do expect there to be a good turnout, just not 90+ people. If by some crazy occurrence we do fill the field and there are still people waiting to sign in, we will add an extra hole to accommodate...

Stay tuned throughout this week, as I will be adding more details about the layout, CTPs, etc. ;) There is a good chance that there still might be snow on the ground, so it is looking more and more likely that there will not be a whole bunch of added/painted OB. Any added OB will need to be flagged off every foot or so instead of painted on the ground. That said, there will still be plenty of opportunities to wreck your round throughout the course...it is a massacre after all! :twisted:
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Here is the layout...

There is not going to be any painted OB this year due to the existing snow and the potential for more snow accumulating throughout the rest of today. The course is also a bit shorter than in previous years, so you will have your chances to make some birdies and get back a few strokes. If you can avoid missing all of the mandos, a low score is certainly possible!

I believe that Mark is going to be cooking up some hot dogs and whatnot for the lunch break, so we will be planning on taking as short of an intermission between rounds as possible. Bring a couple of extra bucks and you should get plenty of food to make it through the day. Schlafly has donated 3 cases of beer, so everyone should be able to grab a tasty brew to wash it down as well!

Don't forget that this time of year requires an early start to get 2 rounds in, so set the alarm clock and we will see you in the morning!

Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Here is the CTP list...

If you have anything that you would like to donate for a CTP, let me know and I will get a nice custom CTP flag made up for you. Maybe that Valentine's Day gift that your significant other so callously threw on the floor will make a nice CTP and get some use after all! :P

Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Joe Bryson and The Jefferson County Sharpshooters have joined in on the CTP action! There will be a sweet "End of the World" Buzzz courtesy of Joe and a JCS stamped Destroyer up for grabs. I'll let them pick out there favorite hole (of the ones remaining) tomorrow morning...

Here is an update pic of my progress on "arts & crafts time"...

Every card will get a nice laminated copy of the layout for use during the rounds. Whomever keeps the card at the end can then use it for an emergency scorecard or mini whiteboard in the future...just stash it in your bag somewhere!

All of the CTPs are laminated, so make sure you get a Sharpie in your bag!

There will also be HotHands for sale - $1 per 2-Pack. I hope I bought enough!

Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Here are the results...

I do believe that some blood was left on the course...MANY people went down on the ice! It was truly a test of wills and skills! Congratulations to everyone that made it out and survived the day!

2014 Valentine Massacre-page-003.jpg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments