California Monthly Series presented by Gateway Disc Sports

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

California Monthly Series presented by Gateway Disc Sports

Postby discdoh on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am

Dave has decided to start up a new monthly series this year!

Have you ever told yourself that you could start winning some events if you could just have a mulligan here and there? Well, your chance has just arrived! The Gateway Disc Sports California Monthly Series will allow every player to get an extra shot on every hole - California style. This format should level the playing field quite a bit, while at the same time bring in a whole new level of strategy. It should prove to be quite fun and challenging!

Dave will be bringing in product from all of the various manufacturers for the AM payouts, so everyone should be able to pick out exactly what they are looking for. You will also be allowed to build up your stash of winnings from various events to work your ways towards bigger purchases (i.e. bags, baskets, etc.). Long gone are the days of Gateway events only offering Gateway products!

These events will offer a SUPER option for all divisions. The SUPER option will be a separate payout from the normal payouts for everyone that buys in. This was an option that was offered at most local events up until about 10 years ago, and Dave is looking to get the tradition started back up. If you are looking to up the ante, this will be your chance to do so.

The ACE POOL will also be a big feature of these events. Dave has decided that ALL Gateway events will have a traveling ACE POOL. This means that the ACE POOLS from all of the various Gateway leagues will be combined and offered up at EVERY event that Gateway puts on (leagues/monthlies/tournaments/PDGA events). Right now, the Willmore Wednesday ACE POOLS are at $499 and $167, the Carrollton Handicap Singles ACE POOL is at $180, and the Dunegant Doubles ACE POOL is at $135...so until someone hits an ACE during a league/tournament, there will be $500 up for grabs at every event with a second $500 ACE POOL ready to go for the next event! Note: Only your first shot off of the tee will count towards the ACE POOL. This will hopefully discourage players from disregarding proper strategy in favor of taking pot shots at the ACE POOL.

As usual, there will also be the full gamut of CTPs (FREE) and 50/50s ($3 buy-in), so there will be plenty of opportunities to increase your winnings!

discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: California Monthly Series presented by Gateway Disc Spor

Postby discdoh on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 am

Here is the info for the first event this coming Sunday...

Time to get your Willmore on!

Can you say $500 ACE POOL?

California January Event #1.jpg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 pm

UPDATE

Dave has decided to adjust the entry fee structure a bit. The ACE POOL and 50/50s are now INCLUDED in your $10 entry fee. This will obviously affect the payouts for the individuals that only get in for $10. It will not affect the payouts for the SUPER participants, however, so if you are looking to maximize your winning potential you will definitely won't want to miss out...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:40 am

The SUPER option is a separate payout for each division. There will be the regular payout for each division that is included with the $10 entry fee. There is also the SUPER payout for each division that is only for the players that pay into it. So technically you have the chance to win 2 separate payouts in each division if you buy in to everything.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Here is the attendance list that will be updated after each event...

As I explained yesterday, attendance at multiple events will increase your chances at winning some extra loot at the end of the year...there will be a raffle drawing with some sweet swag from all of the various sponsors. For your first event, you will receive 1 raffle ticket. For your second event, you will receive 2 raffle tickets. For your third event, you will receive 3 raffle tickets....etc. I will personally be overseeing the raffle preparations, so rest assured that everything will be shenanigan free!

GDS Monthly Series - Raffle Attendance #3_Page_1.jpg
GDS Monthly Series - Raffle Attendance #3_Page_2.jpg
GDS Monthly Series - Raffle Attendance #3_Page_3.jpg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Here are the results from yesterday...

Rob Nahlik hit an ACE on his first shot on Hole 6! The Pint Size hole finally gave up some ACE winnings! For his efforts, Rob will be taking home $499 from Dave McCormack's wallet...sorry Dave! Karl Kulaitis also hit an ACE on Hole 6, but it was unfortunately on his second shot. For his efforts, he will get to pick out any Wizard of his choosing...sorry Karl!

Have no fear, however, as there is another $499 ACE POOL ready to go. Here is where we stand with the traveling ACE POOLS:

#1 - $499
#2 - $114

I believe that everything went extremely well for the first installment of the Monthly California Series. After talking with Dave and Justin at the shop, some of the finer details involved with California style play will be outlined before the next event. Some of the refinements will revolve around the proper order of play when using your California shot and some other minor details...stay tuned.

If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to post them here. ;)

Monthly Series #1 Willmore Results_Page_1.jpg
Monthly Series #1 Willmore Results_Page_2.jpg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Here is the info for the next event in the series...

See you all at Creve Coeur Lake!

GDS Monthly #2 - Creve Coeur.jpg
GDS Monthly Series - Creve Coeur - 2-16-14_Page_1.jpg
GDS Monthly Series - Creve Coeur - 2-16-14_Page_2.jpg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:02 pm

I had a great time at this tournament! Cali golf is my favorite form of casual disc golf.

Over the years of playing this format, a more competitive twist has been added that rewards a better round over the 'cali' round. It also changes the strategy. That is, we added a point system to break ties. Points are given if you do not use your cali shot (marked with a dot by your score). In the event of a tie score at the end of the round, the person with the most dots wins low tag, payout, etc.

Yesterday, Landon Bond started off very hot and did not throw a cali shot in the first 4 holes. I started keeping track. His game fluctuated after that but ended up fairly strong. I think he had 9 points at the end which far outweighed mine and Clifford's points total. He tied for first place with two others in Rec division and split the winnings three ways. Had there been a point system in place, Landon might have taken first place outright.

The strategy shifts from 'running a shot' that the odds of hitting the basket are minimal at best (but possible) to saving the cali shot until you are nearer the basket (when your odds of making the first shot are better). I might add that using your cali to lower your score is better than running up points since points only matter to break ties.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby bean928 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm

I also had a great time even though I played not as good as I like. Robs ace was the perfect shot dropped right in. He deserves it. Also when I play Cali with my friends usually you decide to use your Cali right after your shot but I think for flow purposes it would be quicker to just go through the order then do Cali's in the same order. But that's up to you guys just giving my two cents
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby BThayer on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Quick question, I was unaware that my CTP made it through the round, is there still a chance I can claim my reward?
BThayer

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments