2014 Vibram Birdie Bash possibility

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

2014 Vibram Birdie Bash possibility

Postby Geo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:01 am

So upon talking with the gentleman who ran the birdie bash last year in Lebanon and the Willmore course captain I was thinking of running a 2014 Birdie Bash at Willmore. Of course thinking all proceeds would go straight to the club. Event registration begins in December with the events occuring in either March, April, or May.

I don't want to plan on top of anybody's elses events so thoughts on a date? Or comments in general?

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/birdie-bash.html
Geo
Bogey Poster

Re: 2014 Vibram Birdie Bash possibility

Postby Genn on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:36 am

I've talked a little with some folks in the St. Charles club about a Birdie Bash as well, likely at Quail Ridge or possibly ICC. My concern about courses like Willmore (and ICC), is they have a fair amount of holes which are pretty long, which would heavily favor bigger arms. Better players are more likely to win the even anyway, but I think it's important for something like this that even the casual player feels like they have a shot to at least hit metal on their birdie try on as many holes as possible. Temp tees can always be set up, though, regardless of the course.
Genn
Bogey Poster

Postby Geo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:24 am

I thought of that as well, maybe a few short tees are needed. That will require discussion with the course captain. The way the rules are set up the second round stil has prizes and the groups are divided into more equal scores.

The problem I forsee with us is vibram allowing two events so close to one another. I am waiting on hearing back from Steven Dodge with Vibram on that front.
Geo
Bogey Poster

Postby Geo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Upon talking to Steven Dodge there is no rule regarding proximity of events. So we are good to go along those lines.
Geo
Bogey Poster

Postby mason on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Besides the Discraft Ace Race are there any other disc makers that sponsor these types of events?
mason
Bogey Poster

Postby Geo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Not that I personally know of.

On the topic though, does anybody have any opinions on what weekends would be good?
Geo
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:43 pm

There is a club meeting this evening at The Sport's Cafe in Bridgeton. The #1 topic will be finalizing the schedule. I have heard from the JCS Sharpshooters and the St. Charles County Disc Golf Club concerning their schedules, so the only clubs/entities that remain are the Southern Illinois Chain Gang, PinHigh Discs, Hazelwood Parks & Recreation, and Gateway Disc Sports. I will have the preliminary/tentative schedule posted in the next week hopefully. Send me a PM with your email and I will let you in a bit earlier if you would like.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Geo on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:31 am

I am thinking May 3rd at Willmore, thoughts? Looking at the calendar that day has no other events scheduled. I haven't heard back from the course captain in awhile.
Geo
Bogey Poster

Postby Genn on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Any more thoughts on this, Geo? I'd love to play in a VBB, but the closest one to me is in Jefferson City. I'm much rather play in one in the St. Louis area.
Genn
Bogey Poster

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments