The 23rd Annual Turkey Toss - FRIDAY - 11/29/2013

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

The 23rd Annual Turkey Toss - FRIDAY - 11/29/2013

Postby discdoh on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:17 am

You may have already seen the flyers up around town, but for some reason I forgot to get it posted on the forums until now...

A few changes have been made to the format. First and foremost, we are going with a 27-Hole 1-Round format. This will allow us to max out at 135 people instead of 90. Last year we had to turn some people away, and that just isn't cool! :o

The 1-Round format allows us to start an hour later and we should definitely finish with plenty of light this time around. I am sure the tournament staff and parks department will be a lot happier about that!

Since we are only playing 1 round, we are going to allow everybody to play with whomever they would like to. All you need to do is set up your playing partners ahead of time and let us know when you sign in. We will have 1 dedicated tournament volunteer taking care of all of the pairings on the leaderboard, so just poke him in the ribs a little bit if you notice that they aren't getting it right! ;)

The extra 9 holes will be spread out throughout the normal course and the Blackhawk Shelter area (ala Shanty Open). We might even throw in some fun basket positions and added OB (ala Valentine Massacre). It should prove to be a really fun and challenging course to play!

There are going to be a slew of CTPs to give away. For an additional $5, there will be 4 CASH CTPs and up to a dozen other CTPs...including a TURKEY! In actuality, it will be a gift certificate for the grocery store, but who is counting! Everyone likes to pick their own turkey out, right?! 8-)

Schlafly is generously donating a couple of kegs of their delicious product to the event. Since this is a 1-Round event, we will try to get the beer spread out so that everyone can enjoy some during the round (I am thinking that a beverage station in between 8 and 12s teepad should work). There will also be soft drinks and water available for those that don't partake.

We are really hoping to put on a fun, yet competitive, event. I hope to see you all there!

discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: The 23rd Annual Turkey Toss - FRIDAY - 11/29/2013

Postby f-b-i- on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Sad day. Another great tournament ruined. sad day. :cry:
f-b-i-
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 am

f-b-i- wrote:Sad day. Another great tournament ruined. sad day. :cry:

...somehow it's always the people that NEVER volunteer their efforts towards running an event that have the first thing to say...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby oldmandowntheroad on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Greg - Sounds like a super fun day to me !! Thank you for putting in the time and effort to put the tournament on !! Much appreciated !!
oldmandowntheroad
Bogey Poster

Postby Stiffcomp on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:07 pm

f-b-i- wrote:Sad day. Another great tournament ruined. sad day. :cry:

Whats this guys problem? The tournament sounds like a great time!!! Thanks Greg for all you do!!!! 8-)
Stiffcomp
Bogey Poster

Postby f-b-i- on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:27 pm

ask me fri and ill tell u what my problem is.
f-b-i-
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 pm

...or you could just keep it to yourself. I guarantee that zero of the DEDICATED tournament staff is going to have the time or desire to listen to your rants before, during or after the event. If you have something intelligent to offer, please do it on the discussion board BEFORE we are trying to sign in 100+ people.

f-b-i - I believe you are referring to this being a 1-round 27-hole event vs. a 2-round 18-hole event. The decision was made so that we could finish in the light and be out of the park before the parks department feels the need to send us another e-mail complaining about us being there WAY past closing time. Additionally, it was also a nightmare trying to sign up 100+ people for a 9AM start the day after Thanksgiving...there is always a high percentage of late arrivals. In the past we have added extra holes to accommodate for extra people showing up, even when there was a pre-registration available. As a club we hate turning people away, but last minute hole additions only added to the nightmare of trying to get things started and finished on time. Even when we pulled it off and started the first round right around 9AM, the second round inevitably finished in the dark. Sorry to disappoint you f-b-i, but late November has proven to be the WRONG time to run a full field, 2-round event at JB. We are trying something new this year...deal with it. Next year we will have ample time to reserve the course at Willmore (open until 10PM) as well and maybe try out a Day/Glow event...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 am

The 27-Hole layout is being finalized this afternoon. So far, it looks like there will only be 3-4 holes in the Blackhawk Shelter area. The rest of the temp holes will be spread out throughout the normal course. If you played in The Shanty Open a while back, a few of those holes will be used and some NEW surprises will be thrown in! Should be awesome!

The CTP list is starting to pile up! It looks like we should have a TON of flags out there. I am guessing that we should be close to 20 CTPs when it is all said and done! If you want to make a CTP donation, please let Mark Dude or myself (Greg D'OH) know ahead of time and we will get your name/business advertised in shining lights! ;)

Get your longjohns ready and we will see you on Friday morning!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby MADDISC on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm

We will probably need a few baskets for the extra 9 holes.
I will bring what I have but it s not enough.
If you have a basket you can bring I would greatly appreciate it.
We will be teeing off at 10 am so get there early and get singed in.
It is only 27 holes but it will definitely take awhile to get through.
We will have beverages but no grub so you might want to bring something to eat during the round.

Otherwise it should be a great day 50 and sunny :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Any questions or comments let me know
Looking for 135?
27x5=135

Mark D

314-713-8640
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby Mattress on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 am

Pint Size Bakery will be representin with 2 CTP packages. Thanks for all you do fellas.
Mattress
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments