4 Club Showdown, Sept 7 Sat

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

Re: 4 Club Showdown, Sept 7 Sat

Postby irwinje on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Chris,
I think you need to take a step back and put things in perspective. We're not dealing with matters of national security here. And, you're not working for a fortune 500 company with thousands of employees and share holders to account for. You're volunteering for a NOT FOR PROFIT organization. And, while I appreciate your efforts, I feel like you take this responsibility way way too seriously and over complicate things entirely too much.
Most of us will never reach a level of competition where we can rely on this for our income, so lets just relax and try to have with our hobby. Your militant attitude just turns me (and others) off from wanting to be involved in events. Every time I think about playing an event, I start reading all the details and it just annoys me that everything has to be so rigid. What ever happened to going with the flow and just having fun? I'm as competitive as the next guy, but this isn't a PDGA sanctioned event, its just a cross town rumble. I think you need to really think about this and remember that this is supposed to be a not-for profit organization. I am thrilled about getting new courses and understand it all takes money but (sometimes) I feel like the club goes too far and focuses on revenue generation way too much.
This is (of course) just my opinion, but I've heard from numerous people that share this opinion and I'm just vocalizing it here to help make the club's effort better in the future.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby gregwil2 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:54 pm

I think I have about the exact opposite feeling. It seems like disc golf is way too laid back and go with the flow for me at some events. I think many people like having structure to tourneys that is followed. This seems to be one of the comments that people like "Well Run tournaments". This means starting on time, having accurate plans for the day (lunch, second round, ctps, etc). I think Chris is trying to get some structure to and event that wasn't that structured last year. It may have been because of the weather and the first time this event was held, but it was a quagmire. Teams that thought they were full had open spots, players were "overbooked" for teams, some people showed up expecting to just play without any coordination. It was a mad scramble to just get things somewhat organized.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Postby irwinje on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Greg,
I agree that some structure is good. but, you can be laid back and still start on time, have plans for lunch, etc. I think the St. Charles & So. Ill club are great examples of a laid back atmosphere with structure and organization. The JCS events I've been at have been well done as well. But I only have a couple events to draw that opinion from. The RCF events just seem to be over complicated with all the extra fees and everything else.

Also, this event has been going on for years. It used to be the cross town rumble before there were 4 separate clubs. Now, it has evolved into the 4 Club Showdown or whatever.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Jeff, thanks for your input. I like rules/guidelines for events. The Cross Town Rumble had its share of problems. The 4 Club Showdown had problems also in its inaugural event. The event is held late in the year for obvious reasons; 2013 membership rolls are at their highest. The rules are in place to create a level playing field and prevent abuse. Using players that are not current members of your club to play for your team (pulling them from another club in some cases) is unsportsmanlike. Recruiting players away from another team is unsportsmanlike. The whole intent of the 4 Club Showdown is to pit members of the 4 clubs against one another in a fun competitive environment and help clubs' meet obligations. If you were not a current member of STL or SCC by Aug 26th, then you waited too long. If you want to play this tournament this year, you'll have to join JCS or SICG.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Holy smokestack, had to stop reading. Glad I have to work both days at Lou Fest, sounds like way more fun than.....
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby emptv on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Disc Up,
"Shut up and throw". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $167/$117
Sweeps= $10/$17
Fun= $443
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby scorekeeper on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:04 am

If you missed your chance to play this event you could always help work on the new course

I would welcome you with open arms and lunch

you could still play disc golf after we all work together

Just say'n :D :D :D OUT !
MKPH #1 KREWE in STL. R .C. F. 2014 TAG # 411
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Postby Chris K on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:14 pm

STLDGC team so far;

1 -- Justin Workman -- 10.59 --
2 -- Jim Misuraca -- 10.34 --
3 -- Roger Reyes -- 10.28 --
4 -- Mike Oliveras -- 10.16 --
5 -- Zach Williams -- 10.14 --
6 -- Greg Dohogne -- 10.02 --
7 -- Steve Bagnard -- 10 --
8 -- Robert Sotta -- 9.86 --
9 -- Joe Jaegers -- 9.69 --
10 -- Chris Kinsella -- 9.64 -- alternate
11 -- Tom Williams -- 9.6 --
12 -- Francis Albanese -- 9.55 -- alternate
13 -- Tom Murdick -- 9.54 --
14 -- Atti Baz-Dresch -- 9.46 --
15 -- Jason Samuelson -- 9.46 --
16 -- J.C. Lightle --
17 --
18 --
19 --
20 --
21 --
22 --
23 --
24 --
25 --
26 --
27 --
28 --
29 --
30 --
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby scorekeeper on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:19 am

Blah Blah Blah
The idea behind this thing was for the 4 clubs to field teams made up of current Club members.
Not to argue who and what team those persons could play for.
That said I believe if you are a current club member to any of these club the player is free to choose the club they would like to play for.
I also think that the club that is closest to that players heart should be the one they represent.
If this is to be a friendly competition then why are people trying to stack teams and pull from other clubs ?
I am glad that i have a course to build and will not have to listen to all the wining and bitching that goes on during this event
Captains should field a team of local players and have fun competing
If the captain stacks a team did his team really win or are they just glory hounds.

it was this type of crap that made me not want to play the outlaw event that I helped start back in 2008
Because some people lost sight of the fun that was being had and got caught up in the competitive need to win.

Good luck to all that show up, but please don't loose sight of the fun this game can bring us all :ugeek: :roll: :mrgreen:
MKPH #1 KREWE in STL. R .C. F. 2014 TAG # 411
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Postby emptv on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Disc up,
Scorekeeper is right, growing pains are a bitch. :cry: Every year at the Outlaw event we have them, one way we are working on is to possibly lower the $$ winnings, seems to curtail a lot of stacking if the money isn't worth it to the players that aren't there for the correct reasons. There will always be the "do it my way or the highway" type of players, but it all comes down to the person who picks the roster on what kind of people they want to have representing them on the team. Yeah, people get mad but while not everyone can compete everyone can go and play some golf, party, and support your team. By the way, supporting your team while you cannot compete is one of the best ways to show team spirit and team spirit goes far in making teams next time.
Will the lower payout work? History will show us.
Francis, you should see the drama going on with Rockford. It is there turn. :shock:

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $167/$117
Sweeps= $10/$17
Fun= $443
emptv
Ace Poster