The Crusade - SCCDGC - April 13

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

The Crusade - SCCDGC - April 13

Postby magic on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 am

Here's our next event. The ace pool starts at $332 and there will be many opportunities to hit an ace. We are planning on doing things a bit different for this event with the River City Ratings. There will be a set range of ratings for each of the 3 am divisions. Once we figure out what they are for sure I'll get them posted. If you don't have a River City Rating yet though you have the option of playing in the Advanced Amateur division for merchandise or Open/Masters for cash.
magic
Ace Poster

Re: The Crusade - SCCDGC - April 13

Postby STARFIRE on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

So if someone doesn't have a rating they HAVE to play Advanced? This could turn away a lot of beginners. I have friends that want to play but aren't willing to pay to lose in Advanced when they are Rec players.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm

STARFIRE wrote:So if someone doesn't have a rating they HAVE to play Advanced? This could turn away a lot of beginners. I have friends that want to play but aren't willing to pay to lose in Advanced when they are Rec players.

You are correct. If you don't have a rating you either have to play in Advanced or Open. Letting someone choose which division they want to play in kind of defeats the purpose of the rating system. It only takes 1 round at almost any local event to have a rating. I'd say there is a good chance your friends may already have a rating. And if not then they haven't played any area events for almost 2 years and most likely never. If at their very first event they expect to come out winning I'd say there is something wrong with the thinking. Here's another way to look at it. If we didn't use the ratings system and your friends are truly Rec players then they probably would lose anyways due to people sandbagging or playing in the wrong division.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:25 pm

It's still pretty early, but here is the current pre-registration list. We decided to go with the ratings spread suggested by Greg & Ted (the ratings guys). We did combine rec and novice simply because there just aren't enough players in those divisions to justify their own field. I still think the rec limit of 7.99 may be a bit too low and we may not get many players in that division. We may end up adjusting it slightly if needed. Please keep in mind that this will be the first event in the area using set ratings and I'm sure they may need to be changed up a bit. The only way to find out how well the ratings spread will work is to actually use it. One final thing...we won't force anyone to play Open. If your rating is 9.50 or higher you can still play in Advanced although you might get harassed a bit!

Open (9.50 and above)
9.88 Derek Green
9.54 Steven Brown

Masters (Over 40 years of age)
10.03 Tim Sullivan
9.53 Jeff Junte
9.29 Jim Nelms

Advanced (8.80 to 9.49)
9.31 Andy Majesky
9.00 Matt Vehige
8.89 Harley Nolan

Intermediate (8.00 to 8.79)
8.34 Dan French
8.15 Joe Ilardi

Recreational (7.99 and under)
7.96 Keith Ohmes

Unknown
Kevin Jelinek
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Adrian, I've looked at it a bit closer and it looks like quite a few of the Sharpshooters and Chain Gang events aren't included in the ratings. I also don't see many of those club's events posted at all. If the scores for these events aren't posted or given to the ratings guys they can't be included. I'm sure if you give the scores to the ratings guys they would include them. I hate turning anyone away, so if some of these beginnners you are referring to have played in at least one event that hasn't been included in the ratings I'm sure I can get a rating for them if I ask nicely.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Where is the current ratings list? I played in events last year but it shows my rating as n/a with a non-member status, although I'm a 2013 member and I'm almost certain I was a member last year. Maybe last time it was updated I wasn't a member, considering I just joined at the Endi Open Saturday.

So JCS and SCDGC events are allowed to be included in the ratings system? I assumed it was strictly STLDGC events and members only.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:38 pm

The SCCDGC events have always been included in the ratings. I do send the event scores to the guys to include them though. If the events for other clubs aren't sent to the ratings guys then obviously they won't be included...that's not their fault. As far as I know though any events for the 4 local clubs will be included in the ratings, but whoever is running the event needs to take the effort to send it to them. They are very easy to work with.

I saw your post under the ratings on a different thread, but haven't received a response yet...I'm sure you will soon. I'm only speaking for myself, but as far as I know your rating will be unlocked shortly. It does take a bit for the ratings guys to get an updated list of members. Your rounds are still being rated even if it isn't showing yet that you have joined one of the clubs.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby Bison on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 pm

we turn the scores into teddy as far as i remember maybe joe has not sent them to teddy yet i will try to figure it out cause adrain has played in a few events this year but teddy would be the best bet to figure it out
Bison
Par Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:12 pm

If we can get the scores in time, most of the people I mentioned will have ratings.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby Bison on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 pm

all we need to get teddy is the distance for the holes we played from what tees total distance of the course layout that we played and the scores is all he needs i believe
Bison
Par Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments