2013 worlds in st. Louis

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

2013 worlds in st. Louis

Postby Discinfool on Sun May 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Hey was wondering if RCF has put any thought into putting a bid in for worlds next year instead of doing the A tier. You guys have a number of great courses. Plus it would be nice to see it in the middle of the country since after the last 2 years being on the west and east coast!
Discinfool
Bogey Poster

Re: 2013 worlds in st. Louis

Postby mkane on Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm

The RCF does has the ability to pull off a worlds event; 18 holes at Bridgeton, 36 holes at Sioux Passage, may be a slight speed bump, 36 Tee Pads, 72 Pin placements......I am pretty sure it is this type of thought discussed by the RCF when the subject of Worlds is broached. An interesting opportunity, the Worlds, plus maintaining the current disc golf schedule.

On the bright side:
RCF is maturing, and working with the Chain Gang, Sharpshooters and St. Charles DGC.

This weekend these clubs worked together, strengthening the relationships and exploring opportunities that exisits when clubs work together. What I saw was clubs, not just RCF, but the Chain Gang, and the St. Charles DGC TD'ing the tourney courses. I saw Sharpshooters inviting disc golfers for the "cave". I kinda think I saw the St. Louis Open become an interest for every club.

This kind of cooperative effort is great, and as the clubs work together, more work can get accomplished.

On the not so bright side:
36 Tee Pads, 72 Pin placements is a lot of work.
The remaining schedule is still at min 1 event per month
The deadline for us to enter a Worlds bid is May 31< 2012 >

I would think it would be great for St. Louis Disc Golf, I suggest to at least send in the bid, and the rest of us.??????????

VOLUNTEER!!! That's the first obvious step, that gets this snowball running downhill.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 am

Having a world's here would totally be a feather in the cap for not just the RCF, but like Mark said, all the clubs that help out. Also, to add on to what Mark said, the 36 at Sioux and 18 at Bridgeton may be a bit of a speed bump. But, the course at Collinsville is pretty centrally located between JB, Rock Spring, and Endicott. The course is always ready for tournaments and makes for a difficult course when played from the Blue tee's.
The course in Highland is also brilliant, but that's really starting to get outside of St. Louis. Collinsville, on the other hand, is just across the river. I have never been involved in a world's before so I'm not quite sure about how many courses would have to be put to use. Just tossin that up in the air!!! 8-)

Johnny Lynn
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby schimmy on Tue May 08, 2012 1:15 pm

I would love to see a Worlds here in STL as well and would be willing to help. But first you gotta ask which worlds are you talking about: AM worlds, PRO worlds, or AM/PRO worlds?

I think it would be great if you gave each of the local clubs a division. Such as SCDGC gets REC, Chain Gang gets INT, RCF gets ADV, and JC gets JRs and age protected. Then, each of those divisions would play courses that are on the same side of town as the respective club.

I'm just throwing out an idea. I also think its a little late for a 2013 Worlds. It might be a better idea to try for a 2014 Worlds.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
schimmy
Birdie Poster

Postby rondisc on Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Shimmy,
You are a very quality golfer and so am I, but there are way to many details that have to be on board with all involved a year before hand. STL locals have always known this but it is now coming quickly to the for front. Why not do USWDGC or TSUSM and try a Major first. You still have to put on a 100% quality event and even more so, than worlds, but then again there are a few less people. We can and will put on a Major or Worlds in time. It has to be 100% better event than the A-tier, and it CAN be. Once you do a Major you re-access(sp) the whole project and fix minor details. Then you decide if the players meaning club personnel truly buy into the long term project. There were a few opportunites that showed themselves to all this weekend, but I feel we have the club personnel in place to fix the opportunities. Worlds is still a VERY tall order any a few years off. Remember you would be only 1 volunteer, many more must, be guarenteed for a whole week. That also means you cannot play and must take a week off work. Sorry, but not trying to kill your mojo in any way. STL is not there yet, my disc golf friend. You don't know me but all that do will say.... he is just telling you the way he looks at the total opportunity for the club in time.

Peace out,
RonSTL
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby Bison on Tue May 08, 2012 9:44 pm

I am on the JCS board and after reading this post I felt I needed to throw my two cents in not that it matters and this topic is just an idea but why on earth would you stick juniors and age sensitive groups to play down here? Not sayin we wouldn't be stoked to host an event of this magnitude but really juniors at West City?
Bison
Par Poster

Postby Discinfool on Wed May 09, 2012 3:54 pm

i was not trying to cause a comotion on the board. i think it would take a group effort on the part of all the clubs i am pretty sure worlds consists of 7-8 rounds and it would involve all of the clubs and all of the courses for each division. which would mean travel for everyone involved it was just a thought st. louis.
Discinfool
Bogey Poster

Postby rondisc on Wed May 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Discinfool wrote:i was not trying to cause a comotion on the board. i think it would take a group effort on the part of all the clubs i am pretty sure worlds consists of 7-8 rounds and it would involve all of the clubs and all of the courses for each division. which would mean travel for everyone involved it was just a thought st. louis.

No sweat Discinfool, group and individual sacrifice for more than tournament week is truly a starting point.
This project starts at least 5yrs prior. My question to you are you willing to take at least a week off work and not play to volunteer?

Peace,
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed May 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Ron,
I am right there with you when it comes to hosting a major inside of a year's time...that just isn't enough time to properly prepare. However, I do think that it is interesting that someone who hasn't doanated ANY volunteer time to the local tournament scene (other than the normal course maintenance/improvement stuff and maybe some spotting back in the day) sure seems to have a lot of expertise on how it should be done. I know that you have been all over the place and have seen many successful tournaments, and therefore probably have some good input to offer. I, for one, take it all with a grain of salt knowing that you do absolutely nothing to progress DG in your own hometown. All you seem to do is bash our efforts and tell us that we are doing it wrong. Have a little pride and step up to the plate buddy!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Thu May 10, 2012 7:00 am

Mr Doh,
I might take exception to your statement " All you seem to do is bash our efforts and tell us that we are doing it wrong. Have a little pride and step up to the plate buddy!" I remember when you were not even part of this seen. I have many 1000s of volunteer hours in these courses, oh you do not remember you were not even in STL. I did not even play the STL open till year 5. I worked everyone of them. Oh yea one recent example work day was at jb 10 am I was there on time, what time and what you show up and then walk around. I refuse to get into a pissing match with you. Yes I will step back into some roll but not in Dohs time.

Everybody have a grateful day, the statement kind of leaves a sour taste this early in the morning.

Peace
rondisc
Ace Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments