STLDGC Event Discussion Open Forum

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby I'm a Flicker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 am

Yep! The last St.Louis Open player!! Who's this? Mike or Ben?
I'm a Flicker
Bogey Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby Mdr3000 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 am

Mike. Ben will be coming down, also.
Mdr3000
Bogey Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby I'm a Flicker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 am

Mdr3000 wrote:Mike. Ben will be coming down, also.

Nice... Atleast we'll have a division!
I'm a Flicker
Bogey Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby magic on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:13 am

irwinje wrote:I challenge the club/board to set some tournaments that cater specifically to the pros wants and see if they are successful.


Jeff, I thought you were already doing this with your POT league. Your original acronym came about because it was going to be the Pro Only Tour, so I assumed you were gearing it towards the pros. It sounds like it has everything you say the pros want…100% payout, no players meetings, no games, no break between rounds. Has it been successful?

Let’s face it, there is only one thing that the pro players want…added cash. I think we are using this word pro somewhat incorrectly. There is only 1 true pro player in the area. Then there are maybe 5-10 people who I would consider “local” pros. If the RCF has 500 members how can they reasonably be expected to spend a lot of time on 2% of the membership. If any business or organization tried to cater to 2% of the membership it won’t be very successful.
User avatar
magic
Ace Poster
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby magic on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:18 am

gflap wrote:Slowest players I have seen around here are the so called pros.


Gotta agree with flapper on this one. As a TD I can tell you that 90% of the time it is the open cards that are the last ones finished. Even for the first round of an event I purposely try to put the open cards on the first 1-2 holes, so they aren't backing everyone up. That's assuming it's not a full field and every hole isn't being used. I don't have any issues with it, but at many events (and almost every event that is 1 round) it is all of the ams waiting around for the pros so they can get paid out and go home.
User avatar
magic
Ace Poster
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby irwinje on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 am

magic wrote:
Jeff, I thought you were already doing this with your POT league. Your original acronym came about because it was going to be the Pro Only Tour, so I assumed you were gearing it towards the pros. It sounds like it has everything you say the pros want…100% payout, no players meetings, no games, no break between rounds. Has it been successful?


Andy,
I started the Players Tour for this reason, but also changed the name from Pro Only to Players Only because I didn't want AMs to feel left out and wanted a bigger draw. The league is going alright, but I was hoping to get some help running it and I'm not. Its also somewhat inconsistent trying to jump around courses and having off weeks. The concept is good, but we're still not drawing huge crowds. It would probably be bigger if I were on FB and could advertise that way, but I hate FB and won't have anything to do with it.
As I already mentioned in my long rant on the last page, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with catering to the AMs. But, in all fairness, I think it would be cool if they would have pro events too. I tried to cater to the pros when I was involved and thought I did an ok job because I could identify with their wants. Though the Players Tour is great, I think the club needs to step up and run and event and add $100 to the POT.
Time to get serious about having fun
User avatar
irwinje
Ace Poster
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:32 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO.

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby magic on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:45 pm

The RCF is running an A tier in May which I believe requires $1800 added to the open division. They are also running a B tier later in the summer which requires $500 added to the open division. That is $2300 right there. I'd call that stepping up and running an event with added cash for the pros.
User avatar
magic
Ace Poster
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby I'm a Flicker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:19 pm

magic wrote:The RCF is running an A tier in May which I believe requires $1800 added to the open division. They are also running a B tier later in the summer which requires $500 added to the open division. That is $2300 right there. I'd call that stepping up and running an event with added cash for the pros.

Adding the bare minimum hardly counts as adding cash! That's what your required to do!
I'm a Flicker
Bogey Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby discdoh on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm a Flicker wrote:
magic wrote:The RCF is running an A tier in May which I believe requires $1800 added to the open division. They are also running a B tier later in the summer which requires $500 added to the open division. That is $2300 right there. I'd call that stepping up and running an event with added cash for the pros.

Adding the bare minimum hardly counts as adding cash! That's what your required to do!


We could always just run events that don't require any added cash. Running an A-Tier that requires lots of added cash and usually receives next to zero monetary donations is not a requirement of the RCF. Most sponsors are more than willing to supply giveaways and similar donations. They almost never are willing to hand over cash donations. The club typically is the main contributor of this event because of this. We do it because we want to, not because we have to. Is your employer ready to kick down some cash? If so, PLEASE let us know...
Hoppy 2013!
User avatar
discdoh
Ace Poster
 
Posts: 1276
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:57 am

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby magic on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm a Flicker wrote:
magic wrote:The RCF is running an A tier in May which I believe requires $1800 added to the open division. They are also running a B tier later in the summer which requires $500 added to the open division. That is $2300 right there. I'd call that stepping up and running an event with added cash for the pros.

Adding the bare minimum hardly counts as adding cash! That's what your required to do!


I was just commenting on Jeff saying that the RCF needed to step up and run an event with added cash. The A tier and B tier are exactly that. I would have to disagree with $2300 in added cash as hardly counting. As Greg points out a lot of that comes directly from club funds. Personally I hate the fact that they do it. Assuming the club makes about $15 from a membership that is about 150 members that have to join the club just so some cash can be added to a handful of pros at 2 events.

I can certainly understand why the pros are sometimes frustrated with the payouts especially when the payout amounts are often higher in the am divisions then they are in the open division. What I don't understand is that 95+% of players don't go to a tournament expecting to win money. Then there is that less then 5% that go to an event and are almost guaranteed to win money every time, but still complain because it's not as much as they would like to.
User avatar
magic
Ace Poster
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest