STLDGC Event Discussion Open Forum

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

STLDGC Event Discussion Open Forum

Postby I'm a Flicker on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 am

How come it is that St. Louis tournaments can never attract any pros? Only at the A tier do I ever see em. Last yr only 2 local people played open and I don't mean masters
I'm a Flicker
Bogey Poster

Re: The March C-Tiers 2012 - 2 PDGA Events - 3/24 & 3/25

Postby discdoh on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:59 am

I can only speak for myself, but as a local pro I only play club events. There are a couple of reasons in my situation, however. I am a VERY active board member and do not like combining running PDGA tournaments and playing in PDGA tournaments. I can get away with it in the club events, but there is too much at stake when playing a PDGA event. I hate destroying my PDGA rating simply due to the fact that I have WAY too much other stuff on the mind...no warm-up, people crawling down my back, people crawling down the other board member's backs, etc. The other reason is that I am not currently a PDGA member. This falls under the same reasoning as not playing in PDGA events - I am WAY too busy to play in any events, so why bother renewing when my funds are tight to begin with. I understand that I should be supporting the sport that I love in every possible way, but the PDGA just doesn't fit my agenda at this point and time. Paying the $10+ non-member fee blows donkey, so I just don't play. We don't have enough volunteers anyway.

I can't speak for everyone else, however. There have been good turnouts at some events, when the weather is perfect and the field isn't full the morning of. I am not calling STL Pros "fair weather fans", but sometimes it certainly feels like it. This weekend looks like it might be decent weather, so we will see if my theory holds up. I guess, in reality, STL is a hot bed of AM players when it comes down to it. There is nothing sad about this whatsoever, but it can be discouraging to the mindset of a local pro. I totally understand this.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm a Flicker wrote:How come it is that St. Louis tournaments can never attract any pros?

This is a chicken or the egg question. Pros have a different focus when playing events, especially sanctioned events. They are there for competition and payout. Things like kegs of beer, player's packs, merchandise, and CTP's aren't as attractive to them as they are to most AM players.

Much like any institution looking to make a profit, the club caters to the largest target market that will yield the greatest opportunity for revenue generation, AMs. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this strategy, but it does send a message to the pros that they are not as important.

Not that the pros are over-sensative Sally's, but they have typically been members of the club longer than most AM's (as they have come through the ranks) and paid their dues, etc. Now that they have reached "pro" status there is a certain amount level of entitlement. I think the most fair way to put this is that they would appreciate a tournament that is geared to them and their interests - competition and added cash.

By catering to the Am's there is a lot of "unnecessary" pro time wasted. They have to wait for player's meetings, slow AM's, games, prize distribution and all before they get their money and get to leave to go home. Additionally, the prizes, beer, etc usually takes money away from the payout.

We all know it is the most logical way to do things, but I think most pros wish for a tournament that is catered to their wants. In all reality, this would likely be one of the easiest tournaments to run because you don't have to take all the extra steps that you do with a traditional event.
Show up - pay - round 1 - quick break - round 2 - payout - leave

Again, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the way the club chooses to put on events, but there should be at least a couple events/year that are geared for pro players (sanctioned or not) Sanctioned events are the most logical since they affect player rating, but this thread is a good example of the fundamental problem. You have a couple more experienced players asking for a more difficult/technical layout and people are complaining about it and "tired of playing the pro's way." Sorry Greg, but nothing in St. Louis is ever done "the pros way" unless we know Nikko is coming to town and even then that's questionable.

I challenge the club/board to set some tournaments that cater specifically to the pros wants and see if they are successful. Try doing a Masters vs Open event again (there were like 40 people that showed up to the first one). Try doing a Pro-Only event and see if we get a better turnout and maybe even some spectators. I might be wrong but we'll never know if we don't even try...
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby I'm a Flicker on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Jeff Irwin... I Love You!... Now with that being said, lets get to the good stuff. I'm calling out every AM and PRO in St. Louis who won’t step-up and challenge themselves!!! Jim “I like winning plastic” Miz… Steven “My hero” Bagnard… Zack “I can throw my putter 400’” Williams… Chris “I can throw my putter 500’” Albanese… Derek “AM” Green… Mark “Boogie” Eastwood… Jake “Huh?” Harrison… Cory “White Birch” Uhle… Justin “I’d rather go fishing” Bunnell… Tim “I have an owie on my big toe” Sullivan… Jerry “I rob AND rock the cradle” Barkledge… Roger “Quick to throw a fit” Reyes… I’m positive I’m leaving some people off here and for that I sincerely apologize! I meant to call you out as well!

***Disclaimer: This was all in fun, don’t get your panties in a bunch and go crying to your Wives/Girlfriends/Boyfriends!
I'm a Flicker
Bogey Poster

Postby Mdr3000 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 pm

They're tired of the Iowa boys coming down and showing them how to play their courses...
Mdr3000
Bogey Poster

Postby gflap on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:43 am

Slowest players I have seen around here are the so called pros.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby gflap on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 am

Jeff, you make some good points. I am all for playing quality courses and be rid of ring of fire and putting contests. Let's just play and be done. And I will be done 4 holes ahead of the pros.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby I'm a Flicker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:04 am

Now you have "corncobs" calling you guys out!
I'm a Flicker
Bogey Poster

Postby I'm a Flicker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 am

Mdr3000 wrote:They're tired of the Iowa boys coming down and showing them how to play their courses...

Hopefully your a OPEN player? Then we can see if there's any truth in your comment! Doubtful thou...
I'm a Flicker
Bogey Poster

Postby Mdr3000 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:05 am

I'm a Flicker wrote:
Mdr3000 wrote:They're tired of the Iowa boys coming down and showing them how to play their courses...

Hopefully your a OPEN player? Then we can see if there's any truth in your comment! Doubtful thou...

You know it, son! Is this Bryan?
Mdr3000
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments