3 Man Battle Royale - SCCDGC - March 18th

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

Re: 3 Man Battle Royale - SCCDGC - March 18th

Postby magic on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 am

Here is a complete run down of the event for those that care.

A very big thanks to Corey O’Brien and his wife for coming out to take care of lunch and watch over everything while we played. Also thanks to everyone else who helped run things. You know who you are.

The ace pool started at $95. There was $120 added to bring the total to $215. Damon Galmiche hit an ace on hole # 9! The ace pool pays out 70%, so $150 goes to Damon and $65 carries over to the next event which is the Crusade.

There was a CTP on every hole. Half of those were $10 cash each and the other half were donated merchandise. We didn’t keep a list of the winners.

I was going to do a putting contest and a long drive contest. By the end of both rounds I was worn out and think most everyone else was also. We just did a putting contest with 2 winners each getting a $20 merchandise voucher.

Below is a breakdown of the expenses:
$5/team goes to the club = $200
Ace pool $1/man = $120
Shelter rental/course closure = $40
Cash CTP’s = $100
Merchandise CTP’s = FREE
Putting contest = $40
Miscellaneous expenses = $35
Keg of beer = FREE
Total = $535

There were 60 players that paid a $3 non-member fee for a total of $180. I took that off of the expenses to bring the total expenses to $355. With 40 teams the total expenses were $8.88 per team. I could have done this differently and had the expenses higher per team and then added the $180 non-member fees proportionately into the payout. Either way you do it though the payouts would still be exactly the same.

The A flight paid out cash and all other flights paid out merchandise vouchers. For the A flight I went exactly from the PDGA payout tables for pro divisions and used the table paying out 45% which is “strongly encouraged for all events”. For 12 players it said to pay out 6. There was a tie for 6th and rather do a playoff they split the cash. That is the only reason you are seeing it pay out 7.

For the B and C flights I did go off of the junior division PDGA payout tables. What can I say, I like to pay deep.

With the D flight having 10 teams the 1st place payout would have been higher then B and C flight if I went straight by the payout table. I didn’t like that, so I did go one place higher on the payout table and paid out 6 places rather then 5.

Below is the payout for each flight and what it would have been if not for ties. I don’t think anybody did a playoff, so all ties split the money. I would possibly be wrong on that though.

A Flight
12 teams @ $50 = $600
Minus $8.88 per team for expenses = $106
Total payout = $494
1st - $163
2nd - $114
3rd - $76
4th - $59
5th - $47
6th - $35

B Flight
9 teams @ $50 = $450
Minus $8.88 per team for expenses = $79
Total payout = $371
1st - $128
2nd - $89
3rd - $67
4th - $50
5th - $37

C Flight
9 teams @ $50 = $450
Minus $8.88 per team for expenses = $79
Total payout = $371
1st - $128
2nd - $89
3rd - $67
4th - $50
5th - $37

D Flight
10 teams @ $50 = $500
Minus $8.88 per team for expenses = $88
Total payout = $412
1st - $126
2nd - $90
3rd - $69
4th - $53
5th - $42
6th - $32
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 am

Here are the scores and payout. The A flight paid out cash and all other flights paid out merchandise vouchers. I'm pretty sure all ties split the money rather then do a playoff, but could be wrong possibly.
Attachments
2012-03-18 Battle Royale Scores.jpg
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:15 am

As always there were some complaints from a few of the pro players about the payouts. I honestly don't know how I could have possibly done anything different. I did have 2 people ask me if the payouts posted were per team or for each person. When I said per team I could tell they weren't happy. As is it I paid out $494 cash to the A flight. If I paid out per person it would have been $1,482. I also paid out straight from the PDGA payout tables. If you don't like their payout tables I'm the wrong person to get that changed. Only 10% of your entry fee goes back towards the club to improve disc golf for everyone. That isn't much taken away from your entry fees. There are other unavoidable expenses that we can't just eat the cost on so the pros can have a higher payout.

I posted the complete breakdown of everything. If you just want to complain then you won't get very far with me. If you want to take the time to see how I did everything and give me some constructive criticism I'd be happy to listen to what you have to say.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby gflap on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:45 am

Another fun tourney even though I didnt win any payout. Thanks Andy.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Good luck Magic, very interesting the thoughts on payout. Was not there, but amazing you filled the field. $20 per man is still to much with the payout. To me that is a night in a nice hotel, or 1/3 of an entry fee to a A tier of a .... This is our difference, to this day. Still love ya and I know you do a wonderful job running tournaments.

Peace
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 am

I thought about it some more and I’m even more confused now that there could have possibly been any complaints. Well I'm actually not surprised since some people will complain no matter what.

Let me break it down a different way that I was thinking about. If all 3 members of your team were SCCDGC members then you only had to pay $50 to play. Of that amount $8.88 was taken out for extras and expenses. There would have been $3/team for the ace pool, $2.50/team for the cash CTP’s, and $1/team for the putting contest. That leaves $2.38/team or 79 cents per person for actual expenses that did not go directly back to the participants.

For that 79 cents per person you got: shelter rental, course closed, coffee, all of the ice water you could drink, keg of beer, cups for water and beer, 10 merchandise CTP’s, scorecards, 40 flags, paint for the tee pads…I’m sure I may be missing something. I realize 79 cents might feed some kid in Africa for a week, but things are a bit different here. If you really want to complain that you didn’t get enough for your 79 cents there is nothing more I can say.

Again, if all 3 members of your team were SCCDGC members the actual payout was 82.24% of your entry fee. If you include the ace pool, CTP’s and putting contest I paid out 95.26% of your entry fee. How can the payouts not be enough when I paid out 95% of your fee?

In the past I did somewhat use my own payout tables. To try and keep things more uniform this year and use what I assumed was an acceptable payout table for everyone I went straight from the PDGA payout tables. For whatever reason that still wasn’t acceptable to some people.

As I figured to be the case I hear complaints, but no one wants to offer any suggestions. I’ve thought about it myself and I don’t see how I could have done anything different. If what you want is 100% payout without any extras like an ace pool or CTP’s there are options for that in this area. Jeff Irwin runs his POT league every other week which pays 100%. I’m pretty sure some of the other weeklies in the area pay 100%. Those might be better options for you.
magic
Ace Poster

Previous

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments