St. Louis Collegiate Qualifier

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

Re: St. Louis Collegiate Qualifier

Postby UofADiscGolf on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:38 pm

UPDATE:

The St. Louis Collegiate Qualifier WILL be taking place.

Actions are in place. A tournament flyer will be posted soon. Entry fee will be $120 per team.

Two of the top five ranked teams have confirmed they will be in attendance (#2 Purdue and #3 Arkansas). Were hoping to max out this tournament at 18 teams (72 players).

This will be a National Collegiate Championship Qualifier. This means that the highest placing team that does not already have a bid to the National Collegiate Championships will receive one.

Hoping to get a lot of media attention for this tournament. Alan Kane (head of collegiate disc golf through the PDGA) will be posting the qualifier on the PDGA website once details are finalized. The tournament is now listed on the qualifier list on the collegiate disc golf website http://www.ncdgc.com/qualifying.htm. If possible i'd like to get some attention with this tournament in the local newspapers (or etc.) in St. Louis.

Trying to make this tournament a BIG DEAL so that next year this can be one of the collegiate qualifying MAJORS for the 2012-2013 season. The long-term plan is to make this tournament the National Collegiate Matchplay Championships in March 2013 (similar to March Madness) with brackets and teams seeded based on their collegiate ranking.

We will keep you guys updated on the details as they develop. In the meantime, lets ensure that at least one Missouri collegiate team (hopefully multiple) will be in attendance at this qualifier.

Ryan
Arkansas Disc Golf
UofADiscGolf
Bogey Poster

Postby emptv on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Disc up,
A "press release template" would make it easier to submit this to the media, will this be made available by anyone?

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $167/$117
Sweeps= $10/$17
Fun= $443
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby UofADiscGolf on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 pm

In the process of working on a media template for the press release and also a tournament logo for the custom stamped discs we will be printing.

Here is the email I sent to teams yesterday afternoon:

Hello everyone,

I'm proud to announce the Gateway Collegiate Classic disc golf tournament will be held in St. Louis, Missouri on the dates of March 3-4. This will be a Nationals qualifier, thus the highest
placing team that does not already have a bid for Nationals will receive one.

I've been working closely with the St. Louis Disc Golf Club(River City Flyers) to help coordinate and organize this tournament. The format and cost for this tournament are very similar to the
other collegiate disc golf tournaments. See the attached flyer for additional information regarding the format, courses, scoring, etc.

I have already received confirmation that Purdue (#2) and Arkansas (#3) will be in attendance at this tournament. This qualifier will be an excellent opportunity for collegiate disc golf teams to gain
an idea of where they stand against other collegiate teams in preparation for the National Championships.

Cost for team entry is $120. This includes a players pack(likely a tournament stamped disc) and lunch between rounds on Saturday. All other funds will be awarded to the top three placing
teams.

The tournament will be capped at 18 teams, so register as soon as possible. St. Louis is a central location and I would not be surprised if we are able to fill the field. Teams are more than
welcome to bring more than one team, but colleges with only one team will be given preference over "B-teams". We will also have a womens division. Please let me know if you think you may
also be fielding a womens team.

Registration deadline will be Wednesday, February 22nd(unless special circumstances exist). Please make checks payable to "River City Flyers Disc Golf" at the following address:

River City Flyers
c/o Steve Kleiber
923 Comstock Station
Saint Peters, MO. 63376

There is a good possibility of having a 9-hole event INSIDE A CAVE at a venue south of St. Louis the Friday before the tournament starts. Are there teams that may be interested in checking this out(because I know Arkansas is)?

Please let me know if you have any questions. This is a work in progress. I will keep everyone updated as more details are solidified. St. Louis is a great city with awesome disc golf courses. Don't miss out on this exciting event!

Already, Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois Carbondale have contacted me with interested in attending this tournament.
UofADiscGolf
Bogey Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Here is a flyer and additional details for The Gateway Collegiate Classic. Also attached is a press release from Ryan Black that can be downloaded and distributed.

Ryan has also let me know that any local students still have time to form a team. It only takes 4 Golfers to take your shot at getting an entry to the National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships!

STL Qualifier Press Release revised.doc
The 2012 Gateway Collegiate Classic Press Release
(553.5 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby discdoh on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 am

Awesome stuff!

I am your contact for course layout at Jefferson Barracks. This event will be a few weeks after the Valentine's Massacre, so the course can be set up in any layout that is preferred. I certainly will take suggestions on where to place everything. JB can range from attackable to daunting, so pick your poison. Barry Shultz can attest to the fact that JB will humble you when set up accordingly...a few years back I believe he shot his worst rated round ever! Tell me what kind of SSA rating you would like and I will start working on it.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby UofADiscGolf on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I don't know much about SSA ratings, but I do know the JB course pretty well.

JB is where the singles competition will take place. I would like the course to be set up similar to our National Championship course, the Hippodrome.

I know most the pin placements at JB. Me and my roommate (who also helps me run the Arkansas club and is from STL) will discuss the layout. I want the course to be challenging, but I don't want distance to be the most challenging factor. Tough pin placements is key. I'm guessing the layout will be similar to the layout for the STL Open.

After I discuss the layout with my roommate I will post the suggested pin placements and will be completely open to changes or ideas.

To keep you guys updated, here are the teams that have contacted me thus far:
Arkansas
Purdue
Illinois
Southern Illinois Carbondale
Western Kentucky
Murray State

That's a great start!
UofADiscGolf
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:15 am

Sounds like you have it completely under control. If you would like to, let me know when you have a chance to come on out, move the baskets around and finalize things. There might even be a new pin position or two in by then! PM me or MADDISC (Course Captain)...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby UofADiscGolf on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 am

Here is a link to the facebook event http://www.facebook.com/events/310879762291746/

Received an email today from Western Illinois. They will be in attendance.
UofADiscGolf
Bogey Poster

Postby UofADiscGolf on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 pm

The tournament logo is attached. It turned out awesome. My buddy Bob Buser, who is working on a degree in Graphic Design, put it together.

Based on the number of views this topic has received, I can see the great amount of interest STL disc golfers have in seeing the collegiate disc golf scene progress.

This will be a monumental event for the Midwest collegiate disc golf scene. Excited to show the city of St. Louis how determined the disc golfers in and around STL are to make the sport of disc golf grow as a hole.

Thanks for all the help!
Attachments
STL Qualifier Logo.jpg
UofADiscGolf
Bogey Poster

Postby SteveK on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:49 pm

We have our first registered team.
Murray State A team.
Michael Griffin
Pete Choukalas
Zack Johnson