Three Man Throwdown Against MS, Oct. 23 Highland, IL

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

Re: Three Man Throwdown Against MS, Oct. 23 Highland, IL

Postby dehaas on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:58 am

at the moment i'm sitting at 18 teams that have sent information to me for their teams. this is pretty incredible, considering when i decided to put this together i told myself i would be happy with a turnout in the 40-50 range. i've been contacting some members of the highland parks and rec department about the event and mentioned that it would be a good opportunity for the local newspaper to come out and get some pics of the event. hopefully that will get the local disc golf scene some press, and more people in the area will get turned on to the sport.

i'm waiting on the final touches on the hotstamp, and what i've seen so far looks pretty sweet. i think it's going to look great.

i'm hoping there are lots of people who've been reading the thread but either don't have a 3some yet or aren't sure if they want to come out and play. pairs will be allowed to play if you can't find a third, and each man will still pay the $15 entry. you just lose the advantage of having a third person shooting. hell, you could even come out and shoot as a single if you wanted to. i've already spotted 3 temp holes that fit in behind hole 8's basket and work back up to hole 9's tee if it turns out we need some more holes to play. theoretically the max would be 36 teams, i wouldn't put 3 teams of 3 on a card. we're quite a ways off from that, but i'd rather be prepared than having to scramble at the last minute.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:04 am

if anybody is looking for a partner there is a guy from centralia wanting to come out and play but can't find 2 teammates. if you need a third man let me know, and i can pass the word along to him so he knows he will have a team if he makes the trip.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:21 am

There is a very slight possibility here. Very slight, I'll know more in a couple days at most.
Steve
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby irwinje on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:32 am

Derek,
I'm trying to assemble a team, but I might need a 3rd person, or maybe I could be the 3rd on someone else's team. I know the Ozarks are going on this weekend and a lot of people are going out of town, but this is for a good cause, so I want to participate in it.
Thanks,
Jeff
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby emptv on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Disc up Jeff,
Dave G. has blown out his knee and cannot play. Jen G. will fill in for Dave if we cannot find a 3rd player, but she has said to go ahead and try to get a 3rd. If you would like, Jamie A. and myself would be happy to have you join the fun, if you still need a team and you want to hang with a couple of LAKERS. If you already have your team set, no worries I had just found out Clint from Centralia cannot make it.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Too bad about Dave, I wish him a speedy recovery. I just sent you a text, but to make it easier, I'm in as your 3rd! I'm always down to hang with some of the Lakers!
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:06 am

I picked up the discs and everything looks good. I have a few white medium wizards, white supersofts, black supersofts, and black stupid supersofts to choose from along with a stash mini. At the moment 21 teams have submitted info, and I've heard of a few teams who plan on signing up that day. Flags were put up marking the tees today, and the baskets were all moved to their tournament locations aside from hole 14. There is a halloween walk in the park tonight and tomorrow night and they use the tunnel on hole 14. It will be moved to the short position first thing Sunday morning. The basket locations will be:

1 original
2 original
3 new
4 original
5 original
6 original
7 original
8 new
9 new
10 original
11 new
12 new
13 new
14 original
15 new
16 new
17 new
18 original

The 2 circles of brush in the fairway of hole 1 will play as OB...shouldn't be an issue with 3 guys shooting though. The basket on hole 8 is about 150 feet longer than the original placement, and that patch of prairie flowers in the middle of the fairway will play as OB, as well as anything on or to the left of the walking path on the hole. The prairie grass on hole 17 will also play as OB, moreso for speed of play. If you land in it, the entire group will look for 2 minutes and move on. People can go fish them out on the lunch break or at the end of the day. I want to avoid a massive bottleneck on that hole due to people spending 15 minutes looking for discs. If I can swing it I may have a spotter on hole 17 to help judge where they went in at to assist in finding errant shots. Each round will have 3 CTP holes and 2 longest putt holes, and I will run 2 ring of fires during the lunch break. Ace pool will be 2 bucks, and will pay out 100% if an ace is hit. If there is no ace there will be a throw off, and 50% will be paid to the winner and the other 50% will be donated with the proceeds.

Raffle tickets will be 5 bucks apiece, or 3 tickets for 10 bucks. You can buy as many tickets as you want, and you aren't limited in any way as to how many prizes you can win. I'm going to have a plethora of prizes including a charcoal grill, 6 discs signed by Ken Climo, a disc signed by Avery Jenkins, a disc signed by Dave Wiggins Jr, a double nutsac bag, a fade zombie bag, a set of fade bag straps, a bundle donated by paragon including a shirt an score card clip board, 3 $15 gift certificates to play it again sports, 2 gateway dri fit shits, 2 gateway hats, an lsdiscs shirt, and an lsdiscs hat.

We will be using the shelter next to hole 9, so please park in that lot. The city of Highland asks that we do not park in the grass, if that lot fills there are some spots next to hole 1 and some more spots further down the access road near hole 12. Keep an eye out for fisherman near some of the water holes, and please use discretion while in the park. All in all it's going to be a great time, come out and enjoy the fun.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:22 am

This tournament was a great time.........Perfect weather, & an amazing turnout of supposedly 102 participants!! Nice job, Derek!!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby emptv on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 am

Disc Up,
A truly great moment in time was had at Silver Lakes on Sunday. The weather conditions were as pleasant as could be asked for and the turnout was inspiring. What a picturesque time as the pontoon boats were passing on the lake and fishing was going on at more than one hole.
Thank you for putting this on to all who helped, including the spotters on hole #17. The job y’all did in finding the disc was extraordinary. Thank you to all of the sponsors, the swag that was raffled off was impressive indeed and the design on the event disc was very well done. Thank you to the parks dept. for having the course so well groomed and last but not least of all, Thank you to all the participants for making this a overwhelming success, last post I saw said 18 teams and there was 102 disc golfers that turned out :shock: :o to not only play disc golf but also help out to find a cure for this insidious disease.
I will plan on being at this event every time it is put on.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Yes, awesome turnout, weather and well run event. The raffle prizes were awesome as well as the give away stickers, CTPs, minis and tourney stamp discs. And, having 2 shots at it, I think I even figured out holes 13 & 15 :mrgreen:
irwinje
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments