Ice Bowl Series

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

Re: Ice Bowl Series

Postby STARFIRE on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 am

I would prefer to play one round. Starting at 10 is enough for me in this weather. It will definitely be fun searching for discs in the snow. See you there!
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:38 am

I completely agree with STARFIRE. 1 round of 24 is plenty. Neil and I played a round yesterday at JB and it wore me out. Trudging through the snow takes its toll. Granted, we did also shovel off all of the tee pads, but the poor footing really takes a toll on your legs by the end of the round. With all of that said, JB only had 5 or so inches of snow. From what I understand, Quail should have close to 10 inches. The round also took close to 3 hours, and we were the ONLY people on the course. The shoveling added some time, but not much as we had 2 shovels working. Unless we start at 9 AM, I don't see how it would even be possible to get 2 rounds of 18 holes in with the conditions. I think it would be cutting it close even if we started at 9 AM. Plus, there is the possibility of a couple more inches tonight...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby gflap on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Shoveled the teepads yesterday at the ridge and I would say there was at least 8 to 9 inches of snowfall there. threw one drive and took 5 mins to find it. bring ribbon and tape. I'd say 1 round of 18 would be plenty but it looks like it has been decided to play 24.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby magic on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 pm

For what it's worth there was an ice bowl at Quail Ridge a few years ago with 6+ inches of snow on the ground. There is probably at least 8-10" out there now, but really it's all the same. There were a few discs lost and some time was spent looking for discs, but there weren't any major issues. Two rounds of 18 were played starting at 10:00 and there was no problem finishing before it got dark.

There are a good group of guys that play Quail all of the time, so as long as you have your name and phone number on your disc there is a very good chance of getting your disc returned. Also if the temp holes are used it is an area of the park that no one ever goes to. I'm sure that Tim or someone else will walk that area once the snow melts to find any lost discs.

Tim and Greg did shovel the tee pads yesterday and they are putting salt down on them today, so they should be in great shape even with any additional snow today/tonight. Shelter # 1 has been rented (it's the one near hole 6). They also cleaned all of the snow out of there, so it should be in good shape as well.

I have no idea if it will be 1 round or 2 rounds. Last I heard is they were leaning towards 1 round of either 24 or 27 holes. I know one issue with the temp holes is that there is a huge hill you have to throw up for one of the holes and they weren't sure if you would be able to walk up it with the snow although I don't think it's much steeper then some of the other holes out there. They are going to walk the area today to see how it looks.

I'm sure it still might be a last minute decision on what format to play, but either way it does start at 10:00. Hopefully nobody lets the snow or format make your decision on playing or not. Either way it's going to be a good time and you can't beat how nice the park looks like right now with the snow!
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:57 pm

The word I am hearing is 1 round of 27 holes for tomorrow. 6 of the holes are in the woods off holes 4 and 5 which we are looking to use for permanent installation. I won't have a chance to play them, so hopefully there will be a little feedback from others as to how they played. I'm not sure of the exact placement of the other 3, but it sounds like the first one will be played after hole 3 and then work your way back to hole 4. You will then play 4, then the 6 extra holes which will take you back to hole 5. I would just say to please pay attention at the player's meeting as I'm sure they will have the exact details then. As always, things could change before tomorrow morning...
magic
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:10 am

The Quail Ridge tourney info:
Get there early, register and bring food, if you bring five or more cans of food Shanks will give you a free disc, sponsored by our Sponsor Gateway.

Everyone gets a free throw at the basket to get Blue Tickets.

We need to be sure we start at 10AM Sharp.

Club inventory will be there key items you should ask me about:

US Masters CFR Katana now 20 bucks & a chance at a 9 hole Disc Golf course of your own

Star Vulcans are in

Tye Die Katanas

SS Buzzes

New Nukes

R Pro Wahoo

Ice Bowl Merchandise
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:15 am

Well here it is the final morning and you just saw the standings for the Ryder Cup and you think to yourself “man all that snow..” Well let me make it just a bit easier for you to be at the Quail Ridge for the series finale.

Let us remember the primary reason, you do this because less fortunate people cannot, it is not about the money, it is about our commitment to a cause by attending events that make a difference.

Now on to the task, the Saturday Tourney at Quail. The final count down, now lets just review all the action.

What will be going on:

12 CTPs for $10;

HOLE CTP

1 Johnny Mac’s $25 gift card

2 50/50 – Blue Flag

3 Case of Schlafly Beer - Red Flag

5 SLIK Shirt –Towel – Caribiner

6 50/50 – Red/Orange Flag

8 Case of Schlafly Beer Blue Flag

10 Ice Bowl Disc

11 50/50 – Blue Flag

12 Johnny Mac’s $25 gift card

15 Mystery – CTP

16 US Masters Champ Katana & a chance at a 9 hole Disc Golf course of your own

17 50/50 – Blue Flag

What will be going on:
Top Story: “Grey Tickets” 1ea for $1 or 8ea for $5.

The Grey Tickets – I can’t say enough about these tickets, they are the main tickets you would buy if you want to win:
Basket, Back Pack Bag, Ice Bowl Merchandise; Hoodie, T Shirt, Towels, Discs, a case of Schlafly, a $25 Johnny Macs Gift Card.

You see what I know is that the only people who have these tickets so far are the people who paid or brought in food. No one has purchased any of these tickets. Perhaps you should, you can buy a ticket for 1 buck apiece or 8 tickets for 5 bucks.

Moral of the story:
Increasing your odds to win the grey ticket drawing now is simple, bring in a bunch of cans or buy some tickets. All the money goes to the Food Bank.

Next Story: “Blue Tickets” 1ea for $1 or 8ea for $5, for tickets or throws.

This basket is going to go today, and we have added 2 more items to this raffle, so now you have three items to shoot for. The Innova basket, a $25 Johnny Macs Gift Card, a case of Schafly.

When you throw at the basket, you can increase your chances to get tickets; land in the 20-foot circle two, blue tickets; land in the 30-foot circle one blue ticket.

On the other hand, if you just want to buy the tickets feel free to do it, same price; 1ea for $1 or 8ea for $5.

Moral of the story:
Increasing your odds to win the grey ticket drawing now is simple, bring in a bunch of cans or buy some tickets. All the money goes to the Food Bank

See you there if you dare!
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby DISC N TWEEK on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:57 pm

I know that it was advertised as two rounds at Quail but all the talk of one round of 24 holes. Im just curious if it has been decided one or two rounds.

jeff mccluskey
DISC N TWEEK
Par Poster

Postby Chris K on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:08 am

Quail Ridge Score and Point Totals

Name -- Quail Ridge -- Quail Ridge
---------- -- Score -- RC Points
Bryan Johnson -- 66 -- 52
Jerry Barklage -- 74 -- 51
Damon Galmiche -- 74 -- 51
Tom Murdick -- 76 -- 49
Francis Albanese -- 77 -- 48
Ben Hart -- 77 -- 48
Greg Dohogne -- 78 -- 46
Mike Eckler -- 78 -- 46
Corey Uhle -- 79 -- 44
Matt Augustin -- 80 -- 43
Steve Bagnard -- 80 -- 43
Jeff Junte -- 81 -- 41
Dan Ruder -- 81 -- 41
Joe Jaegers -- 82 -- 39
Steve Kleiber -- 82 -- 39
Tim Lewis -- 82 -- 39
Adrian Pena -- 82 -- 39
John Reeds -- 82 -- 39
Shawn Boley -- 83 -- 34
Josh Cole -- 83 -- 34
Bruce Cortrecht -- 83 -- 34
Justin Douglas -- 83 -- 34
Gary Polkinghorne -- 83 -- 34
Mark Flinn-Eastwood -- 84 -- 29
Tim Sullivan -- 84 -- 29
Brian Stroketter -- 84 -- 29
Keith McPeak -- 85 -- 26
Alan Amos -- 86 -- 25
Ricky Wells -- 86 -- 25
Tim Wiegard -- 86 -- 25
Chris Ursch -- 87 -- 22
Ray Vuichard -- 87 -- 22
Ben Galmiche -- 87 -- 22
Joe Bryson -- 88 -- 19
Jose Kimbrow -- 88 -- 19
Mark Dudenhoeffer -- 89 -- 17
Jamie Albanese -- 90 -- 16
Chris Kinsella -- 90 -- 16
Kyle Potter -- 90 -- 16
Mark Kane -- 91 -- 13
Matt Nivens -- 91 -- 13
Scott Paul -- 91 -- 13
Dan Moss -- 91 -- 13
Brett Louks -- 91 -- 13
Joe Louks -- 92 -- 8
Jerry Mitts -- 94 -- 7
Eric Fussell -- 95 -- 6
Jim Nelms -- 95 -- 6
Simon Hart -- 96 -- 4
Rick Maassen -- 99 -- 3
Debbie Polkinghorne -- 109 -- 2
Danielle Amos -- 116 -- 1
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:36 am

The Ice Bowl at Quail Ridge was a thing of beauty. 8" to 10" blanket of snow on the ground; the sun was out; the wind was quiet; the tee pads and surrounding area were shoveled; paths were shoveled; the ribbons made finding discs easier; the players enjoyed themselves; the chili and 1/4 lb hot dogs sold out. This was a truely picturesque event.
We played one round of 27 holes using 9 temp holes. I like what is happening at Quail and I liked the new temp holes. They need some trimming but the flow and shot selection added to an already fun golf course.

We drew the winners of both raffles;
Grey Tickets - Basket, Backpack Bag, IB Hoodie, IB Disc, Johnny Mac's $25 gift card, Schlafly Beer, IB Shirt, IB Hat, IB Nesting Mini
Blue Tickets - Basket, Johnny Mac's $25 gift card and case of Schlafly beer.

Grey Tickets --
Basket -- Mark Kane
Backpack Bag -- Chris Kinsella
IB Disc -- Thor Kooda
J Mac's $25 -- Rickey Wells
IB Shirt -- Robo
Schlafly Beer -- Doug Bickell
IB Hoodie -- Ben Hart
IB Hat -- Kyle Potter
Nest Mini -- Thor Kooda

Blue Tickets --
Basket -- Joe Jaegers