Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Alton, IL

Re: Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Since the tee signs don't mention O.B.'s or Mando's, all you can really do is speculate about those. We tend to play all roads as O.B. & the walking path behind hole #6, on hole #2, we haven't played that path as O.B. since you throw across it right off the tee, but maybe it should still be. By the way, Hole #2's tee is by far the worst tee area on the course. That one needs help. We have figured par probably ought to be 56, with hole's 9 & 18 being the par four's. sharkbite, I think maybe we witnessed your bird on #14, we were the group in front of someone today who banged in a long one on that hole. Managed a 57 today, which is the best I've been able to score at Rock Spring so far. And when we were finishing today, a couple of guys had the chainsaws busy on hole #11, so hopefully that hole is getting cleared out some!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:22 pm

Nice Jeff,
I have to play that course soon. shot way to many today at Unger. 778 in 3 holes is the answer. Never seen the wind so INTENSE. Lost on 1 disc, and I never thought I could turn over star max!!!!

Cannot wait so see this course.

Peace
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:53 am

I've been told that the path is OB on hole 2, but if you cross it that you're still in bounds, since the tee is on that side of the path to begin with. I agree, this tee needs some work, and I was surprised that the tee isn't off to the right more and further back (up the hill and near the parking lot). The way it is now the hole plays nice, that tee is always rough and kind of slick though. I'd also heard that hole 3 has a mando left of the tree to avoid shots over the road. I'd just assumed this was because of the arch thing that the Xmas lights were on, but now it's gone. I kinda wish they would leave the fallen tree on 11, to make the hole a bit harder, but I can see why they want it cleared out. Maybe it's just something about this course, but I have yet to throw a round that I've been pleased with. I always manage to shoot horrendous out there. Unger on the other hand, I've managed to shoot a 65 and felt pretty good about it. That was only the second round I'd played out there, and I think I could manage to shot right around par if not a little better. With my skill level I'm pleased with that, and figure I should be able to shoot close to par at alton also, but it hasn't fared well yet.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:05 pm

So I guess what your saying about hole #2 is that the path is played like a creek, where your O.B. only when you are on it, instead of on & across. I agree, I think it would be an awesome hole if the tee was on the other side of the path, up the hill & back some, & you could probably find a nice flat spot somewhere over in that area. And then the path(and across) could & should be O.B. I think there should be a mando on #3, hopefully that is how that hole will be played. I'm the other way around, I've yet to shoot anything close to what I think I'm capable of at Unger! A 67 is my best out there, & only once have I broken 70 at Unger! But anyway, I'm liking the Alton course more each time I see it!! :D
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby kaht on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm

jeffthrow6892 wrote:I think it would be an awesome hole if the tee was on the other side of the path, up the hill & back some, & you could probably find a nice flat spot somewhere over in that area.

I agree, the current tee kinda stinks. There's a lot of open room up on the hill across the path, it would have made a nice long hole. Yeah, it would be wide open. But, in it's current position it's pretty open from the tee anyway. Putting it up on the hill seems like you could have easily added another 200ft.
kaht
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:31 pm

jeffthrow6892 wrote:I think it would be an awesome hole if the tee was on the other side of the path, up the hill & back some, & you could probably find a nice flat spot somewhere over in that area. And then the path(and across) could & should be O.B.

That is where the "pro" tee is. I've played from there and it does mke the shot more difficult with a hhigher possibility of going OB.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Here ya go: #11 we cut some of the fallen tree and left some for you to navigate and removed the log under that tree so maybe they can get a mower in there. #2 not the best spot to drive from because you throw over a ped path and all the water drains down from #1 right into the tee of #2, the tee should be across path in front of blue. #3 YES is MANDO, would you want to drive up the road to see a disc flyn at you window, a little right turn is not going to hurt ya. #1 I laid some more mulch at this hole because it is nearly impossible to walk on after good rain, so this will give you some grip. I know what your thinkin, how bout #6 dont worry we will get some mulch in there too. As for pars i think all is par 3 except #9 #18 par 4 and maybe for average week arms #14. If you have any thoughts let it out!!!!!! hell i hardly get under 70, but i just have FUN....
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:10 pm

irwinje wrote:
jeffthrow6892 wrote:I think it would be an awesome hole if the tee was on the other side of the path, up the hill & back some, & you could probably find a nice flat spot somewhere over in that area. And then the path(and across) could & should be O.B.

That is where the "pro" tee is. I've played from there and it does mke the shot more difficult with a hhigher possibility of going OB.

I haven't even considered throwing from the long tees out there, I think the course is QUITE challenging from the regular tees!!! So I haven't noticed where a lot of the longer tees are at. Some of them I have noticed. I kind of compare it to a place like Bluebird, why does that course even have a back set of tees??? It's tough enough from the reg. tees, & so is Rock Spring!! But anyway, if hole #2's back tee is over there, we might just throw from that one from now on!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby listen4chains on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Regarding Bluebird:
I kind of compare it to a place like Bluebird, why does that course even have a back set of tees???
there is only 9 holes there, so it makes it 18, just like at Schroeder Park(Manchester) so you get a more complete round in, sort of :D
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby sharkbite on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 am

kaht wrote:
jeffthrow6892 wrote:I think it would be an awesome hole if the tee was on the other side of the path, up the hill & back some, & you could probably find a nice flat spot somewhere over in that area.

I agree, the current tee kinda stinks. There's a lot of open room up on the hill across the path, it would have made a nice long hole. Yeah, it would be wide open. But, in it's current position it's pretty open from the tee anyway. Putting it up on the hill seems like you could have easily added another 200ft.

The problem is it will always be wet, unless its mid Aug. Me no likey mando on 3, :x and if you try to crush a anhyzer your just as likely to go in the road and hit a car. At least with a hyzer you can go above the cars.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left"
sharkbite
Bogey Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Springs Park